If a change is made...

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Malzahn, not a bad choice but how realistic? Along similar lines, Harsin may be about to be available. Either....not too shabby. Auburn has ditched a lot of good coaches.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I want to aim higher too. Reading posts here that say we can't really compete for NC. We can, but it would take lightning in a bottle for sure now. That said, we should always aim for that lightning in a bottle and not a caretaker hire that was mediocre at better football schools, BUT has "experience". Mullen was awful at Florida. He actually set them back even more than the prior coach. They're still recovering. Mullen is a poor-mans Chan Gailey at best. No thanks.

I'd rather hire a G5 coach that has taken a poor program and made them relevant quickly. I do NOT want a G5 coach that took an already winning program and has them still winning, but maybe one or two less wins each year. Get the coach that turned it around, not the second care-taking coach that just treaded water. CGC was caretaker at Temple and no one there was unhappy to see him go. This was well known before that awful extension. Still pissed off on that call by AD.
Or we could simply hire a successful P5 coach who will take the job. Iow, Mullen. He's not my first choice, but we aren't in a buyer's position. He can develop players - especially QBs. He can recruit and if he can sell Starkville (I've been there), he can sell Tech. And he can manage a game.

But, but … "He's hard to get along with and doesn't get along well with alums!" So what? If there is one thing Tech fans should be over by now it is that we need a coach who puts glad handing and PR first. The crabbier, the better, I say.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
given what TStan has stated is his strategy.
I’d prefer to work under the assumption that TStan is as far away from the coaching hire as possible. However, you are right. Malzahn does not align with TStan‘a vision. I was just thinking of a coach who has had a winning past and seemed to find way to upset his rival.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Or we could simply hire a successful P5 coach who will take the job. Iow, Mullen. He's not my first choice, but we aren't in a buyer's position. He can develop players - especially QBs. He can recruit and if he can sell Starkville (I've been there), he can sell Tech. And he can manage a game.

But, but … "He's hard to get along with and doesn't get along well with alums!" So what? If there is one thing Tech fans should be over by now it is that we need a coach who puts glad handing and PR first. The crabbier, the better, I say.
Mullins has a terrible reputation and regarded as running really sloppy practices. I think we need a disciplined fundamentals guy.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Mullins has a terrible reputation and regarded as running really sloppy practices. I think we need a disciplined fundamentals guy.
Hasn't shown up on the field, now has it? He was, as I've pointed out before, 34 - 15 at UF and had multiple 9 or better win seasons at MSU. Frankly, that's the only reputation I'm interested in. And I think he'd take the job.

Give me my druthers, I'd go after Bohannon or give Moncken a call. But that isn't happening, say people here. Shortsighted that, imho. So … Mullen.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
can't talk to a coach coaching till after the season
That's not how it's done anyway. Reps reach out to reps to gauge interest and build the list of candidates to speak directly to when allowed. This happens through back channels well before coaching moves are made. You don't step off the dock unless you're pretty damned sure there is a solid boat under your feet..

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Hasn't shown up on the field, now has it? He was, as I've pointed out before, 34 - 15 at UF and had multiple 9 or better win seasons at MSU. Frankly, that's the only reputation I'm interested in. And I think he'd take the job.

Give me my druthers, I'd go after Bohannon or give Moncken a call. But that isn't happening, say people here. Shortsighted that, imho. So … Mullen.

His UF team was trending down, though. He went 8-4 and 5-6 his last two years.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
If things work out. But his offense has not looked great this season, we shall see

I agree, but it is always tough to evaluate a first year OC in this mess. Kendal Briles offense did not look great the one year he was at FSU where the HC got fired but everyone thinks he’s a genius at Arkansas. I don’t think Lincoln Riley would be able to scrape together a winning product in this environment. He is absolutely not the answer long term at HC but he’ll be successful wherever he ends up as long as it isn’t a dumpster fire.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
His UF team was trending down, though. He went 8-4 and 5-6 his last two years.
13 - 10 > 6 - 18.

Seriously, however, every coach has a bad year every now and then except at the factories. When Paul came on board most everyone was saying that they'd take a Chan-like 7 win season so long as we reached the heights occasionally. And we did. And I'm pretty sure most of us now will take Paul-like records from a new coach. I'm pretty sure Mullen can deliver that. I'm also pretty sure he'd take the job and that Tech would have some leverage in the negations. Frankly, I can't think of another coach with his record who we could say that about. (Well, maybe Malzahn, but I don't think he'd be interested.)

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Mullen’s biggest flaw at UF was his awful defense and letting boosters mess with his team if you believe the rumors. He is a jerk and he isn’t charming or charismatic, but he isn’t exactly going to be under a media spotlight or have schmooze boosters at Tech.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
13 - 10 > 6 - 18.

Seriously, however, every coach has a bad year every now and then except at the factories. When Paul came on board most everyone was saying that they'd take a Chan-like 7 win season so long as we reached the heights occasionally. And we did. And I'm pretty sure most of us now will take Paul-like records from a new coach. I'm pretty sure Mullen can deliver that. I'm also pretty sure he'd take the job and that Tech would have some leverage in the negations. Frankly, I can't think of another coach with his record who we could say that about. (Well, maybe Malzahn, but I don't think he'd be interested.)

If all you are comparing is W/L. then yes. But Mullens turned a team that was 21-5 his first two years into that 13-10 team. Like I said, they were trending down rapidly. If he couldn't win more than 5 games at Florida with his recruits and their finances, I really don't think he's a fit here.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
He also turned a 4-7 Florida team into a 10-3 team his first year and 11-3 his second. That’s what we need, if he starts going downhill we can always fire him assuming we don’t sign him to a 7 year contract like Geoff. If we were sitting at 8-10 wins a year right now I’d agree with you, but the next guy just needs to right the ship enough that we can hire the next guy. Same with Herman, he got the first 10 win season in almost a decade at Texas his second year. He got them out of the wilderness enough that they could make a hire they thought was better and could get them over the hump. The next Kirby or Dabo isn’t the goal and we’re going to screw ourselves if we think it is.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Malzahn and Mullen can get us back to stability after a few years. I dont really care if we have a coach that we think can win 10 games. I want a coach that I know will win 6. We need a foundation and the kids in the team need hope

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He also turned a 4-7 Florida team into a 10-3 team his first year and 11-3 his second. That’s what we need, if he starts going downhill we can always fire him assuming we don’t sign him to a 7 year contract like Geoff. If we were sitting at 8-10 wins a year right now I’d agree with you, but the next guy just needs to right the ship enough that we can hire the next guy. Same with Herman, he got the first 10 win season in almost a decade at Texas his second year. He got them out of the wilderness enough that they could make a hire they thought was better and could get them over the hump. The next Kirby or Dabo isn’t the goal and we’re going to screw ourselves if we think it is.

Not really. Florida won 10 and 9 games under McElwain before the 4-7 debacle season. Again, way too much talent on ANY UF team to ever win less than 8-9 games playing in the SEC east.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is exactly where I am. I have been a supporter of Collins up to today. I like what Collins has done behind the scenes with recruiting but the coaching on the field has been lacking. I was also big on the coaching hires this off-season and felt we were finally on the right track to fix the on-field issues. I knew with a new coaching staff and strength of schedule that we would still struggle with wins this year.

HOWEVER, there was no fight in the coaches or players today. It just looked like everyone was just going through the motions and that is unacceptable!!! Collins doesn't have the fight to try to get points at the end of the first half when down and has 3 timeouts (I even gave him a pass after Clemson but he did it again). The players don't have the fight to get the extra yards when needed and just seem to be mailing it in. Something has to change!

Not using a TO when Ole Miss was 3rd & 4 and in rhythm was also awful. That led to their last TD of the half.

Gotta break the other teams momentum like basketball when you have them to spare.

Who should be interim coach? Long?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I want to aim higher too. ...

I'd rather hire a G5 coach that has taken a poor program and made them relevant quickly. I do NOT want a G5 coach that took an already winning program and has them still winning, but maybe one or two less wins each year. Get the coach that turned it around, not the second care-taking coach that just treaded water...
I see what you did there! 👍