How Important is Recruiting?

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
There's a concept called Blue-Chip Ratio that pertains to the % of a team's players that are 4* or 5*. 247 has been doing analyses of this for championship-level teams over several years. Here's the most recent article: https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...national-championship--190039196/#190039196_1
While this focuses on a team's ability to win the National Championship, it should translate to lesser accomplishments to a degree for teams that don't recruit to the level of a UGA or Bama.

This is a good read!

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Good question.
How about Bama pre Saban? Georgia pre Kirby? Clemson pre Dabo? A couple years ago, they were about to run harbaugh out of Ann Arbor...What explains the down years for any of these programs? Their recruiting didn’t change but their results sure did.
The Tenn example earlier in this thread was a good one too.
Georgia pre-Kirby huh, CMR averaged about 9 or 10 wins a season

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Georgia pre-Kirby huh, CMR averaged about 9 or 10 wins a season
I think you’ve missed context. In response to the “recruiting is EVERYTHING” crowd I noted that Richt almost exclusively landed in the “Top 5” of recruiting annually (whatever that means) but rarely finished an actual season ranked so highly.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We need 4-5 4 stars a year at Positions of need, QB/OT/DE/LB other then that 3 star RBs CBs and WRs are pretty much a dime a dozen but we need to get guys who fit the scheme and culture. Getting a 4 star WR/CB doesn’t ever excite me that much because there’s just so many of them, and RB is just plug and play.

JacketFan137

Banned
We need 4-5 4 stars a year at Positions of need, QB/OT/DE/LB other then that 3 star RBs CBs and WRs are pretty much a dime a dozen but we need to get guys who fit the scheme and culture. Getting a 4 star WR/CB doesn’t ever excite me that much because there’s just so many of them, and RB is just plug and play.
yeah we need to be recruiting at a top 30ish level if we really want to challenge uga year over year. getting 4* guys at key positions like qb and the lines on both sides is the only way to close that gap