If a change is made...

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
will he be able to recruit without buying the #1 player in the nation? or playing up the "let's rebuild the HBCU's brother"?

I really doubt it.
I personally think Deion would work the phones and his contacts to drive up NIL contributions. My big concern is how flexible our administration would be on admissions for athletes.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Satterfield at Louisville was also App State's HC and so was Drinkowitz at Mizzou. Drink maybe needs some more time but neither have looked very good. There's something about App State that's bigger than coaches because the school keeps winning and the coaches who move on don't.
Class and degree options?

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn’t Dabo go from WR coach to HC?

He did. Tommy Bowden recommended him as the interim when he resigned. Even though he was 'only' WR coach, he was known as a great recruiter and leader. Dabo did such an impressive job rallying the team that he earned the permanent gig. Could've seen TC in a similar role, I believe. I was very impressed with him here as a coach. Maybe the only guy from Collin's staff I've been impressed by.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Staff and team meetings are today, end around 4:30-5:00, something will be announced today, that’s all the info I have
If something happens and collins is gone, I expect Wienke or Long to take over HC position in the interim

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Staff and team meetings are today, end around 4:30-5:00, something will be announced today, that’s all the info I have
I’d bet a sacrificial lamb…Thacker. Even though I wouldn’t argue to keep Thacker, one individual is not responsible for this mess. There is plenty of blame to go around. I will even take my part of the blame since I haven’t even bought season tickets since CPJ left.

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
How about a name I haven't heard anywhere:

Jim Leonhard - Wisconsin DC
Wisconsin has had a tough defense as long as he has been there. He played in a decade in the NFL. I haven't watched a ton of UW football games, but they aren't/haven't been overflowing with highly drafted defensive players, but they have played well on the whole.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Not sure where to post this.
But as many know im not a fire the coach during season type of guy. But, our season tix are next to a family of a current player. According to his mom, his views are "practices are a joke. Guys don't want to practice. Most have given up on CGC, but not GT."
I didnt see it until later in the game. When we did our usual 3 and out, the offense would huddle near the ball at LOS, but Sims would already be next to the sideline. Complete lack of leadership from a starting qb. But then maybe he reflective of the team at large.
Tonight was unacceptable. Offense is a joke. Defense would be a lot better if they could catch their breath. Special Teams are special and not in a good way. I had zero fun at a game I have been looking forward to for about year. This was our measuring stick. CGC has to go. My small $150 check to the GTAA im mailing Monday will have "For the Geoff Collins Buy-out" written in the memo line.
If Nebraska can do it when they are literally 1 possession away from winning 7 of their last 9 games, we can do it because 183-10.
I, like you, have never liked the idea of firing a coach mid-season. But the preponderance of evidence in front of me has overwhelmed my dislike of it so much that I can’t see any path forward for the good of this program that has Geoff Collins at the helm of the football team any longer.

I have wanted him to succeed so very much. Not because I love Geoff Collins but because of love this program and I will always want the current head coach to succeed. I think he had some good ideas about rejuvenating the program’s image to high school kids and also their coaches and the folks who run camps and advise the kids. Unfortunately the way he did it just didn’t work and he never got the results on the field to back up the talk.

I don’t believe our current roster is as bad as the scores in the last 15 games say they are. I think they’ve gotten some pretty poor coaching. Of course there are issues with the Jimmys and Joes. But other have said that special teams give you a window into the coaching and ours have sucked for years.

So to me there’s no reason to wait (other than the money and since it is other peoples money I won’t spend it for them). Rip of this band aid and give these players a chance to breath some different air and give the fans a reason to think there’s a chance to get it right the next time.

Buzz_404

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure where to post this.
But as many know im not a fire the coach during season type of guy. But, our season tix are next to a family of a current player. According to his mom, his views are "practices are a joke. Guys don't want to practice. Most have given up on CGC, but not GT."
I didnt see it until later in the game. When we did our usual 3 and out, the offense would huddle near the ball at LOS, but Sims would already be next to the sideline. Complete lack of leadership from a starting qb. But then maybe he reflective of the team at large.
Tonight was unacceptable. Offense is a joke. Defense would be a lot better if they could catch their breath. Special Teams are special and not in a good way. I had zero fun at a game I have been looking forward to for about year. This was our measuring stick. CGC has to go. My small $150 check to the GTAA im mailing Monday will have "For the Geoff Collins Buy-out" written in the memo line.
If Nebraska can do it when they are literally 1 possession away from winning 7 of their last 9 games, we can do it because 183-10.
What players family do you sit by?

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
hiring dan mullen may be the prudent thing to do but at this point i think we need to be shooting higher if stansbury/AD soon to be named want to win over any good will with this fanbase. mullen probably comes in gets us winning 7 games but i think it’s more likely we just end up in the chan situation again just staying afloat and going bowling in shreveport, birmingham and other random cities in early december.

i just don’t see a bright future for mullen leading a team

I want to aim higher too. Reading posts here that say we can't really compete for NC. We can, but it would take lightning in a bottle for sure now. That said, we should always aim for that lightning in a bottle and not a caretaker hire that was mediocre at better football schools, BUT has "experience". Mullen was awful at Florida. He actually set them back even more than the prior coach. They're still recovering. Mullen is a poor-mans Chan Gailey at best. No thanks.

I'd rather hire a G5 coach that has taken a poor program and made them relevant quickly. I do NOT want a G5 coach that took an already winning program and has them still winning, but maybe one or two less wins each year. Get the coach that turned it around, not the second care-taking coach that just treaded water. CGC was caretaker at Temple and no one there was unhappy to see him go. This was well known before that awful extension. Still pissed off on that call by AD.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Whoever is hired after gee-off, I honestly hope he has no ties to Tech. Those to me haven’t worked out all that great. Or aren’t very attractive.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I'll get roasted, but I have always been a fan of Malzahn. Not sure if he would want to leave UCF for us, but I would hope he'd at least be interviewed.