I Am Finished with the Gregory Era

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Please tell me a worse loss than losing to USC Upstate, I've never even heard of the school.

Mr. Keen

Banned
I guess it doesn't help that the arena is 80% empty.
The players know that Tech Hoops are a dead product - they are not dumb. They know the coach is going to get canned.
This would be the kind of game that the fans would will the team to victory - assuming we had any fans.
Not blaming the students or fans for not showing up - why would you?

All we can hope for is that Bobinski has been doing his homework for two years (now) - knowing that at the end of this season he would be replacing Gregory.
We can only hope he has scoured the entire coaching community and is poised to pounce and select a quality coach at the end of the year.
If the next Coach stinks - maybe Tech should just shut down the Men's Basketball program.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Now that a decision has been made to extend Johnson I have no doubt that Gregory is gone barring a miraculous turnaround. There was no way Tech could afford to buyout the football and basketball coach in the same year had the football team had another bad season this fall. That question has obviously been answered so Gregory has zero safety net in regards to the AA's finances to buy him out. The overall lack of talent (particularly at the guard spots) and atrocious game day execution on both ends of the court are inexcusable and something he completely owns 4 years in. His greatest accomplishment is owning the dwags for which many of us will always be grateful but competing for ACC championships and playing in the big dance is what needs to happen and we are no where close to either and have basically become cellar dwellers within our own conference.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There's probably additional value if you take this argument to twitter instead of just this forum. Here's your opportunity. Anyone who cops out and says Chris Mack is not much of a college hoops fan. You can do better.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Who watches college baseball? Hell the MLB is hard enough to sit through. I want our Jackets to perform well in all sports, but baseball is such a boring sport to follow AND its never on TV.

Baseball has the best record at GT over the last 30 years of any major sport. Our winning percentage is in the top 10 I think.

But I agree, baseball is BORING to watch most of the time. I like to listen while doing other things. The commentators for baseball seem to bring the game alive a lot more listening than watching.

You can get the CBS Sports package and watch almost every GT game. I watched some but usually while doing something else. It's kind of like basketball, wait for the last two minutes and either the game is over or all the action that matters occurs. (tic)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just wanted to remind everyone that this happened:

http://www.11alive.com/story/sports/2014/03/06/1953166/

Bobinski, he of the "I think giving coaches extensions for recruiting reasons is BS" as his excuse on not giving a certain coach an extension when that coach actually has won something and has a winning conference record...that coach being CPJ.

So instead of letting this season play out in what will be a grinder of a season in the toughest conference, we extend a coach and increase his buyout (if it comes to that). Sorry, I like CBG as a person, but I haven't seen anything in his 3 previous seasons to warrant an extension.

Maybe this team catches fire and gets to the NCAA...but the early returns on this team doesn't point to it.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Unsurprisingly, @Peacone36 put em on the table in response to the Coaching Changes twitter feed. Here's another question many want to have the opportunity to answer.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Unsurprisingly, @Peacone36 put em on the table in response to the Coaching Changes twitter feed. Here's another question many want to have the opportunity to answer.

More to the point, is it already too late ? (Short of finishing in the Top 4 of the ACC, I mean.)

For me, it is a combination of the talent level my eyes tell me we have in the program (not NCAA Tourney quality), and trendline (flat, at best). If other ACC teams really stink too and we manage 6 or even 8 ACC wins, my reaction will be "so what?". It will take a football-like turnaround to save this season and his job, imho.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
More to the point, is it already too late ? (Short of finishing in the Top 4 of the ACC, I mean.)

For me, it is a combination of the talent level my eyes tell me we have in the program (not NCAA Tourney quality), and trendline (flat, at best). If other ACC teams really stink too and we manage 6 or even 8 ACC wins, my reaction will be "so what?". It will take a football-like turnaround to save this season and his job, imho.
You make valid points, but my previous post was meant to give people here an opportunity to answer the tweet on twitter.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
After the game Saturday, it seems that the sands in the hour glass are moving faster...
Hoping that things turn around and we make the NIT and the grains will fall slower...

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You don't just figure it out all of a sudden this far into your coaching career. If he has a singular decent season and signs one 1 and done guy and we give him an extension I would have to point out that we didn't learn anything from the debacle of the previous regime.

But at the same time, after seeing what I see through 8 games I don't believe it's going to happen.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You don't just figure it out all of a sudden this far into your coaching career. If he has a singular decent season and signs one 1 and done guy and we give him an extension I would have to point out that we didn't learn anything from the debacle of the previous regime.

But at the same time, after seeing what I see through 8 games I don't believe it's going to happen.
My feeling precisely stated.