Jamey Caldwell
Shawn Clark
Dave Clawson
Clay Helton
Derrick Mason
Will Muschamp
Ed Ogeron
Butch Jones

Here's my particular order. Each +/- means better/worse than CGC. And am NOT any type of expert on this stuff...just dreaming. :)

Jamey Caldwell+++Winner. Agile offensive scheme that puts mid-tier players in position to win. Can he recruit?
Deion Sanders+++Winner. Doesn't coddle, but still 'cool'. Generate some buzz to overcome negative messaging. Can he coach?
Clay Helton++Can coach. We've done well with Ga Southern upgrades.
Bill Clark++Can't ask for better turn-around story. Available today. Won't generate buzz. Is he ready to return? Health?
Dave Clawson++If you can win at WF...but why on earth would he leave there?
Shawn Elliot++Has done more with less at State. Doesn't look like the one who will take us to the promised land of 7 - 10 w/year.
Derrick Mason+Probable upgrade. Couldn't win at Vandy.
Will Muschamp+Upgrade. But too many unsuccessful tenures. UGA grad.
Ed OgeronSeems like an even exchange with CGC on paper
Butch Jones-Nope

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Here's my particular order. Each +/- means better/worse than CGC. And am NOT any type of expert on this stuff...just dreaming. :)

Jamey Caldwell+++Winner. Agile offensive scheme that puts mid-tier players in position to win. Can he recruit?
Deion Sanders+++Winner. Doesn't coddle, but still 'cool'. Generate some buzz to overcome negative messaging. Can he coach?
Bill Clark++Can't ask for better turn-around story. Available today. Won't generate buzz. Is he ready to return? Health?
Shawn Elliot++Has done more with less at State. Doesn't look like the one who will take us to the promised land of 7 - 10 w/year.
Butch Jones-Nope

The only way I agree to an Orgeron hire is if you also hire an interpreter to sit next to him at press conferences...

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would love either Caldwell or Leipold.

That said, I think fans need to understand what a huge rebuild this is going to be. Frankly, we likely have a larger rebuild in front of us than the rebuild CGC had to undertake.

I still these quotes are very telling.
"They've recruited a bunch of guys that other staffs think are overrated. That's fine, you have differences in evaluations, but they aren't a development program either."
"Chip [Long] knows what he's doing, but it's a really bare cupboard"
"Every good player on defense is gone or in the portal"

So really, it isn't just poor player development. It is also likely poor evaluating in recruiting as well which means the talent level is not as high as many in the fanbase think. Whoever comes in next likely has a bigger rebuild job than Collins did. Not only is a new coaching staff needed, but there is going to have to be significant turnover in the personnel and that may take a couple of years to achieve.

One other note: keep in mind that GT is paying $14MM per year in debt servicing (more than we spend on scholarships)- that is a huge reason why GT's AA is always in financial straits. GT has $33MM in principal due in 2023 so they must have a note (or two) that come due next year.

JacketFan137

Banned

Butch Jones-Nope
as much as i think he was carried by a generational group of talents (j jettas, clyde, jamar, burrow etc.), saying orgeron is an even exchange with collins is crazy lol

he’s by no means my first choice but the whole world would be calling him a massive upgrade

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
as much as i think he was carried by a generational group of talents (j jettas, clyde, jamar, burrow etc.), saying orgeron is an even exchange with collins is crazy lol

he’s by no means my first choice but the whole world would be calling him a massive upgrade
Like I said in my caveat...I'm just a fan. He feels like a very 'meh' hire to me and I'd hate to eat $MMs of debt to get him as the outcome. So let me change my position slightly "Ogeron + $12MM Debt == CGC" :)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Butch Jones-Nope
The order you have them in is fine, and I definitely do not want the bottom three, but every single one of these guys is a better coach than Geoff Collins.

JacketFan137

Banned
Like I said in my caveat...I'm just a fan. He feels like a very 'meh' hire to me and I'd hate to eat $MMs of debt to get him as the outcome. So let me change my position slightly "Ogeron + $12MM Debt == CGC" :)
that i will agree with. he’s gonna hold that national champ salary bump forever

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The order you have them in is fine, and I definitely do not want the bottom three, but every single one of these guys is a better coach than Geoff Collins.
Ogeron has already said he will never coach again. Most of the others we can't afford.

I still wager that Chip Long is going to get the nod. It's the easiest path to ensure stability.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

That said, I think fans need to understand what a huge rebuild this is going to be. Frankly, we likely have a larger rebuild in front of us than the rebuild CGC had to undertake.

"They've recruited a bunch of guys that other staffs think are overrated. That's fine, you have differences in evaluations, but they aren't a development program either."

So really, it isn't just poor player development. It is also likely poor evaluating in recruiting as well which means the talent level is not as high as many in the fanbase think. Whoever comes in next likely has a bigger rebuild job than Collins did. Not only is a new coaching staff needed, but there is going to have to be significant turnover in the personnel and that may take a couple of years to achieve.

One other note: keep in mind that GT is paying $14MM per year in debt servicing (more than we spend on scholarships)- that is a huge reason why GT's AA is always in financial straits. GT has $33MM in principal due in 2023 so they must have a note (or two) that come due next year.

Red, do you have anything that discusses this payment due in 2023 and how the debt is structured? I believe our loan/debt has been interest only recently and I'm hoping they were smart enough to refi it when rates were low and it's locked in at a lower rate than current rates. Seems like $33 million would be about 16% of the reported $200 million debt in total. Interesting to see where that money will come from, if there is a specific debt fund somewhere and how much is in it or if it is just coming from cash flow, which would likely be bad.

Also wondering how the increase in $ from the Comcast/ACC Network deal helps our cash flow position, if at all.

JacketFan137

Banned
Ogeron has already said he will never coach again. Most of the others we can't afford.

I still wager that Chip Long is going to get the nod. It's the easiest path to ensure stability.
there’s a time to stabilize the ship. there’s a time to buy a new ship. i think most people think it’s time for a new ship

bikeseat

GT Athlete
It's funny thinking about it. Deion in Atlanta would be the real embodiment of the #404 fakery/inauthenticity G***** peddled. No fake noise about how cool the program is. Deion wins and winning is cool. That's all there is to it. We would be trading in fakery for authenticity.

From an exposure perspective, we certainly lack it as a school and a program. We solve these problems immediately with one decision

CEB

Helluva Engineer

This is a travesty...

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
It's funny thinking about it. Deion in Atlanta would be the real embodiment of the #404 fakery/inauthenticity G***** peddled. No fake noise about how cool the program is. Deion wins and winning is cool. That's all there is to it. We would be trading in fakery for authenticity.

From an exposure perspective, we certainly lack it as a school and a program. We solve these problems immediately with one decision

As a former player, any thoughts on Deion as a coach, getting a staff together, etc.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Butch Jones-Nope

It's Jamey Chadwell. C-H-A-D-W-E-L-L.

Pretty embarrassing you can't get the name of our future coach right. Don't worry, when he wins at GT, everyone will know how to spell his name correctly. :)

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
So, my question is whether Deion can actually coach or is he winning with superior athletes? Regardless of what he can do for recruiting, we have lived through multiple seasons of someone who can't coach and we can't afford to go down that road again...

JacketFan137

Banned
So, my question is whether Deion can actually coach or is he winning with superior athletes? Regardless of what he can do for recruiting, we have lived through multiple seasons of someone who can't coach and we can't afford to go down that road again...
ultimately that is the gamble, but unfortunately any name that is remotely realistic to come here is gonna have some kind of question they’ll have to answer. can they coach, can they recruit, are they being carried by talent, is p5 too big for them, etc.

from what i’ve seen deions teams are playing good sound football. obviously the pressure of playing good at jackson state vs playing in athens, clemson or south bend is a little different, but i think deion has a clue what he’s doing and will bring a good staff with him

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I thought he was a perfect fit at LSU for exactly that reason.

1663772234617.png