If a change is made...

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Lebby could work.

ODU's guy is interesting, worth watching. The Virginia area is full of talent. He can use his staff to beef up Georgia connections. I tend to think area-fits are largely over-rated: get a good coach and they'll make the right connections.

Chadwell is still tops in my book. That feels like an obvious fit. No guarantee it'll work, but I think he has the highest chance of being successful.

Clay Helton has pulled off a quick turn around at Georgia Southern. Maybe lower risk, since he's run a top flight program before (with some success, but obviously not to their standard). His brother Tyson at WKU is also interesting.

If Bill Clark is recovered from his back issue, absolutely try to get him. Did wonders at a program that was actually dead for 2 years.

A reach: Jeff Traylor at UTSA. Great coach, great recruiter. Tons of Texas connections if we want to try to build recruiting ties out there. He wouldn't be here long, and I don't know if we can pry him from the state of Texas.

Johnson_buzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Lance Leipold? We want a guy with a track record, right? We probably won’t win out over Nebraska (if Nebraska is smart)... also probably not offering a whole lot more than Kansas currently, but I think anybody looking for a coach needs to get a “no” from this guy...
Let’s see what he does with Kansas the rest of the year. I understand the logic behind him though. That Kansas program was about as dead as we are currently and he has some real momentum but let’s be patient on him for a few weeks to see where Kansas goes

Johnson_buzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Lebby could work.

ODU's guy is interesting, worth watching. The Virginia area is full of talent. He can use his staff to beef up Georgia connections. I tend to think area-fits are largely over-rated: get a good coach and they'll make the right connections.

Chadwell is still tops in my book. That feels like an obvious fit. No guarantee it'll work, but I think he has the highest chance of being successful.

Clay Helton has pulled off a quick turn around at Georgia Southern. Maybe lower risk, since he's run a top flight program before (with some success, but obviously not to their standard). His brother Tyson at WKU is also interesting.

If Bill Clark is recovered from his back issue, absolutely try to get him. Did wonders at a program that was actually dead for 2 years.

A reach: Jeff Traylor at UTSA. Great coach, great recruiter. Tons of Texas connections if we want to try to build recruiting ties out there. He wouldn't be here long, and I don't know if we can pry him from the state of Texas.
Chadwell is definitely up there for me personally. It’s interesting you bring up Jeff Traylor, he has build a solid little program over there but I think it’s still a risk but at this point anyone could do better. I would like to see tech go after someone like lebby.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Let’s see what he does with Kansas the rest of the year. I understand the logic behind him though. That Kansas program was about as dead as we are currently and he has some real momentum but let’s be patient on him for a few weeks to see where Kansas goes
I'd argue Kansas was far more dead than we are. Problem with Leipold in my opinion is his age: he's already 58.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Chadwell is definitely up there for me personally. It’s interesting you bring up Jeff Traylor, he has build a solid little program over there but I think it’s still a risk but at this point anyone could do better. I would like to see tech go after someone like lebby.
Traylor is a Texas guy. Might be a bit of a Texas version of Collins, but he's got proof of concept at UTSA. I really don't know if we can pull him away, and even if we did I see him at either TAMU or UT-Austin first chance he gets.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This is my short list
1) Jeff Lebby- this should be most peoples obvious #1 choice.
2) Deion Sanders- I for 1 would love this. Could bring athletes we have never seen on the flats.
3) Tashard choice- He could probably use some more experience but here me out. Great recruiter (not as good as prime), played at tech, and already has respect from the players at the program, he also might come in and fix what needs to be fixed as HC.
4) Josh Gattis- Miami OC was at Michigan OC, younger guy.
5) Alex Golesh- Tennessee OC, simple but exiting offense. (By exiting I mean they actually score points.)
6) Pete Golding- Alabama defense coordinator, honestly just wanted someone from Alabama coaching tree other than…..
7) bill O’Brien- this dose not excite me
8) Alex Atkins
9) Myself- could promise more than 3 wins a year.
Choice could be interesting, but I would hate for him to be given a HC position at this point without some support. Bring in Gailey and maybe Curry to help him set up the organization. None of CPJ's players will be left, so he might be amenable to helping out. Help him put together a very good coordinator and assistant coaching staff. Get him to concentrate on recruiting and public relations. I don't doubt his abilities, but often times people who are promoted end up reverting to their old tasks when the new responsibilities get tough. I think with a lot of support, he could be successful here. However, he hasn't even been a coordinator yet. I think he has a bright future ahead of him and wouldn't want that ruined by bringing him up too fast without enough support to handle that large of a jump.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Fair.
Although I would say what he’s done so far is proof that his resume translates. They’ve already knocked off WVU and Houston so they won’t sneak up on anyone else. We’ll see what happens when they’re getting people’s best game...

I would be surprised if Nebraska doesn’t already have his name on a door somewhere

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
And just heard Mullen on radio and he basically said he is enjoying espn and the new lifestyle- not interested in open jobs
I think that’s what Mack brown was saying too, right up until he was announced as the unc coach
I understand the trepidation with Mullen. But people need to understand we aren’t going to get a Rhule or O’Brien or Harsin if they are available. Whomever we get will be a gamble and have some warts.
He obviously didn’t fit in at UF, much like Malzahn at AU later, but the man’s resume compared to what we hired last time is almost laughable. He would be a home run hire for tech.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Bill Clark is recovered from his back issue, absolutely try to get him. Did wonders at a program that was actually dead for 2 years.
I threw his name out last time. He’s coached in Alabama forever (he was the coach of the high school I attended), so I am not sure if he has a desire to leave.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
As a long time GT fan this is probably the lowest of low I've even seen our football program over an extended period.

I hope we not only find the money but fix the problem long term.

Johnson_buzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Calculated Risk
Dan Mullen is a Risk, don't get me wrong he can coach but is dan mullen really the best we can come up with. From what i know of him he is a great coordinator, is an okay recruiter and had 1 great year a Miss state and really pooped the bed at Florida.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For me at this moment:

TIER 1
Jamey Chadwell (HC Coastal Carolina)
Jeff Lebby (OC Oklahoma)
Bill O'Brien (OC Alabama/fmr HC Penn State & Texans)

TIER 2
KC Keeler (HC Sam Houston State)
*Look this guy up. He's just a winner, and he wins big.
Dan Mullen (ex UF/Miss St HC)
Mike Houston (HC East Carolina/fmr HC James Madison)
*BIG winner everywhere, and is now turning around an ECU program that was basically run into the ground. Almost beat #12 NC State this year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
For me at this moment:

TIER 1
Jamey Chadwell (HC Coastal Carolina)
Jeff Lebby (OC Oklahoma)
Bill O'Brien (OC Alabama/fmr HC Penn State & Texans)

TIER 2
KC Keeler (HC Sam Houston State)
*Look this guy up. He's just a winner, and he wins big.
Dan Mullen (ex UF/Miss St HC)
Mike Houston (HC East Carolina/fmr HC James Madison)
*BIG winner everywhere, and is now turning around an ECU program that was basically run into the ground. Almost beat #12 NC State this year.
This is pretty much my list too. I'd also say a tier 3 of Dan Mullen and Jim McElwain. Both of those guys have won no matter where they have been and are not bad fallback options.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Watch...we're gonna end up with Ken Whisenhunt, because we're GT, and we never learn.
Sorry, I just now saw that you had Mullen on your list. Another name to throw out is Jeff Traylor, but I don't know if he would leave Texas.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
My top choices within reason are O’Brien or Chadwell.

If we get O’Brien I would like to see Choice come back in an elevated role … think AHC/Run Game Coordinator/RB Coach. Bill led Penn State out of their situation - and we aren’t close to dealing with that. I think he’d be a steadying leader we would need to right the ship. And if he did well and it came time to move to the next stop - Choice is hopefully ready.

It would never happen, but Scott Abbell as an OC would be a lot of fun out of Davidson.