I Think we Are Headed Into Dark Times...

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Agree, Namaste. We are what we are and about what we have been. Last year was a bit worse than average but not out of the ordinary.

We ended up 2017 with a Power Ranking of .586 and 60th. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2017.htm
And that is typical ...... here's the recent history. I'll update to 114 years of GT football after the championship game. https://gtswarm.com/threads/113-yea...ses-to-2016-9-wins-to-2017.12624/#post-326058
image.png

CPJ gets about the same average performance as Gailey or O'Leary with more variability. So that feeds the manic-depressive in all of us. Next year may be awful or a .800 Power Ranking year, who knows. At least baseball is coming.

The graph took a very noticeable shift downward after 1966, the Dodd years. I wish I could’ve seen some of that football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I hate Georgia and root for them to lose. However, it is an absolute waste of neurotransmitter function to obsess over whether UGAg is going to be better than they are or not. They are already better than us, and have been for quite some time, and I don't see that changing. We need to focus on us getting better. If UGAg wins a Natty this year, whoopty do. The Mutt fans I know couldn't get anymore obnoxious. How is them being great going to change anything? We already can't outrecruit them for in-state kids on rare years when we literally had a better ranking, better record and beat them head to head. So why worry about it. We need to quit letting stinking Virginia Tech and North Carolina come in to Georgia and snag good players, and manage to land a few guys Tennessee and South Carolina get on years when they have a coaching change and that door opens up. If you want to be concerned, be concerned about the end of the season flop we had. After taking Miami to the wall and dominating Pitt and UNC, we end it by losing to UVA and getting our a** handed to us by Duke? In the words of Hillary Rodham Clinton- What Happened?

Amen

THWG

Helluva Engineer
That's nothing to brag about.
And we've never had to face 4 teams annually that have it rolling like clemson, vt, uga, and vt do.
I'm not bragging about it, just pointing it out. You do realize that we have beat VT 3/4 years and ugag 2/4 right. I'm also not scared of Miami as we should have beat them 3/4. The only team that scares me every year now is Clemson.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not bragging about it, just pointing it out. You do realize that we have beat VT 3/4 years and ugag 2/4 right. I'm also not scared of Miami as we should have beat them 3/4. The only team that scares me every year now is Clemson.
We've also lost 3/4 to unc, duke and miami.

2-2 vs a garbage uva program.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We've also lost 3/4 to unc, duke and miami.

2-2 vs a garbage uva program.
This is true, but I was just responding about the 4 teams that you said had it rolling. The only one that I see that scares me is Clemson.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Of all the bad crap that happened last year, the second half of the Duke game bothered me most. Not to take anything away from Duke but it looked like we absolutely quit and I don’t remember ever feeling that way before. I still think there was some bad mojo in the locker room.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
That's because he hasn't been committed long enough to receive the GT bump. Too bad it's the next school he commits to that will be the benefactor of the GT bump and not actually GT...

:)
Are you implying a bump up or down? Chimedza was dropped from a 4 star to a 3 star after he committed to Tech.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
1. Jump is a Tackle, not a guard. Maye is the guard, he’s 295. Put 20 lbs on Jump during a redshirt year .and he’s 6’5 280, ideal for what we do.

2. Miami, UGA and Clemson have always significantly outrecruited us. If you think we’re going to compete with them for recruits without tens of millions more in the budget, your crazy.

3. It’s a dark time if there’s a DC change? Hasn’t everyone on this site and others been calling for a change? You’re just looking for reasons to complain.

4. Completely subjective on your part. I’m still excited about guys like King, Dingle, Chimdeza, etc. Attendance is on the fans. Show up, give money.

5. You’re just re-hashing the same, tired ****.

***This is a general thought. It’s hilarious to me that people complained when we offered C’Bo and now complain that he didn’t sign. Also, he’s our lowest rated recruit.
You’ve just summarized almost every post I’ve seen from Tax for quite a while.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We didn't quit against Duke until 4th quarter. We had two 3 and outs in the 3rd and they just ball controlled us with short passes and off tackle read options. Cutt has figured our D out folks and runs an offense that chews us up. He probably would have beat us in 2016 if JT hadn't made that long run out of our end zone. Our guys knew it was over in the 4th quarter. I still don't understand PJ not letting LJ play with 8 minutes left and no chance to win. Their 3rd string QB looked like an AA against us on their last series. We were done at that point.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We didn't quit against Duke until 4th quarter. We had two 3 and outs in the 3rd and they just ball controlled us with short passes and off tackle read options. Cutt has figured our D out folks and runs an offense that chews us up. He probably would have beat us in 2016 if JT hadn't made that long run out of our end zone. Our guys knew it was over in the 4th quarter. I still don't understand PJ not letting LJ play with 8 minutes left and no chance to win. Their 3rd string QB looked like an AA against us on their last series. We were done at that point.

Thanks for the summary. I saw the first half and never watched and never will watch the second half. It was the worst kick in the nuts I have had from GT football in a decade when my plane landed and I saw the score. Season was dead for me at that point. Ever since then:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Are you implying a bump up or down? Chimedza was dropped from a 4 star to a 3 star after he committed to Tech.

There's actually more cases of the GT bump in the positive direction than the negative direction. It's just as GT fans we tend to focus on every slight. lol.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
There's actually more cases of the GT bump in the positive direction than the negative direction. It's just as GT fans we tend to focus on every slight. lol.

Are the bumps up from 2 to 3 stars and the down bumps 4 to 3? That might feed into perceptions a tad.

I think the services tend to think most of our commits are 3 star guys. If we get a 2 star they think...oh this kid must be better than we thought. If we get a 4 star commit they think..oh..all the big programs must have bailed on this recruit...must not be as good as we thought. Plus...."subscriptions"

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Dark days ahead? Maybe for you but not for me. I love Georgia Tech football and enjoy it no matter how things are going. It is a source of entertainment and has become a big part of my life over my many years on the planet. Do I want us to win every game and never lose? Sure I do, but I know that is not realistic so I temper my expectations and enjoy it for what it is. From recruiting to signing day to spring practice to fall camp to each game I follow it all with interest and I have fun doing it. I share my passion with several friends and family members and even when we ***** about things it's still fun to follow and talk about.

I really think a lot of fans (not just ours) put their individual joy and despair into the team they follow. I get that in a way but at the end of the day you have to keep it in perspective. I can assure you no one wants to win more than the Coaches, the Players and yes even the Administration. They have a lot more invested in this than the fans do. You have a right to criticize and spew venom if you want to but just know your not doing anything productive, especially for yourself and those you touch in your life, including the team you follow.

So rather than retreat into the dark future you foresee, find something that can bring light to your life.

Go Jackets!

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Dark days ? ... not sure, I think 2018 will be a program pivot point.
One thing is for sure, we have to improve our recruiting, as was said, our closest rivals are killing it and increasing the gap.
Another thing for sure ... dark days or not, I've been through them before and I'm not going anywhere !!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Are the bumps up from 2 to 3 stars and the down bumps 4 to 3? That might feed into perceptions a tad.

I think the services tend to think most of our commits are 3 star guys. If we get a 2 star they think...oh this kid must be better than we thought. If we get a 4 star commit they think..oh..all the big programs must have bailed on this recruit...must not be as good as we thought. Plus...."subscriptions"

Jaylon King was bumped to a 4 star well after he committed to us this year.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I Disagree Georgia TECH recruiting is on the uptick (This year TQM playing QB hurt us, but LJ & TO are the future) We are going to be young...

OL will have depth and quality has improved over the last two years (Size Also improved)
RSFr Hansen 325 pounds
RSFr Tufele 300 Pounds
RSFr Minihan
RSFr Quinney
RSFr Clark

Fr Maye 300 Pounds
FR Jump
FR Mckeehan

you add this young depth to A. Marshall, W. Bryan, J. Lee, K. Cooper, P. Braun and we have some serious depth (quality) that we have not had since 2013-14 seasons..

I think our Defense has been recruiting really well.... LB Dingle could play with BJS, B. Mitchell, Smith & TK will add great depth to our DL. We have a nice young secondary led by AJ Gray and L. Simmons... We have the depth to play 4-3 or 4-2-5 (with Kaleb Oliver or J. Henderson has a hybrid LB/NB)

The key will be LJ or TO being the clear #1 QB.... IF we can get that we will be ok, if we have to have TQM as QB then we are looking at another 5 to 6 win season! We need a QB!