How many teams...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
@4shotB You didn't read MBob's strategic plan for GT Athletics? If you haven't it will take you all of 1 minute. It is like reading a coloring book. BTW you can look at GTAAs budget, it is open book. GTAA can't even pay for two coaches who were fired, one many years ago. If the fact that GTAA can barely fund the level that most fans find unacceptable doesn't motivate you to help, I doubt an Ice Cream truck type campaign would motivate you either.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@4shotB You didn't read MBob's strategic plan for GT Athletics? If you haven't it will take you all of 1 minute. It is like reading a coloring book. BTW you can look at GTAAs budget, it is open book. GTAA can't even pay for two coaches who were fired, one many years ago. If the fact that GTAA can barely fund the level that most fans find unacceptable doesn't motivate you to help, I doubt an Ice Cream truck type campaign would motivate you either.

Haven't read it but will. Didn't know it existed but I don't open many emails or do social media but I have not heard it ementioned or discussed either here or by my GT friends, which may speak to issues with communication . I am not sure what an "Ice Cream Truck" campaign is as I have never heard or used that term in my professional career. I have used the term strategic plan and I have raised capital to execute same. In other words, I had to justify my requests for money. Otherwise I didn't get it. I think this maybe the mindset of other engineering graduates but I could be wrong. I am not sure what you are getting at but I think linking requests for money with a sound strategic plan would increase contributions. If you disagree, that is OK, but why not give it a shot?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Haven't read it but will. Didn't know it existed but I don't open many emails or do social media but I have not heard it ementioned or discussed either here or by my GT friends, which may speak to issues with communication . I am not sure what an "Ice Cream Truck" campaign is as I have never heard or used that term in my professional career. I have used the term strategic plan and I have raised capital to execute same. In other words, I had to justify my requests for money. Otherwise I didn't get it. I think this maybe the mindset of other engineering graduates but I could be wrong. I am not sure what you are getting at but I think linking requests for money with a sound strategic plan would increase contributions. If you disagree, that is OK, but why not give it a shot?

Don't spend time with MBob's plan. It was a piece of trash that they spent one or two years completing. It is more like a PowerPoint presentation than an actual plan. It is 28 pages long, but only 13 pages have words on them. The ones with words are like this one:

ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE Provide a top-tier environment that supports the academic success of our student-athletes from admission through graduation.

That takes an entire page of the 13 pages that have words. MBob ran off good athletic staff. He ran off donors. He left people without direction in the athletic office. He neglected the coaching staffs. However, he spent time to create a strategic plan that provides absolutely no direction to the program other than have great students and great athletics. The only good thing that MBob did was to hire Pastner. Overall I think MBob hurt athletics and specifically the football program tremendously.

If you are serious about donating more if you have more information, send an email to TStan. I almost guarantee that he will read it, and he might even respond and address it. If he were to get several emails with the same concerns, he would probably address it. Let him know that you were unaware of the campaign, and that if you had more information about how the money would be used you would donate more. I believe TStan has been able to retrieve many if not all of the large donors run off by MBob. He is trying to appeal to a larger base of normal fan donors. If you seriously want to be a part of helping GT Athletics, the GTAA will respond and will assist you in helping.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Don't spend time with MBob's plan. It was a piece of trash that they spent one or two years completing. It is more like a PowerPoint presentation than an actual plan. It is 28 pages long, but only 13 pages have words on them. The ones with words are like this one:

ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE Provide a top-tier environment that supports the academic success of our student-athletes from admission through graduation.

That takes an entire page of the 13 pages that have words. MBob ran off good athletic staff. He ran off donors. He left people without direction in the athletic office. He neglected the coaching staffs. However, he spent time to create a strategic plan that provides absolutely no direction to the program other than have great students and great athletics. The only good thing that MBob did was to hire Pastner. Overall I think MBob hurt athletics and specifically the football program tremendously.

If you are serious about donating more if you have more information, send an email to TStan. I almost guarantee that he will read it, and he might even respond and address it. If he were to get several emails with the same concerns, he would probably address it. Let him know that you were unaware of the campaign, and that if you had more information about how the money would be used you would donate more. I believe TStan has been able to retrieve many if not all of the large donors run off by MBob. He is trying to appeal to a larger base of normal fan donors. If you seriously want to be a part of helping GT Athletics, the GTAA will respond and will assist you in helping.

remind me again...who hired MBob? (not trying to be snarky, but wasn't it Peterson?)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

BTW, if you are interested in reading it, here it is:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...6/misc_non_event/2016-GTAA-Strategic-Plan.pdf

But don't expect to get anything useful out of it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
remind me again...who hired MBob? (not trying to be snarky, but wasn't it Peterson?)

There was a 7 person search committee that consisted of:

Stephen P Zelnak Jr.
Sue Ann Allen
Lynn Durham
Roddy Jones
Pat McKenna
Steven Swant
Al Trujillo

They also used an external search company. I don't know why Mbob was selected, I just know that the result was that he dragged GT Athletics down several notches.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Student fees are indeed appropriated by the Hill, but I was not aware of the 2.2 mil additional funding.
Definition used for the additional funding in that study:

"Includes both direct and indirect support from the university, including state funds, tuition, tuition waivers etc., as well as federal Work Study amounts for student workers employed by athletics department. It also includes the value of university-provided support such as administrative services, facilities and grounds maintenance, security, risk management, utilities, depreciation and debt service that is not charged to the athletics department."

So, not necessarily any cash transfers at all. Your understanding may have bene correct that the school does not supply $ funding..but this study counts other things...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Definition used for the additional funding in that study:

"Includes both direct and indirect support from the university, including state funds, tuition, tuition waivers etc., as well as federal Work Study amounts for student workers employed by athletics department. It also includes the value of university-provided support such as administrative services, facilities and grounds maintenance, security, risk management, utilities, depreciation and debt service that is not charged to the athletics department."

So, not necessarily any cash transfers at all. Your understanding may have bene correct that the school does not supply $ funding..but this study counts other things...

Even if it isn't cash transfers, if the school pays for utilities, or grounds maintenance and does not charge the athletic department for their share of those expenses, that is still money paid that the athletic department doesn't have to spend. If I take my wife to lunch and pay the tab, that is no different than taking her to lunch and giving her the exact change to pay her portion.(Other than my wife would be pissed at me).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Even if it isn't cash transfers, if the school pays for utilities, or grounds maintenance and does not charge the athletic department for their share of those expenses, that is still money paid that the athletic department doesn't have to spend. If I take my wife to lunch and pay the tab, that is no different than taking her to lunch and giving her the exact change to pay her portion.(Other than my wife would be pissed at me).
LOL...just trying to clarify this for #Supersizethatorder-mutt...

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

Looks pretty competitive to me. Especially with real college students and the second lowest football budget(half the budget of the teams above us)

48-46 vs FBS over the last 8 years.

5 losing seasons in the last 8 vs. FBS.

The record is competitive when Gailey recruits for him.

18-18 vs. FBS in the 3 seasons before Roof came, but I guess we need a scapegoat. According to many posters, there is no way that Johnson is the problem--it must be Roof.

A high percentage of football revenue these days comes from TV. Not sure why we are spending less than others in the ACC. Our football attendance is comparable to other ACC teams, except FSU, Clemson and Va Tech. We also fund fewer non-revenue sports than other ACC schools.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
48-46 vs FBS over the last 8 years.

5 losing seasons in the last 8 vs. FBS.

The record is competitive when Gailey recruits for him.

18-18 vs. FBS in the 3 seasons before Roof came, but I guess we need a scapegoat. According to many posters, there is no way that Johnson is the problem--it must be Roof.

A high percentage of football revenue these days comes from TV. Not sure why we are spending less than others in the ACC. Our football attendance is comparable to other ACC teams, except FSU, Clemson and Va Tech. We also fund fewer non-revenue sports than other ACC schools.
We get the same TV revenue as Clemson. They're athletic budget is 150% of our athletic budget. They sell more tickets at higher prices, sell more merchandise, and get more donations. Pretty clear that their fan base wants to win more than ours.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We get the same TV revenue as Clemson. They're athletic budget is 150% of our athletic budget. They sell more tickets at higher prices, sell more merchandise, and get more donations. Pretty clear that their fan base wants to win more than ours.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
That or they have a bigger fan base.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That or they have a bigger fan base.

GT living alumni 123,000. Clemson living alumni 149.000. That is not 150% more than GT. They consistently sell out an 81,500 seat stadium. GT consistently does not sell out a 55,000 seat stadium. They get almost double GT's money from ticket sales. They get more than triple GT's donations. They get 2.64 times donation money/living alumni as GT.(Since living alumni is given as a reason that GT gets less donations.)

Clemson is paying for a Lamborghini, GT is paying for a Nissan. No matter how many fans, how many alumni, you should get the results for what you put into it. GT consistently gets more than we pay for, but can only occasionally approach the Lambo level. GT fans cannot reasonably expect a Lamborghini while spending Nissan money, but they complain on internet forums about having to drive a Nissan all the same.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
GT living alumni 123,000. Clemson living alumni 149.000. That is not 150% more than GT. They consistently sell out an 81,500 seat stadium. GT consistently does not sell out a 55,000 seat stadium. They get almost double GT's money from ticket sales. They get more than triple GT's donations. They get 2.64 times donation money/living alumni as GT.(Since living alumni is given as a reason that GT gets less donations.)

Clemson is paying for a Lamborghini, GT is paying for a Nissan. No matter how many fans, how many alumni, you should get the results for what you put into it. GT consistently gets more than we pay for, but can only occasionally approach the Lambo level. GT fans cannot reasonably expect a Lamborghini while spending Nissan money, but they complain on internet forums about having to drive a Nissan all the same.
You need to insert a certain phrase into your first two sentences and recalculate for your post to be relevant: “...that give a hang about football.”

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You need to insert a certain phrase into your first two sentences and recalculate for your post to be relevant: “...that give a hang about football.”

Even with that, GT fans expectations should match their commitment. I highly suspect that the majority of the people complaining now have never donated to the athletic department. I also suspect that the majority of people complaining most do not buy season tickets. I suspect that a large number of them do not attend any games at all. There are some who buy season tickets and donate, but I believe the majority of them sit on their couch on Saturday drinking beer and complain about all of the stuff the GT football and GT athletics should be doing. My message to those guys is: If you want them to do better, then do your part.