How many teams...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has tons of sidewalk fans there is your difference.

Fine, but is the number of people who have been posting and lurking on this forum the past couple of days greater than or smaller than 274? People love to complain, but the great majority of those complaining are not pulling their weight to make a difference.

Without a consistent winning team we will never garner sidewalk fans. That coupled with the egotistical attitudes and ol man get off my lawn folks. Nope ain’t gonna happen.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
More sidewalk donate than alumni just saying

I'm happy with that. However, there are 372 people currently on this forum. 274 people donated to a major fundraising campaign. GT will never have Clemson's staff or facilities if people large and small don't donate. People who don't buy tickets and don't donate(I remember that you do), shouldn't be surprised that they don't get the better results they say they want.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
The real question is what is Tech trying to do. Tech isn't winning a national title with CPJ period but I'm also very aware 90% of coaches AND programs aren't built to win titles. Tech's ceiling imo has been hit with CPJ now the question is do we risk being terrible for a few years for a chance at improving the program. Classic Hawks mediocrity question they blew it up to try and win a championship down the road. Now TS needs to decide if he wants a chance at titles or stay average. I'm cool staying average in Football and focus on Basketball. Tech always has been more of a basketball school. We keep Paul realize it will be 5,6,7 wins a year with 1 9-10 win every 4 to 5 years

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
expanding the campus is extremely difficult. You have housing to work around (which is starting to run a deficit so adding housing is a bad idea, thanks to the last 3 years of adding student housing near campus) Where ya want to put in a new building? The last 4 buildings added onto GTs campus had to be funded by large donations or corporate sponsorship because there just isnt any real estate available to add anything.

@RonJohn are you that ignorant on college football Usce really grew their base when Steve Spurrier was there. Dude I seriously question whether you know **** nor shinola about college football.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
@RonJohn are you that ignorant on college football Usce really grew their base when Steve Spurrier was there. Dude I seriously question whether you know **** nor shinola about college football.

Really, USCe averaged 65,500 in 1990. They averaged above 80,000 in the late 90s and early 2000s. Unless I am wrong, Spurrier didn't start coaching at USCe until the mid 2000s. Are you sure I am the one that doesn't know anything about college football?

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
48-46 vs FBS over the last 8 years.

5 losing seasons in the last 8 vs. FBS.

The record is competitive when GIFF SMITH recruits for him.

18-18 vs. FBS in the 3 seasons before Roof came, but I guess we need a scapegoat. According to many posters, there is no way that Johnson is the problem--it must be Roof.

A high percentage of football revenue these days comes from TV. Not sure why we are spending less than others in the ACC. Our football attendance is comparable to other ACC teams, except FSU, Clemson and Va Tech. We also fund fewer non-revenue sports than other ACC schools.

FIFY

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

Looks pretty competitive to me. Especially with real college students and the second lowest football budget(half the budget of the teams above us)

Oh, goodie. Now I’m happy with 5-6 and the UGA blowout loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've long said here and at other forums that Tech fans are spoiled rotten.

We got to bowl games for 21 straight years. Allow me to repeat that: 21 STRAIGHT YEARS. Do people here have any idea what most of the programs in college football would do to trade places with us? Sacrifice their entire football staff to Kali at halftime of their homecoming game would be my guess. Now we have a two hard luck years sandwiching a 9 win season and beat Ugag 2 of the last 3 years and everyone is all "We can't except mediocrity! We need to make massive changes (starting with firing coaches)! I am not a crank!"

Look, I've been going to Tech games for over 40 years now. Believe me, I know what mediocre football looks like. I remember when having a winning season and going to a bowl was so rare it was a cause for celebration. We had a much more equal recruiting and facility base then as well. And it didn't help. What did the job was a series of better coaches in the last 27 years. Coach is the latest.

Has our fan base adjusted their perspective? Not that I've seen. Everyone wants us to be a top 15 program every year. (I'm not sure why that is; I look around the stands and see a lot of people who must have been watching Tech football nearly as long as I have. They should know better.) We can get better if we pony up the cash to do it, but not until. And we probably won't be a top 15 suspect every year, even if we do, for reasons everyone here is familiar with.

Just a side note: the main reason USCe fills their stadium for home games is that they are at night. This has been their plan for eons; having the games at night gives everybody who wants to travel from the rest of the state an opportunity to get to the game. And, since this is South Carolina we're talking about, there isn't much else doing of a Saturday night.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I've long said here and at other forums that Tech fans are spoiled rotten.

We got to bowl games for 21 straight years. Allow me to repeat that: 21 STRAIGHT YEARS. Do people here have any idea what most of the programs in college football would do to trade places with us? Sacrifice their entire football staff to Kali at halftime of their homecoming game would be my guess. Now we have a two hard luck years sandwiching a 9 win season and beat Ugag 2 of the last 3 years and everyone is all "We can't except mediocrity! We need to make massive changes (starting with firing coaches)! I am not a crank!"

Look, I've been going to Tech games for over 40 years now. Believe me, I know what mediocre football looks like. I remember when having a winning season and going to a bowl was so rare it was a cause for celebration. We had a much more equal recruiting and facility base then as well. And it didn't help. What did the job was a series of better coaches in the last 27 years. Coach is the latest.

Has our fan base adjusted their perspective? Not that I've seen. Everyone wants us to be a top 15 program every year. (I'm not sure why that is; I look around the stands and see a lot of people who must have been watching Tech football nearly as long as I have. They should know better.) We can get better if we pony up the cash to do it, but not until. And we probably won't be a top 15 suspect every year, even if we do, for reasons everyone here is familiar with.

Just a side note: the main reason USCe fills their stadium for home games is that they are at night. This has been their plan for eons; having the games at night gives everybody who wants to travel from the rest of the state an opportunity to get to the game. And, since this is South Carolina we're talking about, there isn't much else doing of a Saturday night.
Come on! Columbia has professional Major League baseball, basketball, soccer and football to compete against. Oops my bad... USCe is pretty much the only "game" in town. Not as much competition for the entertainment dollar in the area.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Come on! Columbia has professional Major League baseball, basketball, soccer and football to compete against. Oops my bad... USCe is pretty much the only "game" in town. Not as much competition for the entertainment dollar in the area.
I wasn't aware that an "entertainment dollar" could be used in Columbia.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you are serious about donating more if you have more information, send an email to TStan. I almost guarantee that he will read it, and he might even respond and address it. If he were to get several emails with the same concerns, he would probably address it.

This post intrigued me enough that I actually sent him an email.

He said he had already read the thread and that he was sifting through this and the other sites religiously in search of coaching candidates to keep on his "short list". He says he has an account (username "Ih8Dawgs") but mostly lurks and that he has learned more in his time visiting this site about running an athletics department than he has in any of his previous stops in his career. He attributes that fact to the excellent education we received as well as the athletic training we received in middle and high school as well as GT flag football intramurals.

Actually, paragraph 2 is entirely false. My first statement is not. I have never been moved enough to write to the GTAA before and was careful to use professional language. Not one single time did I use the word "suck" or "fire" or "embarrassed". Nor did the phrase "accept mediocrity" or "cheapen my degree" enter into the dialogue. I just laid out the points that I made here earlier. We will see where and what becomes of it. But I do appreciate the suggestion. Sincerely.