I Am Finished with the Gregory Era

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
The pitiful thing is we may be better than last year. I don't even know. At least Tadric can score and looks for his shot, not that it will make a difference this year. With Virginia Tech hiring Buzz Williams and Wake Forest hiring Danny Manning, Tech needs to figure out this Gregory situation now before we are literally the worst program in the ACC.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Part of it is coaching but then again part of it is just poor talent and that is on Gregory too. Half of the job is recruiting in college sports and he hasn't done a very good job of that.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Lol.

Welcome folks, i was getting lonely on this side of the fence.

Help is on the way remember. Big time recruits coming in both '15 and '16 to bring the program back to relevance. That was very difficult btw because GA is basically a barren wasteland when it comes to basketball talent.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Lol.

Welcome folks, i was getting lonely on this side of the fence.

Help is on the way remember. Big time recruits coming in both '15 and '16 to bring the program back to relevance. That was very difficult btw because GA is basically a barren wasteland when it comes to basketball talent.
Yeah... That Brown kid at Wheeler isn't worth spit..

(Obvious TIC about JB, at least I hope it's obvious )

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Well
Didn't mean for mine to have come across as knocking your comment.

While I'm disappointed in our performance the last couple of years, I do think we are headed in the right direction.

well, right now we have taken one step forward and 2 steps back this yr--we just lost to a weak team

Chan15A

Georgia Tech Fan
The only thing Gregory can recruit is other coaches... Im pretty sure he's signed the same amount of coaches as players. They may be good coaches and a good fit but without recruiting guys that have "high ceilings" the product on the court isn't going to get where we want it. And with the addition of L'ville, Pitt, Cuse, and ND were are sliding down the totem pole in the NCAA "basketball conference" (ACC).

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
The only thing Gregory can recruit is other coaches... Im pretty sure he's signed the same amount of coaches as players. They may be good coaches and a good fit but without recruiting guys that have "high ceilings" the product on the court isn't going to get where we want it. And with the addition of L'ville, Pitt, Cuse, and ND were are sliding down the totem pole in the NCAA "basketball conference" (ACC).

People can complain about Gregory on the court, but I don't think it's fair to criticize his recruiting.

Year 1: He brought in a great class with MGH and Robert Carter, not to mention Solomon Poole, who we all saw clearly had the talent
Year 2: He brought in Jorgenson and Quinton Stephens. Jorgenson is now our starting PG and a player who many of us love. Just needs to get healthy now. Quinton Stephens is now the only player on our team who can shoot well and could end up being one of our leading scorers and most important players on the team
Year 3: Tadric Jackson. Gifted scorer. Georgia player of the year. Best player on Georgia state champion team. Additionally, Lammers is a player many of us are saying resemble DM and could be better than him, and AD is very raw, but we see his potential
Year 4: Still to be seen, but we are currently right in the thick of it for the #1 player in the country, someone Gregory has been recruiting since he was in 8th grade. Also brought in Ogbonda, who is a player many recruiting analysts have said is very underrated and could be a great pickup

This doesn't factor in the many transfers he has done a good job bringing in like Trae Golden, Josh Heath, Charles Mitchell, Demarco Cox, Nick Jacobs, and Robert Sampson

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
People can complain about Gregory on the court, but I don't think it's fair to criticize his recruiting.

Year 1: He brought in a great class with MGH and Robert Carter, not to mention Solomon Poole, who we all saw clearly had the talent
Year 2: He brought in Jorgenson and Quinton Stephens. Jorgenson is now our starting PG and a player who many of us love. Just needs to get healthy now. Quinton Stephens is now the only player on our team who can shoot well and could end up being one of our leading scorers and most important players on the team
Year 3: Tadric Jackson. Gifted scorer. Georgia player of the year. Best player on Georgia state champion team. Additionally, Lammers is a player many of us are saying resemble DM and could be better than him, and AD is very raw, but we see his potential
Year 4: Still to be seen, but we are currently right in the thick of it for the #1 player in the country, someone Gregory has been recruiting since he was in 8th grade. Also brought in Ogbonda, who is a player many recruiting analysts have said is very underrated and could be a great pickup

This doesn't factor in the many transfers he has done a good job bringing in like Trae Golden, Josh Heath, Charles Mitchell, Demarco Cox, Nick Jacobs, and Robert Sampson

Oh dear, I respectfully disagree. Have you seen the talent that has been in GA since he's been at GT? His recruiting is awful.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Oh dear, I respectfully disagree. Have you seen the talent that has been in GA since he's been at GT? His recruiting is awful.

I agree there has been lots of talent (although not much in 2013), which means maybe he should have brought in a few different guys, but I will respectfully disagree with you calling his recruiting "awful" when he has been consistently bringing in 4 star players

Last edited:

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
nothing like finishing last or near last in the acc. that will entice recruits to come to gt.

nothing like not only finishing last in the acc but not graduating players and recruiting problem kids. that will entice recruits to come to gt.

imo i dont think some of you realize how badly our brand was affected by phewitt.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I agree there has been lots of talent (although not much in 2013), which means maybe he should have brought in a few different guys, but I will respectfully disagree with you calling his recruiting "awful" when he has been consistently bringing in 4 star players

How's 2015 looking?

He's brought in four 4* guys. Two transferred before their junior years, one is a nice 2nd or third option on an ACC tema and jury still out on Tadric.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is a touch early in the season to be screaming the sky is falling in my opinion.

That said we obviously need to tighten things up to make a run this year.

I am still pulling for and behind Gregory. He just seems to me to be the right kind of coach and he gets the "Tech Mentality". I am reserving judgement till January.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
How's 2015 looking?

He's brought in four 4* guys. Two transferred before their junior years, one is a nice 2nd or third option on an ACC tema and jury still out on Tadric.

Regarding 2015, we just got done the early signing period and we're in the mix for the #1 player in the country. Come on now, its way too early and not fair to be saying stuff like that

RCJ and Solo have nothing to do with recruiting, the point is he got them to come here which is what we're discussing

I'm not saying I'm thrilled with Gregory, but given the state of the program, I think he's done a pretty good job recruiting and has been far from "awful"