I Am Finished with the Gregory Era

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The only thing i'll add to this conversation right now is this. We'll see where this team is after 30 games and then make a decision. I think he needs at least 18 wins to retain his job.

As far as the contract extension that is such a non issue that it gets tiring when fans bring it up. He was given a 1-yr extension to his current contract (for having a solid yr 2) and given a small raise (still placing him in the bottom 3-4 of ACC coaches in pay). There was no increase to the buyout. It costs either $650K or $250K to buy out Gregory after this season (I need to look back at that, either is a very small buyout sum). Basically the extension was a way for MBob to buy himself a year to evaluate Gregory before making a final decision.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Red, I don't disagree at all regarding the extension, but the discussion about how we are, or aren't, progressing toward the 18 wins is legitimate. Losing to UPST isn't in the direction of those 18 wins.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Red, I don't disagree at all regarding the extension, but the discussion about how we are, or aren't, progressing toward the 18 wins is legitimate. Losing to UPST isn't in the direction of those 18 wins.

I wasn't complaining about the discussion over where the program was headed - only about the extension, which is irrelevant.
I know why fans are touchy about this, but this is not Hewitt's contract. Gregory's contract was well structured to give GT flexibility if he didn't work out.

FWIW, Gregory has scheduled really smartly this year. He has avoided the really bad teams (sub 300) that kill your RPI whether you beat them or not.
GT is currently #60 in the NCAA's RPI. It has games upcoming against #30 Charlotte and #40 Dayton. Win one of those and your RPI goes up - especially Dayton since you get the bonus points for being a road win.

(FWIW I do hate the RPI as I think it is a very flawed metric - but its what the selection committee uses).

At the end of the day this program has to show enough progress for the AD to feel things are moving legitimately in the right direction. Until the USC Upstate loss you could make a decent argument, you cannot today. But if you win at least 2 of 3 from Dayton, Charlotte and Vandy and go say 9-9 in ACC - then you can make an argument.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agreed, my bad. Kind of snowballed on me a bit. Ill try to reel in a little.

Lol, you're always off the reservation. Honestly though, FWIW I don't think anyone really disagrees with you per se. I just think folks don't want to talk about it right now. Just want to focus on the positive/productive aspects of what's going on right now. The other discussion will happen but it can be draining to have it right now ... then throughout the season ... then again at the end of the season ...

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Gregory is so much better, coach wise, that what we had. He just can't seem to land that one really good BB player every year to keep the train on its track. That is the main difference in our program versus the top four or five in the ACC.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Gregory is so much better, coach wise, that what we had. He just can't seem to land that one really good BB player every year to keep the train on its track. That is the main difference in our program versus the top four or five in the ACC.
yep, but many coaches are either good recruiters or bench coaches.The really successful ones are both.
Greg has done average on coaching ( 5 of 100 )and below avg in recr (3 of 10) ..Without those wins vs uga-he would be history by now to me.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gregory wasn't going anywhere in less than 4 yrs period due to Hewitt's contract.

The other item GT fans sort of have to get over is extensions. Just because GT in the past has given out a couple of bad extensions doesn't mean you have to do it in the future. You can make an extension without it being overly tying.

Let's say Gregory wins 19 games and MBob decides that enough to keep him. That doesn't mean he has to open the bank. You can do what UGA did with Fox for example. You extend 2-3 yrs, gives a modest raise, but no increase to the buyout. That would allow you to keep a coach if he appears to be moving in the right direction, but not tie yourself to the coach if it turns out to be a mirage. You have to get out of the idea that an extension means a big financial commitment or big time commitment. Neither has to be true to a large extent.

Now DRad did do the big extension to Brownwell this offseason giving him an extension and a big buyout ($3M the next 2 yrs). But he isn't at GT anymore.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
DRad is actually doing the exact same thing at Clemson. They are going to rebuild Littlejohn next year and the team will play all next season in Greenville.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Gregory is something of an enigma. He is able to recruit big guys, but he doesn't seem to understand that a certain arcuate line on the court, along with the shot clock, means that you need to recruit shooters. His style is stuck in the 70's-early 80's.

There are lots of kids out there who can shoot. Schools like USC Upstate find them. Getting the big guys is the harder part. Gregory does that. He just doesn't seem to understand the importance of outside shooting.

He reminds me of Denny Crum, who built the Louisville program. A Wooden disciple (indirectly, so was Hewitt). Crum hated the 3 point rule, refused to adopt it, and it ultimately cost him his job. I don't know that Gregory doesn't like the 3 point rule (and his style is very different than Crum's), he just doesn't seem to understand the impact of it. Coach K and Rick Pitino--love them or hate them--have used the rule to max advantage, and are the modern, successful coaches.

Gregory will lose his job for the simple reason that he has not recruited guards who can shoot. Every successful mid-major has them, and they are out there. He just doesn't see the need for some unknown reason.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Gregory is something of an enigma. He is able to recruit big guys, but he doesn't seem to understand that a certain arcuate line on the court, along with the shot clock, means that you need to recruit shooters. His style is stuck in the 70's-early 80's.

There are lots of kids out there who can shoot. Schools like USC Upstate find them. Getting the big guys is the harder part. Gregory does that. He just doesn't seem to understand the importance of outside shooting.

He reminds me of Denny Crum, who built the Louisville program. A Wooden disciple (indirectly, so was Hewitt). Crum hated the 3 point rule, refused to adopt it, and it ultimately cost him his job. I don't know that Gregory doesn't like the 3 point rule (and his style is very different than Crum's), he just doesn't seem to understand the impact of it. Coach K and Rick Pitino--love them or hate them--have used the rule to max advantage, and are the modern, successful coaches.

Gregory will lose his job for the simple reason that he has not recruited guards who can shoot. Every successful mid-major has them, and they are out there. He just doesn't see the need for some unknown reason.

very interesting observation