If a change is made...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Kendal Briles and Tom Herman are two names I'm not seeing being mentioned that I would be interested in

Unfortunately Kendal Briles has some baggage attached to him from his Baylor days. Great offensive mind though. Outside of the dumpster fire year with Willie Taggert at FSU in 2018, Briles has put up big numbers. His offense is a big reason why Sam Pittman has been successful at Arkansas.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately Kendal Briles has some baggage attached to him from his Baylor days. Great offensive mind though. Outside of the dumpster fire year with Willie Taggert at FSU in 2018, Briles has put up big numbers. His offense is a big reason why Sam Pittman has been successful at Arkansas.
The Briles (both of them) were cleared of any wrong doing in that scandal. They were the sacrificial lambs. I'd be in support of Art or Kendal.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Lot easier to win in the ACC versus the SEC and BIG. Plus Atlanta. Plus S.E. football Recruiting. Should be one of the most attractive jobs in the nation. If our leadership would take their blinders off.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Briles (both of them) were cleared of any wrong doing in that scandal. They were the sacrificial lambs. I'd be in support of Art or Kendal.

He was cleared of breaking NCAA rules...but he wasn't exonerated of being morally bankrupt. GT would not be willing to take the hit by hiring Briles:

“In each instance, when the head coach received information from a staff member regarding potential criminal conduct by a football student-athlete, he did not report the information and did not personally look any further into the matter,” the panel said. “His incurious attitude toward potential criminal conduct by his student-athletes was deeply troubling to the panel.

“As one panel member observed at the hearing when questioning the head coach’s lack of response to this information, ‘a lot of these things that we’re talking about, they’re not NCAA rules violations . . . (or) university policy violations. They’re felonies. (W)e’re talking about rapes and physical assaults,’” according to the report. “The head coach failed to meet even the most basic expectations of how a person should react to the kind of conduct at issue in this case. Furthermore, as a campus leader, the head coach is held to an even higher standard. He completely failed to meet this standard.”

Briles is a brilliant coach. There's more to being coach, especially at a school like GT, than just X's and O's.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I enjoy the discussion of who could be the next coach but have fully accepted the fact that I have no idea who would work.

During the last search I thought Satterfield and Neal Brown were excellent choices.... and they have not worked out.

Sam Pittman? Who tf is that? What a clown! Shows what I know.

Taking everything with that large grain of salt I think the below coaches could would be interesting choices.

Jamey Chadwell - back to scheme and system. Feels like going back to a comfortable place football wise. I do wonder if that offense is too adjacent to CPJ's for some of the donors to back it. If hope that wouldn't factor in.

Deion Sanders- probably the opposite of Chadwell but who knows, might be crazy enough to work.

Sean Lewis at Kent State. Young coach with significant offensive numbers. Midwest guy though and I don't really see any types to the South.

Tashard Choice - why not.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Jamey Chadwell - back to scheme and system. Feels like going back to a comfortable place football wise. I do wonder if that offense is too adjacent to CPJ's for some of the donors to back it. If hope that wouldn't factor in.
Chadwell is much more similar to Malzahn than he is to CPJ. If the donors are more worried about looking too much like the 3O than winning football games then GT football deserves to die the slow, painful death it’s in the middle of dying.

Last year Coastal threw for 3400 yards and 265 a game. So far this year they’re averaging basically the same rate at 255 per game. Joe Hamilton threw for 3060 in 1999 and Godsey threw for 2906 in 2000. Georgia Tech as a team has only thrown for 2,800 in the 15 games since last year.

In Malzahn’s national championship appearance at Auburn in 2013 they only threw for 2422 yards total and 173 per game. Coastal threw for 1000 more yards last year in one fewer game.

If our big donors are too ignorant or too cowardly to see that Jamey Chadwell’s option offense not only works, but is more akin to the spread offenses most high octane teams run today (ie Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Ole Miss) than it is to CPJ, then they can all go to hell.

Last edited:

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Lot easier to win in the ACC versus the SEC and BIG. Plus Atlanta. Plus S.E. football Recruiting. Should be one of the most attractive jobs in the nation. If our leadership would take their blinders off.
depends on if you think the ACC survives the next wave of massive realignment. Conference is already pretty far behind in cash

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell is much more similar to Malzahn than he is to CPJ. If the donors are more worried about looking too much like the 3O than winning football games then GT football deserves to die the slow, painful death it’s in the middle of dying.

Last year Coastal threw for 3400 yards and 265 a game. So far this year they’re averaging basically the same rate at 255 per game. Joe Hamilton threw for 3060 in 1999 and Godsey threw for 2906 in 2000.

In Malzahn’s national championship appearance at Auburn in 2013 they only threw for 2422 yards total and 173 per game. Coastal threw for 1000 more yards last year in one fewer game.

If our big donors are too ignorant or too cowardly to see that Jamey Chadwell’s option offense not only works, but is more akin to the spread offenses most high octane teams run today (ie Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Ole Miss) than it is to CPJ, then they can all go to hell.

Chadwell, to me, is CPJ if CPJ had emphasized the Run n Shoot portion of his offense instead of the option part of his offense (think of his Hawaii days). I think the narrative would have been completely different if he focused more on the RnS concepts and mixed in his base option concepts.

To the people that say "Well, both are too time intensive to be good at either"....well, Chadwell is doing something similar to what I though CPJ should have done, and Chadwell is doing it VERY well. It can be done...and GT should bring that to the Flats.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell, to me, is CPJ if CPJ had emphasized the Run n Shoot portion of his offense instead of the option part of his offense (think of his Hawaii days). I think the narrative would have been completely different if he focused more on the RnS concepts and mixed in his base option concepts.

To the people that say "Well, both are too time intensive to be good at either"....well, Chadwell is doing something similar to what I though CPJ should have done, and Chadwell is doing it VERY well. It can be done...and GT should bring that to the Flats.
I was a little disappointed we didn’t fire CGC and go after Chadwell hard at the end of last season. I was scared one of the other medium sized schools with openings (Duke, VT, UVA) would have jumped on him. If I was in charge Chadwell would be my man. I’d do whatever it takes to get him. Make him an offer he can’t refuse, and if he refuses make him another one. He’s not going to hang around at CCU forever.

As of now the schools who have already made moves (Nebraska and Arizona State) and the ones who might look to make a move later this year or after the season (Auburn, Louisville, WVU, South Carolina, Texas, Northwestern, maybe FSU) I still think Chadwell fits the best here. There will probably be a lot of nationwide interest in Deion if he’ll take calls, but Chadwell is kind of flying under the radar. But I think he’ll be extremely successful at wherever he ends up, and I hope it’s not somewhere other than GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was a little disappointed we didn’t fire CGC and go after Chadwell hard at the end of last season. I was scared one of the other medium sized schools with openings (Duke, VT, UVA) would have jumped on him. If I was in charge Chadwell would be my man. I’d do whatever it takes to get him. Make him an offer he can’t refuse, and if he refuses make him another one. He’s not going to hang around at CCU forever.

As of now the schools who have already made moves (Nebraska and Arizona State) and the ones who might look to make a move later this year or after the season (Auburn, Louisville, WVU, South Carolina, Texas, Northwestern, maybe FSU) I still think Chadwell fits the best here. There will probably be a lot of nationwide interest in Deion if he’ll take calls, but Chadwell is kind of flying under the radar. But I think he’ll be extremely successful at wherever he ends up, and I hope it’s not somewhere other than GT.

IMO, there's more fan and media hype behind Deion than there is actual interest from P5 schools.

Not saying he isn't a good coach, or can't be good coach at the P5 level, but at our level of football there's way too much to lose to take a chance on a relatively inexperienced coach.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Just stop lol

For a school/alumnus that like to be the smartest people in the room, the people associated with the program from the top down have awful ideas and make horrible decisions.

I get it. Pretty much anyone is better than Collins at this point. But good lord. Some of y’all are impossible.

Butch Jones? BUTCH JONESSSSS?!!!?!! LIFE CHAMPIONS BRICK BY BRICK?!

Apologies to anyone who takes this personally. I’m studying for a test and needed to vent.

That is all. Is Geoff gone yet?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just stop lol

For a school/alumnus that like to be the smartest people in the room, the people associated with the program from the top down have awful ideas and make horrible decisions.

I get it. Pretty much anyone is better than Collins at this point. But good lord. Some of y’all are impossible.

Butch Jones? BUTCH JONESSSSS?!!!?!! LIFE CHAMPIONS BRICK BY BRICK?!

Apologies to anyone who takes this personally. I’m studying for a test and needed to vent.

That is all. Is Geoff gone yet?

Jamey Chadwell. Fight me!

Fight Me Bad Ass GIF by Holly Logan