How many teams...

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Just to be factually correct, Tulane’s new stadium is on their campus in the Garden District, not downtown. It is a very small stadium, with a capacity of 30,000. And it can be hotter than Hell in September as it was when they opened it against us a few years ago.

Honestly, they probably have more alumni involvement than we do. They bought property in downtown NO and built them a stadium. That takes some serious cash. And as alumni, y’all should be embarrassed. I’m just a lifetime sidewalk fan who spends his overtime pay on season tickets, but even I can see the problem. And trust me, it ain’t coaching.

And I can’t help it that most of y’all are foreign nowadays either. A whole (excuse me, half-full) stadium crammed with old white guys who have no idea what millennials are about. This whole thing isn’t rocket science, some of y’all could probably figure that out. Sometimes you just gotta “dance with what bring ya.”

The spread option under Johnson is the only thing keeping us competitive. It gives a school without an identity, an identity.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
By and large, GT fans give as much OR MORE *per capita* than fans at just about every other college football program in the US. We simply have a tiny fan base. Remember there are less than 50,000 living GT alumni in the entire state of Georgia. The alumni base and fan base of schools with MUCH larger enrollments is a superb foundation for raising more money than GTAA raises. I cannot blame the fans when our per capita giving is high relative to other schools. Talk to Peterson or the BOR about expanding the student base if you want to solve this problem long term.

Once again, this whole thing is Bud Peterson's problem.

I disagree. Less the 300 donors for a major fundraising campaign? That is on Peterson?

GT fans are absolutely pathetic. Fire this person!!, Fire that person!!, bench the QB!!, bench the kicker!!, WTH does a soda cost $4? Why does parking cost $20? Oh, you want me to donate something? The school should just pay for that. I'm not going to donate even $10, but you had better win all of the games or I'm going on to an internet forum to ask for everyone to be fired.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
I have posted many times that looking at the financial reports of public schools, GT's school and students provide as much funding to athletics as most other schools. The VERY large difference is all on the fans: tickets, donations, and merchandising. If the fans want the GTAA to have more money, then the FANS MUST: buy more tickets, buy more merchandise, and donate more money. As an example, the large fundraising push that GTAA has had going on since Monday and ends in 2 hours has a total of less than 300 donors. The lack of money at the GTAA is all on us, but on Peterson.

Absolutely. You’re just not graduating many fans though. Whose fault is that? Coaches? Alumni? The GTAA? Possibly Admissions? And unless the ones that are fans breed and have babies and raise them to be Tech fans, the numbers eventually begin to approach zero over time. Georgia fans, and other state university fan bases, aren’t fans cause they win so much.... it’s because they’re born into it. If you can’t beat them out, gonna have to breed them out.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Sorry Silas we all do not live in your black and white world. I for one loved experiencing the Orange bowl win; winning the ACC; beating UGA 2 out of the last 4 years. That is not mediocrity it is just pretty good football Would I like that every year. Hell yes but even the big boys cannot and do not do that. So if anybody is whining you may want to look in the mirror and go pick another team to support like Alabama. Oh wait they just got beat. Isn’t football fun.

Or maybe you could go support Vassar.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
Just to be factually correct, Tulane’s new stadium is on their campus in the Garden District, not downtown. It is a very small stadium, with a capacity of 30,000. And it can be hotter than Hell in September as it was when they opened it against us a few years ago.

Noted. Thank you for being factual and clarifying my comments. I appreciate it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
By and large, GT fans give as much OR MORE *per capita* than fans at just about every other college football program in the US. We simply have a tiny fan base. Remember there are less than 50,000 living GT alumni in the entire state of Georgia. The alumni base and fan base of schools with MUCH larger enrollments is a superb foundation for raising more money than GTAA raises. I cannot blame the fans when our per capita giving is high relative to other schools. Talk to Peterson or the BOR about expanding the student base if you want to solve this problem long term.

Once again, this whole thing is Bud Peterson's problem.

As of 10:08PM on 11/25/17 there have been 273 donors to the campaign that started on Monday. So six days and only 273 so-called fans thought it important enough to contribute. As I said, pathetic.

https://swarmweek.atfund.org/campaigns/swarm-week-1

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Firing CPJ will solve nothing. Bud Peterson MUST come off some money for the GTAA for us to become competitive. CPJ has had to work with skeleton staffs, salary limitations, etc. I get the frustrations, but I don't think that firing our coach does much for us, and I don't think that closing our eyes and being proud of our academics does anything for us athletically. Tulane draws maybe 20,000 average attendance, and has a withered football program. I mentioned them because back in the day they were once a football powerhouse, but the Bud Peterson's of Tulane chose to stop funding football, and a team that competed in the SEC became a team that can't compete in the AAC.

Are you sure it was not due more to raising academic standards?

I remember watching the Bobby Dodd coaches show one Sunday after GT had gone down to play Tulane. He, very arrogantly, was deriding the crowd size at Tulane. Then he pulls the masterful stoke that led us towards having the same problems.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. You’re just not graduating many fans though. Whose fault is that? Coaches? Alumni? The GTAA? Possibly Admissions? And unless the ones that are fans breed and have babies and raise them to be Tech fans, the numbers eventually begin to approach zero over time. Georgia fans, and other state university fan bases, aren’t fans cause they win so much.... it’s because they’re born into it. If you can’t beat them out, gonna have to breed them out.

Sure the coaches, players, and GTAA could do more to get students involved. Pastner did a good job with students last year. But: 50,000 living alumni in-state, around 30,000 season ticket holders, and less than 300 people have donated to a major fundraising campaign? Fewer than 300? That is more embarrassing than the loss today.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Are you sure it was not due more to raising academic standards?

I remember watching the Bobby Dodd coaches show one Sunday after GT had gone down to play Tulane. He, very arrogantly, was deriding the crowd size at Tulane. Then he pulls the masterful stoke that led us towards having the same problems.
I know this from my Dad who attended Tulane back before WWII and watched how the Administration changed their level of support for athletics. I suspect he had no reason to lie about it as he was actually not a big football fan.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Sure the coaches, players, and GTAA could do more to get students involved. Pastner did a good job with students last year. But: 50,000 living alumni in-state, around 30,000 season ticket holders, and less than 300 people have donated to a major fundraising campaign? Fewer than 300? That is more embarrassing than the loss today.
With respect, I have donated to GTAA...when I paid the Tech Fund for my season tickets in both football, and then again for my season tickets in basketball. Why should I make a special effort to contribute *more* this week?

I wil say it again....GT fans already contribute more per capita than most other ACC & SEC programs....average from every GT alumni in ticket sales and contributions is $161, for UNC it is $145, and for Virginia Tech it is $135...you can pick out one week all you want, but you should be smart enough to look at the big picture...it is still a numbers game.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Sorry Silas we all do not live in your black and white world. I for one loved experiencing the Orange bowl win; winning the ACC; beating UGA 2 out of the last 4 years. That is not mediocrity it is just pretty good football Would I like that every year. Hell yes but even the big boys cannot and do not do that. So if anybody is whining you may want to look in the mirror and go pick another team to support like Alabama. Oh wait they just got beat. Isn’t football fun.

Uh, actually, the big boys DO do that. We win a conference championship or a major bowl once or twice every 10 years; the big boys FAIL to do it only once or twice every 10 years. And yes, Alabama lost today, but in case you haven’t looked, that made them 11-1, a teensy bit better than 5-6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
With respect, I have donated to GTAA...when I paid the Tech Fund for my season tickets in both football, and then again for my season tickets in basketball. Why should I make a special effort to contribute *more* this week?

I wil say it again....GT fans already contribute more per capita than most other ACC & SEC programs....average from every GT alumni in ticket sales and contributions is $161, for UNC it is $145, and for Virginia Tech it is $135...you can pick out one week all you want, but you should be smart enough to look at the big picture...it is still a numbers game.

Clemson $35million in contributions
FSU $32million in contributions
Virginia $31.5million in contributions
Louisville $30million in contributions
UNC $23million in contributions
Va Tech $19million in contributions
NC State $15million in contributions
Ga Tech $11million in contributions

Athletic donations divided by living alumni:

GT $87.3 per alumnus
UNC and VT $76
FSU $103
Clemson $234

Miami isn't available because it is a private school and doesn't disclose their athletic budget. So the two ACC teams that have been in the playoffs are also the two teams that get the most donations per alumni and also get the most donations overall. Looking at ticket sales, GT is dead bottom of ACC at $13million. NC State is next at $14million. The rest are north of $19million. Clemson is at $29million. On overall budget, GT is dead last in the ACC at $76million. Clemson and FSU are at $104million and $103million.

You are correct that it is a numbers game. And the numbers show that the teams leading the conference have 50% more revenue than GT. Clemson can spend 50% more money than GT. That is how they can afford to pay for all of the recruiting and support staff. UGA gets $33million in donations and sell $28million worth of tickets. the UGA revenue is $123.8million. BTW that is $108 in donations per alumni(more than GT).

If GT wants to have the staff to compete with Clemson and UGA, the GTAA needs more money. At the schools with the money(Clemson, FSU), the money does not come from the school, it comes from the fans. If GT fans want GT to compete, the fans need to pony up, period.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If GT wants to have the staff to compete with Clemson and UGA, the GTAA needs more money. At the schools with the money(Clemson, FSU), the money does not come from the school, it comes from the fans. If GT fans want GT to compete, the fans need to pony up, period.

Well, we agree it is a money issue. My data included Contributions PLUS ticket sales. Contributions are most often seat license fees like the Tech Fund. But be careful, GT declares a ton of its revenue as Other (over $15 million, iirc), which the other schools do not, and I suspect some of that comes from fans, but even at that, the figures do change in you take a more careful read of them. I believe once you adjust everything to be on the same footing, you will see our fans pay more per capita than just about any of the other schools...the one school I will tip my cap to is Clemson. They have done an excellent job of funding their program.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well, we agree it is a money issue. My data included Contributions PLUS ticket sales. Contributions are most often seat license fees like the Tech Fund. But be careful, GT declares a ton of its revenue as Other (over $15 million, iirc), which the other schools do not, and I suspect some of that comes from fans, but even at that, the figures do change in you take a more careful read of them. I believe once you adjust everything to be on the same footing, you will see our fans pay more per capita than just about any of the other schools...the one school I will tip my cap to is Clemson. They have done an excellent job of funding their program.

Other is listed as "sources of revenue, including game guarantees, school-specific revenue from bowl games, support from third-parties guaranteed by the school such as TV income, housing allowances, etc.; revenue from sports camps; income from athletics restricted endowments and investments that are used for operations in the reporting year."

That would include endowment distributions, renting facilities for concerts and such. This year it will include the money from the Atlanta United games.

Using tickets and contributions per alumni, GT is at $195 and Clemson is at $389. CPJ has said that Clemson is committed. GT's fan base is only committed to complaining. They certainly are not committed to doing their part.

BTW at 11:17 with 43 minutes left in the drive, still only 274 donors.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I have been giving to the AT fund each year for the past 10 years and the TECH fund when I buy my tickets...didn't even know about this swarm week campaign...you would think someone from GTAA would call donors to talk it up and ask for more money. Think marketing and fund raising efforts have been poor for years.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I very much agree with DCS - original poster on this thread.

My only gripe really is how CPJ will not consider using more QB's with different abilities. I think using Lucas today when we needed a better throwing QB would have been worth a try. He is loyal to a fault.

Don't get me wrong. I like TM a LOT. But sometimes, he cannot hit a wide open guy 15 yds down the field. I remember a terrible throw to Brad and another that Clinton had to make a very difficult dive to try to catch. Both of them were wide open.

FYI - It would not have made a huge difference, but maybe made the game a little more competitive. Until we get BIG nasties (DTs) that can run and LB's like Roquan, our D will always be undermanned. As I like to say, we are small, but slow.

I was with you wanting to see LJ or JJ in the 2nd half. What neither of us knows is how they have compared to TM in practice. Thus maybe not the most viable option. On the other hand CPJ himself said he thought he could successfully scheme for all of them. With 8 minutes to go in the game I was kinda eager to see some proof of that.

But again....I'm admittedly just a dumb fan. As a matter of fact...didn't a backup come in late and fumble a snap? See there...I don't know better than the coaches.