If a change is made...

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Needs to be a coach that holds players accountable and can make sure the basics are covered- Disciplined execution even if talent is overmatched. Be able to build a half decent LOS in 4 years time.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
just your friendly pitt fan checking in. figured I'd wait a few weeks in the season to see how you were feeling about collins. I assume everyone is ready to move on by now.

in these situations, I always wonder about an interim HC. would it truly be better? I suppose it can't be worse so why not make a change.

as usual, I'm not trying to kick anyone while their down. I just assumed I'd come here and everyone was trying to figure out next steps.

if there IS a change, who would you guys want as your next HC? is there a top 5 formed at this point?

I really hope you guys can get it figured out. I'd love to see a good GT team and so would almost all of the pitt friends I know.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I'm not salty. I doubt others are. Thanks for coming by. I was one who felt Geoff should have every chance to earn more time as HC entering the season, but now I am well and done with him after that game. It seems everyone is in the same boat now.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Short of CGC pulling at least 5 to 6 more rabbits (Wins) out of the hat this year, he's toast. That's assuming that he doesn't "resign" before the end of the season.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Collins is basically done, it’s a matter of when he’s fired.
I have a few candidates in mind.

In no particular order:
Deion Sanders
Shawn Elliot
Jamey Caldwell
Shawn Clark
Dave Clawson
Clay Helton
Derrick Mason
Will Muschamp
Ed Ogeron
Butch Jones

Each name brings their own special things to the table.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry if we have come off rude today, the fanbase is just completely done with everything this weekend. Hope you are doing well @Pitt97. Hope you guys bounce back from the loss this week.

thanks but we won yesterday! with our 3rd string QB and he looked really good. redshirt freshman who didn't play his senior year of HS due to injury. so totally green. I'm sure he's the next Kenny Pickett [/sarcasm]
Collins is basically done, it’s a matter of when he’s fired.
I have a few candidates in mind.

In no particular order:
Deion Sanders
Shawn Elliot
Jamey Caldwell
Shawn Clark
Dave Clawson
Clay Helton
Derrick Mason
Will Muschamp
Ed Ogeron
Butch Jones

Each name brings their own special things to the table.

Deion seems kind of committed to JSU but who knows. I don't like a lot of names on that list, tbh. I really don't like retreads when guys have failed at big programs. think you could do much better. but caldwell and clark are intriguing.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
thanks but we won yesterday! with our 3rd string QB and he looked really good. redshirt freshman who didn't play his senior year of HS due to injury. so totally green. I'm sure he's the next Kenny Pickett [/sarcasm]

Deion seems kind of committed to JSU but who knows. I don't like a lot of names on that list, tbh. I really don't like retreads when guys have failed at big programs. think you could do much better. but caldwell and clark are intriguing.
Oh I also forgot Gus Malzhan. Add him to my list.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The prez needs to make organizational changes so we can compete. Do it without compromising the engineering degrees.

I talked w 2 player s parents who came in but got injured. They had plenty of AP in high school, then had to take summer class, full load while injured. 2 5 years here and they will graduate. These 2 are smsrt and on course to by summa cimhn laude. Both hopefully will stay to get in business school. They have 3 yesrs eligibikity .
But if they want other study or take a great job= its thanks for the scholarship.
Also DT # 5 already has graduated and loves playing fb.

Too bad the prez is so busy w the academic and research side. Football was important to my Gt experience and it needs some executive attention.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
That's not how it's done anyway. Reps reach out to reps to gauge interest and build the list of candidates to speak directly to when allowed. This happens through back channels well before coaching moves are made. You don't step off the dock unless you're pretty damned sure there is a solid boat under your feet..

Search firms talk to agents of coaches to gauge interest. That’s how it’s done.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've said it MANY times. GT needs a coach with proven system that will give us a schematic advantage. It doesn't need to be the "triple option" either. Our best years has always been with either a HC that was supported by an offensive savant (see Ross and O'Leary with Friedgen running the offense), a coach with a good system like Gailey (despite some the narrative, Gailey had a good system), or an offensive genius like CPJ. That's the winning equation for GT...and we went away from it because there were too many chefs in the kitchen when we hired CGC.

Right now two guys stand out to me:

Jamey Chadwell. It's not all option with him. Look at the passing efficiency of his QBs and how many passing yards his QBs put up. Yes, the option offense is stigmatized, but do you want to win big or do you want brag to your friends that GT runs a "pro offense"? The bonus with Chadwell is that his offense is stigmatized much like CPJ's that the "elite factories" will shy away from him.

Jeff Lebby. Currently the OC for Oklahoma. He's going to get a LOT of looks this offseason. OC for both Josh Heupel at UCF, and Lane Kiffen last season at Ole Miss. His offense can best be described as a marriage of the Air Raid and Art Briles vertical passing and ground game. This guy will put up points on anyone. He's also a QB guru...just look at the QBs under his coaching. You offer this guy support and $4-5 million/year for 5 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Lebby

Those are my top 2 right now. GT needs to pursue those two with everything we have because they will change the narrative for the GT quickly. Our roster has the players for either system, and if it's Lebby, players in the South and GA will lineup to play for him given his reputation.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I've said it MANY times. GT needs a coach with proven system that will give us a schematic advantage. It doesn't need to be the "triple option" either. Our best years has always been with either a HC that was supported by an offensive savant (see Ross and O'Leary with Friedgen running the offense), a coach with a good system like Gailey (despite some the narrative, Gailey had a good system), or an offensive genius like CPJ. That's the winning equation for GT...and we went away from it because there were too many chefs in the kitchen when we hired CGC.

Right now two guys stand out to me:

Jamey Chadwell. It's not all option with him. Look at the passing efficiency of his QBs and how many passing yards his QBs put up. Yes, the option offense is stigmatized, but do you want to win big or do you want brag to your friends that GT runs a "pro offense"? The bonus with Chadwell is that his offense is stigmatized much like CPJ's that the "elite factories" will shy away from him.

Jeff Lebby. Currently the OC for Oklahoma. He's going to get a LOT of looks this offseason. OC for both Josh Heupel at UCF, and Lane Kiffen last season at Ole Miss. His offense can best be described as a marriage of the Air Raid and Art Briles vertical passing and ground game. This guy will put up points on anyone. He's also a QB guru...just look at the QBs under his coaching. You offer this guy support and $4-5 million/year for 5 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Lebby

Those are my top 2 right now. GT needs to pursue those two with everything we have because they will change the narrative for the GT quickly. Our roster has the players for either system, and if it's Lebby, players in the South and GA will lineup to play for him given his reputation.
I’m 100% all in for Chadwell or Deion.

Chadwell would get us the schematic advantage that lots of people say we need if we’re going to compete with the big boys. I don’t know what his demeanor is with the media/players/fans but I’m sure it will definitely be more serious than Geoff’s. I think there would be some transfers out if Chadwell gets announced as the new coach, but **** em, we need some new blood anyway. Chadwell has also been able to increase CCU’s recruiting efforts since he’s been there. In his first year they only signed eight 3-stars, and were 8th in the SBC and 122 overall. Last year they signed seventeen 3-stars and were 4th in the SBC and 88 overall. He’s also recruited Georgia hard, along with Florida, Alabama, and the Carolinas. I think he can at least recruit in the 30s-40s here, and that would be enough to win 7-9 games in his system. Maybe with the right group of players rattle off 10-11. CCU did restructure his contract though, and I’m not sure what his buyout is but he’s essentially making $1M/year with 5 years left on his deal after this season. So we’d have to pay CCU at least part of that, maybe the whole thing. An extra $5M on our plate could be a dealbreaker.

Deion would essentially be trying to play the same game Collins is, so I can understand fans who may feel like Deion would be a nightmare. However, Deion differs from Collins in the fact that he’s very serious and enforces discipline and accountability within his team. He took over a Jackson State team who hadn’t had a winning record since 2013, and has completely revitalized the program. Last year their only 2 losses were to an FBS team and in the HBCU national championship game. If Deion’s ultimate goal is to get to FSU, he would pull out all the stops here to prove he belongs at this level. Any support, money, resources, fans, media, etc. he can drum up to make it happen, he would do it. And he would dominate the transfer portal. We would need to put together a competent staff for him though, which would cost upwards of $5M/year as well.

The truth is, if we want any chance of competing we’re going to have to spend money. With Geoff and Co. we went with the cheap option. We cannot do that again. No matter what direction we go, it’s going to cost money. We will find out how much we’re willing to spend to field a competitive team. If we don’t do it right this time, it will put a fork in GT football. 10 years of incompetence while our rivals compete for and win championships will be irrecoverable.

Pitt97

Georgia Tech Fan
The prez needs to make organizational changes so we can compete. Do it without compromising the engineering degrees.

I talked w 2 player s parents who came in but got injured. They had plenty of AP in high school, then had to take summer class, full load while injured. 2 5 years here and they will graduate. These 2 are smsrt and on course to by summa cimhn laude. Both hopefully will stay to get in business school. They have 3 yesrs eligibikity .
But if they want other study or take a great job= its thanks for the scholarship.
Also DT # 5 already has graduated and loves playing fb.

Too bad the prez is so busy w the academic and research side. Football was important to my Gt experience and it needs some executive attention.

pitt has historically has decided to shoot ourselves in the foot when football gets good due to academics. teams get too good: academics decides to enforce stupid rules that makes the team less competitive.

do you have different rules for engineering students?