I Think we Are Headed Into Dark Times...

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Takethepoints, you have some valid points, but I think you are way off base with what skill sets we look for. I know for a fact (since I read the posts from some people on GTSwarm) that the only thing we look for in an offensive lineman is the ability to flop on the ground and hope somebody trips over them. :whistle:

Don’t underestimate the difficulty of moving 300 pounds from A to B and getting it to fall on the ground at the exact moment you want it to. Tougher than it sounds. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
OMG really. Well let's examine closer. This year we had a lot of injury's on the O line. Two newbies at tackle. A first year starter at QB and BB, who both gained over a thousand yards each in 10 games. We lost 3 games on the last play of the game.
So what for next year. We return just about everyone on offense and get back Marshall at Tackle. We lose some secondary on defense but add some really good players from last years recruiting class. Schedule, we get UVA, Miami, Clemson at home. We have 3 very winnable OOC games and Louisville without Jackson. And before we crown Georgie NC and stand and applaud their recruits, they lose 30 seniors and 70% of their offense. I think we are a 9-3 team next year and that is my low ball prediction.

I admire your command of stats and your courage in making such a bold prediction. I don't agree with it but that is beside the point. We can't possibly have the kind of bad luck next year that this year's team had. Three games lost on the final play? I am not sure we have ever done that in modern times.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bare with me here. Recruiting is slipping. Average 50 in the country and bottom half or third of ACC. OL is particularly horrendous in terms of recruiting. We just signed a 260 pound OG. Yikes!

Miami, UGA, Clemson have all stepped it up and widened the gap even further. Particularly UGA.

Coach who may or may not be coaching in 3 years. Probably making a coaching change at DC.

Air has been taken out of the excitement. Attendance at games continues to be horrid.

I think it are in for a lame duck period.

Attendance isn’t horrid. It’s been stable for 15 years and is well above most teams in the ACC. We are WAY below the average SEC attendance, but we aren’t in the SEC.

Want better attendance? Play opponents people want to see.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Attendance isn’t horrid. It’s been stable for 15 years and is well above most teams in the ACC. We are WAY below the average SEC attendance, but we aren’t in the SEC.

So leave the ACC and play Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, Florida? Somebody shock my heart back into sync. Why, I might drive down the block to see some of those also-rans. Doesn't the ACC hold the head-to-head edge anyway?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So leave the ACC and play Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, Florida? Somebody shock my heart back into sync. Why, I might drive down the block to see some of those also-rans. Doesn't the ACC hold the head-to-head edge anyway?

Where did I say that? I didn’t. Thanks.

JSU? Mercer? We play plenty of weak teams now. I’d rather see us play Auburn, Tennessee, and Alabama. They are our historical rivals and BDS always sells out. Better for recruiting too.

Animal02

Banned

Playing a FCS team every year.....getting the extra home game is worth more in $$$.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That worked so well in the early 80's. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but this is exactly why we struggle today. “Oh, let’s not play Auburn. They might beat us. And let’s not play Alabama. They are so big and strong. And Tennessee, boo hoo.”

Kids want to play caliber teams. They want to play in front of their friends. They want they parents to come to the games. I don’t believe in this new philosophy of playing only teams you can beat. Next thing, we’ll be playing Georgia State. Good grief.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Playing a FCS team every year.....getting the extra home game is worth more in $$$.

Honestly? Charge $5 and play somebody decent. I thoroughly enjoyed the UT game. Moreover, our tickets are a huge discount to other programs.

I am so sick of this “let’s play for the gate” mentality. Pathetic for a program that aspires to be anything. Of course, if you’ve given up, maybe it makes sense.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but this is exactly why we struggle today. “Oh, let’s not play Auburn. They might beat us. And let’s not play Alabama. They are so big and strong. And Tennessee, boo hoo.”

Kids want to play caliber teams. They want to play in front of their friends. They want they parents to come to the games. I don’t believe in this new philosophy of playing only teams you can beat. Next thing, we’ll be playing Georgia State. Good grief.
I think GT will wind up playing Georgia State in the future after all they play Kennesaw State in 2020....................................................................................................just sayin';)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think GT will wind up playing Georgia State in the future after all they play Kennesaw State in 2020....................................................................................................just sayin';)

I know. There is nothing to be gained playing down scale. Unless your goal is to be a bottom dweller. Sad that our AA sees our schedule this way.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

This is so wrong in so many ways, where to start? What is this "new philosophy" of "playing only teams you can beat?" What in the world? Where you on another planet this fall? We had to play eight conference games. I am pretty sure it is like a rule or something, and we don't select them. Of the four non-conference games, include Tennessee -- yep, Tennessee was lousy, but not when the schedule was made, and I recall a great deal of anticipation. That's the problem making schedules. Today's powerhouse can be tomorrow's patsy. UCF, a pretty good team as I recall. Unbeaten. Playing Auburn in the Peach Bowl. Rained out. (Damn that Johnson anyway. Now he is bringing hurricane rains on demand.) Of course there is Georgia. The only patsy was Jacksonville State, and check around. Everybody plays one, at different times for different reasons. Some schools make their football budget by getting mauled for a guarantee. See Clemson-Citadel. By any measure that was a tough schedule. I am fairly confident had we scheduled only teams we could beat we would have won more than five games even with our problems So again: what are you going on about?

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is so wrong in so many ways, where to start? What is this "new philosophy" of "playing only teams you can beat?" What in the world? Where you on another planet this fall? We had to play eight conference games. I am pretty sure it is like a rule or something, and we don't select them. Of the four non-conference games, include Tennessee -- yep, Tennessee was lousy, but not when the schedule was made, and I recall a great deal of anticipation. That's the problem making schedules. Today's powerhouse can be tomorrow's patsy. UCF, a pretty good team as I recall. Unbeaten. Playing Auburn in the Peach Bowl. Rained out. (Damn that Johnson anyway. Now he is bringing hurricane rains on demand.) Of course there is Georgia. The only patsy was Jacksonville State, and check around. Everybody plays one, at different times for different reasons. Some schools make their football budget by getting mauled for a guarantee. See Clemson-Citadel. By any measure that was a tough schedule. I am fairly confident had we scheduled only teams we could beat we would have won more than five games even with our problems So again: what are you going on about?
100% agree w this. The fact is we had one of the toughest schedules in the nation!

Animal02

Banned
Honestly? Charge $5 and play somebody decent. I thoroughly enjoyed the UT game. Moreover, our tickets are a huge discount to other programs.

I am so sick of this “let’s play for the gate” mentality. Pathetic for a program that aspires to be anything. Of course, if you’ve given up, maybe it makes sense.
Then you would complain about the athletic department not having money, or their are too many opponents fans in the seats.