If a change is made...

JacketFan137

Banned
will he be able to recruit without buying the #1 player in the nation? or playing up the "let's rebuild the HBCU's brother"?

I really doubt it.
collins swung a top 25 recruiting class. deion has way more connections, respect and influence so it’s really not that much of a stretch to assume he could at least recruit at that level which would be enough to win in the coastal and occasionally compete with uga and clemson.

deion also immediately energizes the fanbase, which is possibly the most important thing right now with georgia tech fan sentiment probably at its lowest since lewis. hiring an unknown coach or a guy who’s rather uninspiring (whisenhunt, mullen, etc.) is just gonna deepen the hole when literally no tech fans are excited about the new coach, just happy collins is gone

if we hire deion it would be a statement that we are actually committing to putting together an acceptable on field product

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
collins swung a top 25 recruiting class. deion has way more connections, respect and influence so it’s really not that much of a stretch to assume he could at least recruit at that level which would be enough to win in the coastal and occasionally compete with uga and clemson.

deion also immediately energizes the fanbase, which is possibly the most important thing right now with georgia tech fan sentiment probably at its lowest since lewis. hiring an unknown coach or a guy who’s rather uninspiring (whisenhunt, mullen, etc.) is just gonna deepen the hole when literally no tech fans are excited about the new coach, just happy collins is gone

if we hire deion it would be a statement that we are actually committing to putting together an acceptable on field product

☝🏽

No guarantees, but it would be exciting!

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
You CAN buy the No. 1 recruit in the country now legally. Kids want to play for him. Will need great assistants.

Not saying it’s foolproof, but would bring a lot of positive attention to the program.

if we can't afford to can the coach, then can we afford to buy recruits?

slugboy

Staff member
will he be able to recruit without buying the #1 player in the nation? or playing up the "let's rebuild the HBCU's brother"?

I really doubt it.
As to “buying the #1 player”, Sanders denies it, there was a series of rumors started by FSU (who lost the recruit) but without any other basis, and there’s very little evidence of flush sponsorship around Jackson State.

I haven’t seen enough to know if Sanders is a good coach, and especially if he’d be a good coach HERE, but those rumors look like sour grapes.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm not buying that he unites or excites anyone, except those that hate the current coach.

I don't know exactly who the hire should be, but someone so divisive is not a good plan.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
As to “buying the #1 player”, Sanders denies it, there was a series of rumors started by FSU (who lost the recruit) but without any other basis, and there’s very little evidence of flush sponsorship around Jackson State.

I haven’t seen enough to know if Sanders is a good coach, and especially if he’d be a good coach HERE, but those rumors look like sour grapes.

Perhaps. But in ATL, Deion could likely pull a lot of strings. Access to NFL players and facilities. Access to music and Hollywood types. Access to corporations that want to be associated with the guy stating commercials with Nick Saban.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I can barely spell Deion, but here's the thing:

He doesn't need the money, and that's good because we don't have any. So, maybe we structure a "buy now, pay later (if you win)" kind of a contract.
Every player currently in the program will be instantly juiced.
Every recruit we've even considered talking to will want a campus visit, etc.
I'm guessing we might sell a few more season tickets next year.
I don't know anything about his ability to coach, but surely we can find an OC and DC who would be better than what we have, right?
And if he leaves in 3 years or so, who cares? We will probably be better off than we are now.

JacketFan137

Banned
I'm not buying that he unites or excites anyone, except those that hate the current coach.

I don't know exactly who the hire should be, but someone so divisive is not a good plan.
what is divisive about deion? he has never been in significant trouble, he is actually committed to jackson state not just using it as an opportunity to grow his name, there are clips of him encouraging players to grow as men not just football players, heavy emphasis on going to class and getting jobs, he is pretty much the model coach and jackson state is in a completely different position than they were before.

he fr might get a statue for all that he’s done for them. there is no divisiveness about him lol

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t get the love for Dan Mullen- he has little personality, word is he hates recruiting, he is already very wealthy and looks pretty happy on tv. I think he lost hunger when he got big contract. Anyway, his best coaching was with Collins at DC, so maybe we don’t go there.

I am all for Deion, he is hungry, he’s trying to change college football and since he’s not doing it for the money maybe we can afford him.

Tom Herman has sucked but he maybe has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove so I might be convinced he is ok
And just heard Mullen on radio and he basically said he is enjoying espn and the new lifestyle- not interested in open jobs

JacketFan137

Banned
Another name I’m surprised I haven’t seen anywhere is Hugh Freeze.
he has legitimate ethical concerns and i’m not quite sure that i trust him to run a clean program. definitely an upgrade, but i’m not sure if i’m willing to gamble on a guy who likes hookers that much in the strip club capital of the world