I Am Finished with the Gregory Era

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
This is a touch early in the season to be screaming the sky is falling in my opinion.

That said we obviously need to tighten things up to make a run this year.

I am still pulling for and behind Gregory. He just seems to me to be the right kind of coach and he gets the "Tech Mentality". I am reserving judgement till January.

not that im going to bother an look but..... arent some of the same people in this bb thread who are pissin an a moanin the sames one who wanted cpj fired and roof fired and and and after we lost 14 players to attrition? including our starting qb? THANK GOD NO ONE LISTENED TO YOU! ;o)

maybe if we all spent more time believing we CAN DO IT than complaining THAT WE CANT DO IT our team would do even better. tell me where im wrong but .... arent the fans supposed to be the 12th player? or the 6th man?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
This is a touch early in the season to be screaming the sky is falling in my opinion.

That said we obviously need to tighten things up to make a run this year.

I am still pulling for and behind Gregory. He just seems to me to be the right kind of coach and he gets the "Tech Mentality". I am reserving judgement till January.

that works for me as well. good post.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
not that im going to bother an look but..... arent some of the same people in this bb thread who are pissin an a moanin the sames one who wanted cpj fired and roof fired and and and after we lost 14 players to attrition? including our starting qb? THANK GOD NO ONE LISTENED TO YOU! ;o)

maybe if we all spent more time believing we CAN DO IT than complaining THAT WE CANT DO IT our team would do even better. tell me where im wrong but .... arent the fans supposed to be the 12th player? or the 6th man?
I admit to being ready to can BG over getting sideswiped on Robert Carter, but I'll also admit that he recovered well in the transfer market and I'd prefer to see him succeed than not. I'll also admit that I was a Hewitt apologist for far too long.

We've got some talent on this squad, I happen to like our players, and the games are there to be played. Go out and win them and I'm fine. I don't care who he wins with, just go out and coach these kids to wins.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How's 2015 looking?

He's brought in four 4* guys. Two transferred before their junior years, one is a nice 2nd or third option on an ACC tema and jury still out on Tadric.

If you haven't figured it out by now, Peacone is a big GT supporter, but he isn't ever going to give BG any credit. He didn't think much of the hire, he's not a BG fan, and anything that gives him an opportunity to grind his axe, he is going to take it.

As you mentioned, people are entitled to their opinion, and we do have a lot of work cut out for us, but I agree with you completely that he has been a solid recruiter. We weren't going to end up with Jakeenan Gant regardless because he didn't have the academics. The same can be said for Ahmed Hill, but I'm glad that we got Tadric instead.

From what I have heard, even though he was completely blindsided, BG wouldn't have been able to prevent the Robert Carter thing regardless of his efforts. Hell, Carter's parents had no clue until after the fact. We can all thank Winfred Jordan for that BS. No, Solomon Poole didn't pan out, but at the time, I think that most GT fans agreed that it was a risk worth taking. You know what they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Like dtm mentioned, there is talent on this team, and there are games to be played. If we end failing miserably, then I trust that we have the right guy in mind to make the right call. Until that time, I am going to support this team and BG and look past all of the blowhards that overreact after every loss and spew "facts" (like he doesn't graduate players) when they have no idea what they're talking about.

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In defense of @Peacone36, he may not like BG's coaching style or recruiting ability, but I have full faith that he'd give him credit if he shows he can deliver positive results. Also, agree he's a big GT supporter.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not to interrupt anyone's dump fest on CBG, but who were the other coaches GT had a realistic shot at before we hired CBG? I'm not that plugged into the college basketball side of things so I have no clue...but if we're going to dump on CBG, it's good to know what our realistic options were at the time.

My #1 candidate to replace CBG if it comes to it would be Greg Marshall at Wichita State, but it's looking like only a special situation would pull him from there...ala Brad Stevens being offered by the Celtics.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We all have our own opinions, I'd rather have 22 win seasons than ammo to support every CBG claim and comment I've ever made. But that just isn't happening. Some people may be content with just beating UGA or skating by Rider. I'm not. The URI win was nice.

Some blame Hewitt for destroying the program, I dont. I see coaches everyday turn bad programs around that are "dead" that aren't recruting for the best program in a state pumping out top 150 talent. (21 players from '12-'14)

We were set to have a huge recruiting haul in 2015. I know the early signing period just ended but the writing is on the wall. If we don't get JB we have no chance at any available immediate difference members left out there.

Connell and have had this discussion before, he thinks I'm an arse and I think he's delusional. He is my favorite CBG apologist. But the one thing that can never be questioned is that we both want the same thing. That's for this thing to work.

I'd rather win games than be correct about CBG. Of that you can be sure.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I will never pull against Tech. Even in hopes of a new coach who would improve our chances to win. But, I think my realism comes across as being anti-BG. Maybe, deep down, I am just that. In the long run we will all soon know the answer.

I never thought we would be anything but 5-1 at this point, but I hoped we would look better getting here. If we lose tonight, I think we need to brace ourselves. That 3-game stretch after exams that begins with Vandy could be brutal for our egos. And our coach's future.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
All I know is that I am very disappointed by what I see on the basketball court, and frankly, I do no think it is that the guys aren't trying. I believe they are playing their hearts out.

Ergo, there is only one place left for me to place the blame. I have nowhere near enough basketball knowledge to say for sure whether BG is a good coach or not. My logic is expressed above and is pretty simple.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We all have our own opinions, I'd rather have 22 win seasons than ammo to support every CBG claim and comment I've ever made. But that just isn't happening. Some people may be content with just beating UGA or skating by Rider. I'm not. The URI win was nice.

Some blame Hewitt for destroying the program, I dont. I see coaches everyday turn bad programs around that are "dead" that aren't recruting for the best program in a state pumping out top 150 talent. (21 players from '12-'14)

We were set to have a huge recruiting haul in 2015. I know the early signing period just ended but the writing is on the wall. If we don't get JB we have no chance at any available immediate difference members left out there.

Connell and have had this discussion before, he thinks I'm an arse and I think he's delusional. He is my favorite CBG apologist. But the one thing that can never be questioned is that we both want the same thing. That's for this thing to work.

I'd rather win games than be correct about CBG. Of that you can be sure.

Pea, I got nothing but love for you. We may have disagreements on occasion, but I still recognize the passion for GT and knowledge of the game, and believe it or not, I enjoy talking hoops with you. No doubt, we both want the same thing, but it is some of the comments in this response illustrate why I think that we bump heads so often on this topic.

- you mentioned we were primed for a big recruiting haul. We were, but we ended up with two spots, and it just happens that we were recruiting against some major players. We're not going to win many battles against those guys until we start winning more games.

- you see coaches every day turning around programs that were dead. Who are they? I can only think of about 3-4 examples over the last couple of years where someone from the bottom of a Power 5 league to tournament team. Everyone wants to point to Larry Brown as an example, but he didn't make the tourney last year. How has Danny Manning fared thus far?

For the record, I do not think that I am a BG apologist. Hewitt yes, but not BG. I think that BG has done a lot of very good things for our program and the kids in it, but honestly, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if MBob decided to make a move tomorrow. Frankly, if BG has a deplorable season, then it is probably time to cut our losses and begin looking for someone that can accelerate our return to prominence, but....

I'm not going to come here and advocate that because the reality is that until that day comes, I'm going to support him and this team and hope that they both succeed. Coming here day after day and being so negative toward the current regime is not good for the board, the program, or my mental health as I watch these games. I want to enjoy basketball season, if we aren't excelling on the court.

Right now, we need to just win baby!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All I know is that I am very disappointed by what I see on the basketball court, and frankly, I do no think it is that the guys aren't trying. I believe they are playing their hearts out.

Ergo, there is only one place left for me to place the blame. I have nowhere near enough basketball knowledge to say for sure whether BG is a good coach or not. My logic is expressed above and is pretty simple.
I think their energy to start the season has been a little below par from last year, but I do think that will come around and it's because they'll be playing their hearts out for BG.

What's scary is that when you listen to his pressers, he knows strategy, he knows tactics... it's just not always translating on court.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
to answer your question. On one of these threads i had a list of coaches that resurrected prestigious programs in just a short period of time. Some programs not even prestigious.

Off the top of my head....

Hoiberg Iowa St
Tony Bennett Virginia
Larry Brown is at least trending up. He did have 27 wins last year
Lon Kruger at UNLV
Lon Kruger at Oklahoma
In year 4 Mike Anderson has Arkansas playing well.
Even though the tourneys arent there Andy Kennedy has done a good job at Ole Miss
Mick Cronin at Cincinati. Took him a bit longer but he improved his record each year before making the tournament
Ed Cooley at Providence
Tim Miles at Nebraska
Larry Kristkowiak at Utah has taken a dumpster fire to 21 wins in year 3 and i beleive they are ranked this year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I've stayed out of this thread because I have an opinion of CBG from his Dayton days and I've not seen anything to change that opinion. Definitely still rooting for our guys despite it all though.

Had to jump in because I see a nice @connell62 vs @Peacone36 battle brewing. Getcha popcorn ready. ;)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Nah, we have had those days, i enjoy the civility of this board much better.

If we get waxed tonight though....................that may wake the dragon. :)

another name for the list

Archie Miller 63 wins in first 3 years. Went to the regional final last year. Brought Dayton to the tournament last year for the first time since 08-09 and before that they hadnt been since 03-04.

Last edited:

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we played in their league, we'd have a lot more wins. Vice versa, they'd have a lot fewer wins if they played in the ACC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMHO, it's MUCH easier to fix a basketball program than it is to fix a football program. It really only takes 1-2 very good recruiting classes...and 2-3 very good players. Especially at a school with the history and recruiting territory of GT. By year 2-3 a school probably knows the direction a coach is headed in.

What concerns me about this staff is the over-reliance on transfers. It's like Kansas State football relying on JC players and other school's castoffs. That's not a good long term model for a program. Given the hotbed of Atlanta recruiting, and recruiting in the Southeast overall for basketball players, a school like GT shouldn't be so heavily dependent on transfers...just my opinion on that.

GT has the ability to recruit elite national level players...Thaddeus Young, Iman Shumpert, Gani Lawal, Jarrett Jack, Derrick Favors, Chris Bosh, Stephon Marbury, Javaris Crittenden, Kenny Anderson, etc. GT has the ability to recruit the "just shy of elite" players...Travis Best, James Forrest, Lewis Clinch, BJ Elder, etc. GT has, and always will have recruiting "pull". The ACC makes it tough for us to be a perennial NCAA Tourney team, but there is no reason why we can't make the NCAA 2 out of every 4 years and at least the NIT the years we don't go to the NCAA.

IMO, it's a failure on the current staff's part that we haven't been to any post season tournaments by now.