I Am Finished with the Gregory Era

Techster

Helluva Engineer
to answer your question. On one of these threads i had a list of coaches that resurrected prestigious programs in just a short period of time. Some programs not even prestigious.

Off the top of my head....

Hoiberg Iowa St
Tony Bennett Virginia
Larry Brown is at least trending up. He did have 27 wins last year
Lon Kruger at UNLV
Lon Kruger at Oklahoma
In year 4 Mike Anderson has Arkansas playing well.
Even though the tourneys arent there Andy Kennedy has done a good job at Ole Miss
Mick Cronin at Cincinati. Took him a bit longer but he improved his record each year before making the tournament
Ed Cooley at Providence
Tim Miles at Nebraska
Larry Kristkowiak at Utah has taken a dumpster fire to 21 wins in year 3 and i beleive they are ranked this year.

Tubbie Smith...at all his stops...

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If we played in their league, we'd have a lot more wins. Vice versa, they'd have a lot fewer wins if they played in the ACC.

If we played in that league we wouldnt have the same team we have now, but we probably wouldl still have the coach that has already proven that he cant make the tournament consistently out of that conference. Im sure last years Daytons team could have scratched out 5 big wins in the ACC.

Ok im done.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Given how Gregory planned to build this team I knew it would take time. I give him a partial pass for last season due to the stream of injuries. That was potentially an NIT team if healthy. Still could have been better.

When he came in, he all but said they weren't going to recruit 5 star guys the first couple of years as they tried to build a base of solid players that you could then add high 4/5 star talent to. Basically said he wanted to build a program that could sustain itself.

I'll wait and see how the year plays out before i make a final decision on him. I do think much like the FB program this is a decision year based on the coaches contract. I expect him to be either extended or released based on how this year plays out.

Recruiting has changed radically in the last 2-3 years in college basketball. CBS Sports had a nice article on this last month. Alot of coaches are now purposely not filling their scholarships in the fall. Basically they play for their A list and then if they miss rather than going to their B list they hold the schollies to the spring feeling they can get a more impactful player through transfers than from HS.
Last year the number of transfers avg almost 2 per school for all Div 1 baksetball. Gregory has obviously been one of those that has taken this approach. Staff still needs to do better in the fall but to his credit he recovered well in the Spring given Robert's surprise decision.

If MBob decides to make a move i'm quite comfortable with him as he has extensive basketball contacts and background. Based on his previous hires I would expect a very good find.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
RR says the eloquent, well though out version of what I think. :(

I really wish we weren't so heavy in the transfer game. I've said before, although this is clearly becoming a trend in bball, it's basically low budget one-and-done recruiting. You get all the roster turmoil but none of the benefits of having NBA talent added to the team. Ah well, no need to ramble on. At the EOY we'll have a resolution.

As an aside, I wonder what's Richmond's record is since signing Mooney to that lifetime deal. :rolleyes: I think they're about 6-7 games over .500.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I've stayed away from basketball out of digust and my bias against CBG. I'll pause on judgment until January but lets just say Im not a fan.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I've stayed away from basketball out of digust and my bias against CBG. I'll pause on judgment until January but lets just say Im not a fan.

I strongly disagree with you on this. You can have your own opinion of CBG and clearly there's split opinions on him on this site, but a fan should continue supporting their team, ESPECIALLY a college team, where these student athletes work their tails off to go out there and compete every night while juggling homework, tests, and practice

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Hey Red! How are the transfer players contacted? Do they initiate it? I would think if we did, it would be some type of violation.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Generally it would be through a third party (HS coach, AAU coach, guardian).
Kids pretty much know by Jan and Feb if they think they will transfer, usually they have someone who can get in touch with coaches for schools they are interested in. Schools have to wait until a kid decides to transfer to officially contact them, but the kids will usually have some idea of which schools will be an option for them.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Generally it would be through a third party (HS coach, AAU coach, guardian).
Kids pretty much know by Jan and Feb if they think they will transfer, usually they have someone who can get in touch with coaches for schools they are interested in. Schools have to wait until a kid decides to transfer to officially contact them, but the kids will usually have some idea of which schools will be an option for them.
Thanks! I enjoy your posts on various forums from many years back.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Completely unacceptable loss. Guys had no energy today. Need to find a way to bring energy in games where no one is there

I will continue to wait until the season is over to judge Gregory, but this loss does not look good

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The games will be played. Results will be recorded. A judgment will be made. He'll go if MBob decides he has to go.

Realistic benchmarking points are end of the OOC schedule & midway through the ACC season.

ETA: Today will not be helpful towards deciding he should stay.

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
The games will be played. Results will be recorded. A judgment will be made. He'll go if MBob decides he has to go.

Realistic benchmarking points are end of the OOC schedule & midway through the ACC season.

ETA: Today will not be helpful towards deciding he should stay.

It's over. There's no point ranting and freaking out, but this program is completely dead and so is Gregory's tenure here. Hewitt was substantially and measurably better than Gregory. The 'we're rebuilding' excuse lost its power by last year and is completely illegitimate this year. This team is just abysmal.

Mr. Keen

Banned
If you care about GT Basketball (those few of you) - why would you want Tech to win this year? Clearly, the best course is for the team to be a loser and then remove the coach.
Imagine, say, the team maxed-out its potential - 8-10 in the ACC 18-12 overall - went to the NIT won the first 2 rounds. That may mean Gregory returns - god forbid should that happen.
No one wants the team to go 0-18 in the ACC - but 5-13 is about right. Whatever it takes to remove the coach.
By the way - the arena was ghost-empty once again. There are 18,000 students at TECH - maybe 500 went to the game or 3% of the student body - the other 97% couldn't care less.
Is there a limit of how mediocre and irrelevant a program must become before the coach is removed?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
@McCamish Maniacs I agree to extent. I will never NOT support the students and I desire the best for them. CBG is not the answer. Basketball is my favorite sport and watching the team I root for play this terribly will cause me to have a stroke and or break things, punch kittens and kick puppies.

I have to remove myself from viewership until this guy is gone.