How many teams...

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry Silas we all do not live in your black and white world. I for one loved experiencing the Orange bowl win; winning the ACC; beating UGA 2 out of the last 4 years. That is not mediocrity it is just pretty good football Would I like that every year. Hell yes but even the big boys cannot and do not do that. So if anybody is whining you may want to look in the mirror and go pick another team to support like Alabama. Oh wait they just got beat. Isn’t football fun.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Aaaand this is why our fanbase is so small. The elitist attitude seems to get worse as the L's pile up.
There’s really no reason to be a Tech fan unless you’re an alumni, or have family who are alumni.
We cripple ourselves and we’re proud of it. Tech is gonna have to make a choice one day. keep crippling ourselves and struggle to fill a below average size stadium ,and miss bowl games ,and lose by 31 to our biggest rival. Or Losen the academic standards and become competitive against top teams, then win over the city and start filling Bobby Dodd and winning football games. Fans = Money, yeah I’m sure it’s great to be such a good academic school but you can keep those same majors for the people that want them, but make some easier majors for the athletes. If GTAA wants money they will have to do it, look at how much money football brings in for schools that put money into football, gotta spend money to make money.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes - yes it is.

Elitist: (of a person or class of persons) considered superior by others or by themselves, as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society

To note the realities of the Institute compared to those universities we generally regard as "football factories" does not qualify as an elitist position - and to say it is in an attempt to discredit my observation is pretty pathetic...

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
There’s really no reason to be a Tech fan unless you’re an alumni, or have family who are alumni.
We cripple ourselves and we’re proud of it. Tech is gonna have to make a choice one day. keep crippling ourselves and struggle to fill a below average size stadium ,and miss bowl games ,and lose by 31 to our biggest rival. Or Losen the academic standards and become competitive against top teams, then win over the city and start filling Bobby Dodd and winning football games. Fans = Money, yeah I’m sure it’s great to be such a good academic school but you can keep those same majors for the people that want them, but make some easier majors for the athletes. If GTAA wants money they will have to do it, look at how much money football brings in for schools that put money into football, gotta spend money to make money.

You are absolutely right, my man. But I think you overestimate the amount of money that GT athletics produces, or could produce, for the school compared to the millions in public and private grants that the school receives from being an elite research institution.

I, like you and most everyone here, want to win football games. But the school is gonna go with DuPont, Dow Chemical, Raytheon, Boeing, Northrop-Grumman, Pfizer, etc. and what they want cause they pay the bills. Don’t expect the drastic changes needed to compete in the college football arms race to happen anytime soon. Hopefully, they can get Paul what he needs to continue to be successful, to continue to find those “diamonds in the rough”, and to stay competitive. Can’t have your cake and eat it too all the damn time. Gotta keep the right perspective.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You are absolutely right, my man. But I think you overestimate the amount of money that GT athletics produces, or could produce, for the school compared to the millions in public and private grants that the school receives from being an elite research institution.

I, like you and most everyone here, want to win football games. But the school is gonna go with DuPont, Dow Chemical, Raytheon, Boeing, Northrop-Grumman, Pfizer, etc. and what they want cause they pay the bills. Don’t expect the drastic changes needed to compete in the college football arms race to happen anytime soon. Hopefully, they can get Paul what he needs to continue to be successful, to continue to find those “diamonds in the rough”, and to stay competitive. Can’t have your cake and eat it too all the damn time. Gotta keep the right perspective.
Juts think....we too can become Tulane! Oh boy!

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Our fan base is small because there are around 15k undergrad students. Ohio State has around 52k

GT is in the middle of a major city. All these transplants from the Northeast who have no CFB team should all become GT fans. But they dont because GT is hamstrung by their own doing.

I agree with the post above that GT is going to have to loosen the academics and start being competitive that way. Consistently compete and rake in all those transplants or stay the same small alumni-centric fanbase. If the latter then be prepare to lose more sidewalk fans.

Animal02

Banned
GT is in the middle of a major city. All these transplants from the Northeast who have no CFB team should all become GT fans. But they dont because GT is hamstrung by their own doing.

I agree with the post above that GT is going to have to loosen the academics and start being competitive that way. Consistently compete and rake in all those transplants or stay the same small alumni-centric fanbase. If the latter then be prepare to lose more sidewalk fans.
Not going to happen......most transplants will continue to be fans of their own schools. Hell, I live in the metro Detroit area, aI don’t give a rip about U. of Michigan. Being in a big city in not a positive.....you have the Falcons and now pro soccer to compete for those scarce entertainment dollars......not the same in Tuscaloosa, anywhere in Iowa or Nebraska. State College etc.
And Tech really loosening standards to compete in sports is laughable.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

The entire GTAA budget is approximately $75million. The budget of the school(which excludes athletics) is $1.66billion. The budget and revenue for the school is 22 times greater than the budget and revenue for athletics. GTRI has a budget and revenue of over $300million, more than 4 times the entire athletic budget. The highest athletic budget a couple of years ago was Texas A&M at about $194million. In contrast to Steam's opinion, GTRI has more revenue then the largest NCAA school athletic budget. The school has an order of magnitude larger budget than GT's athletic budget and the largest NCAA athletic budget.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
Juts think....we too can become Tulane! Oh boy!

Honestly, they probably have more alumni involvement than we do. They bought property in downtown NO and built them a stadium. That takes some serious cash. And as alumni, y’all should be embarrassed. I’m just a lifetime sidewalk fan who spends his overtime pay on season tickets, but even I can see the problem. And trust me, it ain’t coaching.

And I can’t help it that most of y’all are foreign nowadays either. A whole (excuse me, half-full) stadium crammed with old white guys who have no idea what millennials are about. This whole thing isn’t rocket science, some of y’all could probably figure that out. Sometimes you just gotta “dance with what bring ya.”

The spread option under Johnson is the only thing keeping us competitive. It gives a school without an identity, an identity.

Buzzzard

Georgia Tech Fan
Honestly if I'm a college athlete and I get offered by GT and Stanford I'm 100% going to Stanford. GT may be a big academic name around the school and is pretty big overseas, but in the US Stanford is on another level. Not to mention you have more choices in majors besides business and engineering.
Just took a look at Stanford's football roster. It appears heavy with "undeclared" and Science, Tech & Society majors (whatever that is). For what it's worth...........

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Just took a look at Stanford's football roster. It appears heavy with "undeclared" and Science, Tech & Society majors (whatever that is). For what it's worth...........

From an Stanford STS graduate:

"The major was incredibly flexible. Aside from the core classes, which could be taken in a year (ask me how I know!), it was essentially an individually designed major.

An STS major could obtain either a BA or BS, depending on the focus of studies and how you go about it. Your range of topics could be quite broad, or relatively focused. Your proposed program needed to be approved by your advisor and other faculty member(s) for your focus area(s)."

Many students at Stanford consider it to be a garbage degree.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
The entire GTAA budget is approximately $75million. The budget of the school(which excludes athletics) is $1.66billion. The budget and revenue for the school is 22 times greater than the budget and revenue for athletics. GTRI has a budget and revenue of over $300million, more than 4 times the entire athletic budget. The highest athletic budget a couple of years ago was Texas A&M at about $194million. In contrast to Steam's opinion, GTRI has more revenue then the largest NCAA school athletic budget. The school has an order of magnitude larger budget than GT's athletic budget and the largest NCAA athletic budget.

Exactly. So why do you think they’d be interested in pushing the limits of academic accommodation when they’re not hurting for money? That’s what I’m trying to get across.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, they probably have more alumni involvement than we do. They bought property in downtown NO and built them a stadium. That takes some serious cash. And as alumni, y’all should be embarrassed. I’m just a lifetime sidewalk fan who spends his overtime pay on season tickets, but even I can see the problem. And trust me, it ain’t coaching.

And I can’t help it that most of y’all are foreign nowadays either. A whole (excuse me, half-full) stadium crammed with old white guys who have no idea what millennials are about. This whole thing isn’t rocket science, some of y’all could probably figure that out. Sometimes you just gotta “dance with what bring ya.”

The spread option under Johnson is the only thing keeping us competitive. It gives a school without an identity, an identity.
Firing CPJ will solve nothing. Bud Peterson MUST come off some money for the GTAA for us to become competitive. CPJ has had to work with skeleton staffs, salary limitations, etc. I get the frustrations, but I don't think that firing our coach does much for us, and I don't think that closing our eyes and being proud of our academics does anything for us athletically. Tulane draws maybe 20,000 average attendance, and has a withered football program. I mentioned them because back in the day they were once a football powerhouse, but the Bud Peterson's of Tulane chose to stop funding football, and a team that competed in the SEC became a team that can't compete in the AAC.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I very much agree with DCS - original poster on this thread.

My only gripe really is how CPJ will not consider using more QB's with different abilities. I think using Lucas today when we needed a better throwing QB would have been worth a try. He is loyal to a fault.

Don't get me wrong. I like TM a LOT. But sometimes, he cannot hit a wide open guy 15 yds down the field. I remember a terrible throw to Brad and another that Clinton had to make a very difficult dive to try to catch. Both of them were wide open.

FYI - It would not have made a huge difference, but maybe made the game a little more competitive. Until we get BIG nasties (DTs) that can run and LB's like Roquan, our D will always be undermanned. As I like to say, we are small, but slow.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Firing CPJ will solve nothing. Bud Peterson MUST come off some money for the GTAA for us to become competitive. CPJ has had to work with skeleton staffs, salary limitations, etc. I get the frustrations, but I don't think that firing our coach does much for us, and I don't think that closing our eyes and being proud of our academics does anything for us athletically. Tulane draws maybe 20,000 average attendance, and has a withered football program. I mentioned them because back in the day they were once a football powerhouse, but the Bud Peterson's of Tulane chose to stop funding football, and a team that competed in the SEC became a team that can't compete in the AAC.

I have posted many times that looking at the financial reports of public schools, GT's school and students provide as much funding to athletics as most other schools. The VERY large difference is all on the fans: tickets, donations, and merchandising. If the fans want the GTAA to have more money, then the FANS MUST: buy more tickets, buy more merchandise, and donate more money. As an example, the large fundraising push that GTAA has had going on since Monday and ends in 2 hours has a total of less than 300 donors. The lack of money at the GTAA is all on us, not on Peterson.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
From one of the Tech forums (I forget which)
:
Before you complain about the state of our football program, this has to be on the table. GT is 61st out of 65 Power 5 teams in football budget. Below is how our spending compares to the rest of the ACC. When the top 4 are spending basically double or more than we are, it's no wonder we are falling behind. If you want things to change, take it to the GTAA, not the football office.

Florida State (No.2): $42.46 million
Notre Dame* (No. 4): $38.97 million
Clemson (No. 10): $34.67 million
Virginia Tech (No. 16): $31.15 million
Miami (No. 25): $28.47 million
Duke (No. 36): $23.47 million
North Carolina (No. 37): $23.46 million
Louisville (No. 38): $23.43 million
Syracuse (No. 39): $23.22 million
Pittsburgh (No. 40): $23.13 million
Boston College (No. 48): $21.35 million
Virginia (No. 51): $20.33 million
NC State (No. 54): $19.19 million
Georgia Tech (No. 61): $17.38 million
Wake Forest (No. 63): $16.61 million

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have posted many times that looking at the financial reports of public schools, GT's school and students provide as much funding to athletics as most other schools. The VERY large difference is all on the fans: tickets, donations, and merchandising. If the fans want the GTAA to have more money, then the FANS MUST: buy more tickets, buy more merchandise, and donate more money. As an example, the large fundraising push that GTAA has had going on since Monday and ends in 2 hours has a total of less than 300 donors. The lack of money at the GTAA is all on us, but on Peterson.
By and large, GT fans give as much OR MORE *per capita* than fans at just about every other college football program in the US. We simply have a tiny fan base. Remember there are less than 50,000 living GT alumni in the entire state of Georgia. The alumni base and fan base of schools with MUCH larger enrollments is a superb foundation for raising more money than GTAA raises. I cannot blame the fans when our per capita giving is high relative to other schools. Talk to Peterson or the BOR about expanding the student base if you want to solve this problem long term.

Once again, this whole thing is Bud Peterson's problem.

Animal02

Banned
I very much agree with DCS - original poster on this thread.

My only gripe really is how CPJ will not consider using more QB's with different abilities. I think using Lucas today when we needed a better throwing QB would have been worth a try. He is loyal to a fault.

Don't get me wrong. I like TM a LOT. But sometimes, he cannot hit a wide open guy 15 yds down the field. I remember a terrible throw to Brad and another that Clinton had to make a very difficult dive to try to catch. Both of them were wide open.

FYI - It would not have made a huge difference, but maybe made the game a little more competitive. Until we get BIG nasties (DTs) that can run and LB's like Roquan, our D will always be undermanned. As I like to say, we are small, but slow.
Have you seen Lucas in practice all season? If not, you have no business making such a claim.

Buzzzard

Georgia Tech Fan

"The major was incredibly flexible. Aside from the core classes, which could be taken in a year (ask me how I know!), it was essentially an individually designed major.

An STS major could obtain either a BA or BS, depending on the focus of studies and how you go about it. Your range of topics could be quite broad, or relatively focused. Your proposed program needed to be approved by your advisor and other faculty member(s) for your focus area(s)."

I suppose you'd be just as well off heading to Athens for a few years.