How Important is Recruiting?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Aren't offensive linemen supposed to be some of the most brainy of all players on the field? I don't know why I believe that, but it's something I've heard enough that I just take it for a given. If it is, seems like GT would be a great place for them to come to get both and education and play good football.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This is so critical and ignored in the "class rankings". If (hypotherically) we were to sign 25 4* and 5* star "athletes" and skill position guys and no lineman and TE's, on paper we would look great and people would lose their minds over the incredible job done by the new coaching staff. However, 3 or 4 years down the road we might be incrementally better than we are now. Great OL can make decent backs look great. I think our current stable of backs would look much, much different behind Uga's OL. Heck, I think Pyron as a true FR can do the things their QB can do right now. This is one reason I don't put too much emphasis on "class rankings".
...and we know this well enough to pay lip service to it... or maybe to accept it an excuse. It just doesn't feel like we really practiced what we preached. Hopefully we are truly paying attention and doing what it takes to get the big guys we need up front on both sides. I did see a couple of promising high ranked DL types... thats a good thing and I hope they stay and pan out.

chriscarter

Georgia Tech Fan
The reality nobody wants to face is that our #1 problem is recruiting. There are numerous reasons so just pick one. Every week we play teams with higher recruiting classes and superior athletes. We need a recruiter for head coach which we can do and we need to open up to ncaa standards and consider majors. Neither will happen

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The reality nobody wants to face is that our #1 problem is recruiting. There are numerous reasons so just pick one. Every week we play teams with higher recruiting classes and superior athletes. We need a recruiter for head coach which we can do and we need to open up to ncaa standards and consider majors. Neither will happen
We just fired a recruiter posing as a head coach. No thank you

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That time has passed. It's a money game now. We can recruit on the same level as Duke, UVA, VT, and Wake. If we want to jump to the FSU, Miami, Clemson level then we will have to pay the entry fee. Even Louisville is starting to play this game and they will be permanent rivals soon.

JacketFan137

Banned
Our next coach needs to build a program and staff that can not only recruit and develop players, but can also game plan and scheme such that we win games. We do not need to hire a "recruiter for head coach", which is what you said.
we do need to hire a recruiter for a head coach. they have to be able to do that. not really something to argue about haha

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Why do people debate this question? This board is full of Paul Johnson fans.
Then in rolled the Geoff Collins disciples. 404, ATL, recruiting, NFL, Big Time football, Elite, Waffle House, dance routines, money down, tweets, cheerleading BS, etc. We've gone 13-31, .295 win percentage, worst ever in 120 years of GT football. Why are we even debating this? We need to get our program back to where it was 4 years ago, then we can try another experiment. We don't need platers quitting during games, before the season finishes, going to other schools because the culture is rotten to the core. We don't need bush league commentators riduculing us, being a laughingstock, being pitied for being that program that used to compete, etc. Another Geoff Collins and more of this BS and there won't be D1 football on The Flats for these fly by night fans people to cry about. Collins & his ilk had their chance, time for the adults to take the program back over. If it's not readily apparant at this point, there's not much more that can be said. The handwriting is on the wall.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
we do need to hire a recruiter for a head coach. they have to be able to do that. not really something to argue about haha
Yes, there is. We need to hire the best coach at building a program, not just a good recruiter. We just fired a good recruiter who did a bad job at everything else. If we hire someone who excels at everything except recruiting, then he will have the recruiter on staff.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yes, there is. We need to hire the best coach at building a program, not just a good recruiter. We just fired a good recruiter who did a bad job at everything else. If we hire someone who excels at everything except recruiting, then he will have the recruiter on staff.
no one said that the head coach doesn’t need to be good at other things. this is an argument you’ve made up in your head.

in no way shape or form is saying we need a coach who is a good recruiter a controversial statement.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
no one said that the head coach doesn’t need to be good at other things. this is an argument you’ve made up in your head.

in no way shape or form is saying we need a coach who is a good recruiter a controversial statement.
The only requirement you have mentioned is that the coach needs to be a good recruiter. If you do not want people to argue against that point, perhaps stop insisting that it is true when it is not.

JacketFan137

Banned
The only requirement you have mentioned is that the coach needs to be a good recruiter. If you do not want people to argue against that point, perhaps stop insisting that it is true when it is not.
my fault i forgot every single comment i need to outline an itemized list of 30 things i need the coach to do well.

no need to be this pedantic. the coach needs to recruit well. the coach needs to develop our talent. he needs to use his timeouts well. he needs to manage the game well. he needs to call good plays. he needs to…

JacketFan137

Banned
If we recruited as well in football as baseball, then we'd be bowling most every year.

Recruiting is very important, but winning in post season depends more on coaching.
it’s another piece of the pie. recruiting better will help the team and we should be striving to do it well. just as we should strive to do anything well.

just recruiting is never enough. just scheme is never enough. gotta do as many things well as you possibly can but somehow if you mention anything about needing a coach who can recruit well is mentioned a couple of people on this page lose their minds because recruiting is something collins did and they don’t want that same situation to happen again

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
my fault i forgot every single comment i need to outline an itemized list of 30 things i need the coach to do well.

no need to be this pedantic. the coach needs to recruit well. the coach needs to develop our talent. he needs to use his timeouts well. he needs to manage the game well. he needs to call good plays. he needs to…
You seem to be fixated that he needs to a good recruiter over more important criteria. Why does the coach need to be a good recruiter if he hires a staff of people who can coach and recruit? The answer is he does not. Again, we just fired a good recruiter. I want a person who can rebuild our program and not specifically be a good recruiter. If he can recruit, great, but if not, I will not care if he hires good recruiters.

JacketFan137

Banned
You seem to be fixated that he needs to a good recruiter over more important criteria. Why does the coach need to be a good recruiter if he hires a staff of people who can coach and recruit? The answer is he does not. Again, we just fired a good recruiter. I want a person who can rebuild our program and not specifically be a good recruiter. If he can recruit, great, but if not, I will not care if he hires good recruiters.
i want my head coach to be able to perform a necessary part of the job at a high level. i want him to be good at a lot of things. recruiting is one of them. for some reason this is controversial to you and it makes no sense.

why does the coach need to have an offensive scheme if he can just hire coordinators to do that? see how that sounds

only at georgia tech could we have people actively advocating for our team to not have good recruiting from the head coach

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
i want my head coach to be able to perform a necessary part of the job at a high level. i want him to be good at a lot of things. recruiting is one of them. for some reason this is controversial to you and it makes no sense.

why does the coach need to have an offensive scheme if he can just hire coordinators to do that? see how that sounds
It sounds correct. O'Leary did not have an offensive scheme. He hired Fridge for that. How did that work out? It does not matter if coach does everything at a high level. Just the important stuff like building a staff and program that is designed to win. The head coach actually does very little of the recruiting with the exception establishing the culture of the program and making a final sell. It is the assistants who do most of the recruiting, not the HC. If he does not have the staff to evaluate, recruit and develop talent, it will not matter if the head coach excels at recruiting.

JacketFan137

Banned
It sounds correct. O'Leary did not have an offensive scheme. He hired Fridge for that. How did that work out? It does not matter if coach does everything at a high level. Just the important stuff like building a staff and program that is designed to win. The head coach actually does very little of the recruiting with the exception establishing the culture of the program and making a final sell. It is the assistants who do most of the recruiting, not the HC. If he does not have the staff to evaluate, recruit and develop talent, it will not matter if the head coach excels at recruiting.
yeah you have a weird agenda against recruiting cause what you are saying is absolutely all over the place and makes little sense in the context of 2022 college football.

the head coach needs to be the closer and the ultimate final say on recruits. they have to be involved with the process and they are at literally every successful program in college football. how you are still arguing against this is insane

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
yeah you have a weird agenda against recruiting cause what you are saying is absolutely all over the place and makes little sense in the context of 2022 college football.

the head coach needs to be the closer and the ultimate final say on recruits. they have to be involved with the process and they are at literally every successful program in college football. how you are still arguing against this is insane
LOL! I do not have an agenda against recruiting. It is very important part of building a program. I just do not care if our next coach is himself an excellent recruiter. That is way down my list. And, no, not "literally every successful program" has an excellent recruiter as a head coach. That is insane.