How Important is Recruiting?

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck

[ā€¦]

There are lots of ways that CEOā€™s hire badly. There are lots of ways that head coaches hire bad assistants. A good head coach should hire good assistants, but that in no way means that the top guy should mainly be a recruiter.

Yes, Friedgen was exposed to recruiting. It wasnā€™t his specialty. FBS is populated with a lot of successful head coaches who hire people who recruit better than they do.
Thatā€™s the point. Thereā€™s proof of successful coaches who arenā€™t great recruiters, but theyā€™re great head coaches. The head coach does not have to be a great recruiter to have a great team or hire great recruiters to work for him.
I think weā€™re fairly away from where I started now - I said ā€œMy concern with ā€œthe coach doesnā€™t have to be the head recruiterā€ is that I think if you take that too far, you get a coach who isnā€™t even qualified to judge the abilities of the staff. ā€œ I donā€™t think the coach has to be head recruiter, I just would prefer someone who knows what it looks like at a program that is successful at the P5 level.

This is my concern with a Chadwell more than with a Mullen or with a OBrien type. Yes, you can hire people without knowing the job in and out yourself, but itā€™s certainly harder. The biggest things that Iā€™ve seen be helpful in that situation are personal networks, boards of directors, and investors, and the latter two donā€™t apply here - so if Iā€™m an AD I imagine Iā€™d be interested in the coachā€™s connections, especially for someone coming from a school that doesnā€™t recruit the same level.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
It is amazing to me that today even in the tailspin and HC vacancy that we have a solid Brookwood WR committed to GT. That tells me a few things. GT is still a desirable destination for certain athletes who place value on what a degree from GT can offer. Second, itā€™s impressive that the coaches are still out there on the recruiting trail letting football players know that there are lots of opportunities to play ball here early and have an immediate impact on the direction of the future of our football team.
Third, itā€™s impressive that the AD has given the green light to send our ā€œreal offersā€ to players not knowing what the preferences of the new incoming coaches will be. Forth, will the incoming football staff honor these offers or will they pull them and send out all new ones post hiring. Fifth, we need to get a HC hired/announced before we miss the December early signing period. However I suppose losing one or a few signatures of athletes during the early period is a very small concession if we take a little bit longer to double check our candidate pool and make a better hire as opposed to a knee jerk ā€œhire nowā€ mentality to appease the Dec early signing period.

slugboy

Staff member
I see a Mod communication in your futureā€¦
Dude, I'm glad he's gone. Collins is probably not even a bad person--he got his dream job and wasn't suited for it and couldn't or didn't grow into it and left behind a huge mess.

I wish he would have voluntarily left before last season with a reduced buyout, but I wouldn't have cut my buyout in half if I were him--I have a family and who would light a pile of more money than you'd ever seen rather than keep it for your family?

I just don't want US to be jerks to people--coaches or athletes. Even to the other people on this board.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It is amazing to me that today even in the tailspin and HC vacancy that we have a solid Brookwood WR committed to GT. That tells me a few things. GT is still a desirable destination for certain athletes who place value on what a degree from GT can offer. Second, itā€™s impressive that the coaches are still out there on the recruiting trail letting football players know that there are lots of opportunities to play ball here early and have an immediate impact on the direction of the future of our football team.
Third, itā€™s impressive that the AD has given the green light to send our ā€œreal offersā€ to players not knowing what the preferences of the new incoming coaches will be. Forth, will the incoming football staff honor these offers or will they pull them and send out all new ones post hiring. Fifth, we need to get a HC hired/announced before we miss the December early signing period. However I suppose losing one or a few signatures of athletes during the early period is a very small concession if we take a little bit longer to double check our candidate pool and make a better hire as opposed to a knee jerk ā€œhire nowā€ mentality to appease the Dec early signing period.
The Rivals article about the Brookwood WR commit is more evidence that, whoever we end up with as HC, I hope we retain KW.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
GT was VERY close to making the CFP in 2014.
Donā€™t think we were ā€œVeryā€ close. Wouldnā€™t say we were actually that close at all. We werenā€™t even a top 10 team heading into the FSU game, a team that snuck in at 4. Also undefeated teams got left out of the playoff that year. A team with a Duke loss was not getting in over 1 loss teams and a undefeated TCU.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Donā€™t think we were ā€œVeryā€ close. Wouldnā€™t say we were actually that close at all. We werenā€™t even a top 10 team heading into the FSU game, a team that snuck in at 4. Also undefeated teams got left out of the playoff that year. A team with a Duke loss was not getting in over 1 loss teams and a undefeated TCU.
I suppose there's an argument to be made that winning the ACC over FSU (and we came close) that year would have gotten us close to consideration as ACC champs. We would have had a pretty good resume with wins over some highly-ranked teams including the prior year's national champs. I agree though, it still would probably have not been enough given our two losses.

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
I think that Collins played the recruiting ranking game. The class rankings only take into account the number of commits and their ratings. It does nothing to take into account need among positions or place greater weight to the relative importance among the positions. It seemed like a huge percentage of our highly rated players were DB's and WR's and not so much among the OL and DL.

I think we need a HC that can evaluate talent. Not just when it comes to recruiting and identifying who we should bring onto the team, but also one that can make decisions on playing time and the proper position for guys to play based their skills.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think that Collins played the recruiting ranking game. The class rankings only take into account the number of commits and their ratings. It does nothing to take into account need among positions or place greater weight to the relative importance among the positions. It seemed like a huge percentage of our highly rated players were DB's and WR's and not so much among the OL and DL.

I think we need a HC that can evaluate talent. Not just when it comes to recruiting and identifying who we should bring onto the team, but also one that can make decisions on playing time and the proper position for guys to play based their skills.
even though they are raking in 4/5* talent, uga and bama have actually seen some 3* players end up being phenomenal for them. so not only are they taking all the blue chips, they are also either scouting well and finding diamonds in the rough or just developing players at a better rate than we did. thatā€™s all part of the recruiting process too

Deleted member 6494

even though they are raking in 4/5* talent, uga and bama have actually seen some 3* players end up being phenomenal for them. so not only are they taking all the blue chips, they are also either scouting well and finding diamonds in the rough or just developing players at a better rate than we did. thatā€™s all part of the recruiting process too
Good teams always start with good coaches, they win big in their entrance jobs and mold their game around the talent they possess. It does not take long for an AD in a higher conference to note his ability to win.

He is promoted to a higher conference, has better players, and other High School players notices his winning habits, thus his recruiting increases somewhat. He continues to win big in this new conference, and the big dog eats the little dogs. He is promoted to the next level and continues to win with the better athletes from that level.

He has begun to be noticed as a winner everywhere he goes. His recruiting also increases because players want to play for a winning coach. Because of his coaching prowess, good players tend to want to play for him and his recruiting continues to flourish.

It always starts with a good coach and the recruiting will follow suit. Jimbo Fisher had the best recruiting year ever for all years of recruiting last year, yet his team is 3-6 for this year. Collins actually increased the quality of recruits to a degree but did not know how to use them.

JacketFan137

Banned
Good teams always start with good coaches, they win big in their entrance jobs and mold their game around the talent they possess. It does not take long for an AD in a higher conference to note his ability to win.

He is promoted to a higher conference, has better players, and other High School players notices his winning habits, thus his recruiting increases somewhat. He continues to win big in this new conference, and the big dog eats the little dogs. He is promoted to the next level and continues to win with the better athletes from that level.

He has begun to be noticed as a winner everywhere he goes. His recruiting also increases because players want to play for a winning coach. Because of his coaching prowess, good players tend to want to play for him and his recruiting continues to flourish.

It always starts with a good coach and the recruiting will follow suit. Jimbo Fisher had the best recruiting year ever for all years of recruiting last year, yet his team is 3-6 for this year. Collins actually increased the quality of recruits to a degree but did not know how to use them.
in jimboā€™s case you often donā€™t see the fruits of the touted recruiting class until a year or 2 in. at the end of the day even if guys are phenomenal athletes in high school they are still freshman and probably need 10-20 pounds added on, need to get a little stronger and have to acclimate to a faster game.

if jimbo stays and the class doesnā€™t hit the portal it wouldnā€™t surprise me if suddenly the team is just great and everyone acts like jimbo changed a million things to turn it around

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
To be clear, the folks who dinged UGA on recruiting were mostly UGA fans who complained about their inability to win the big game and also beat Bama which often stood in their way. The feeling was that they needed another bump up in recruiting to go from winning 10 games a season to winning championships. I donā€™t have the detailed stats, but the general feeling was their primary weaknesses were in OL/DL. Bear in mind weā€™re talking about going from 4 stars to five stars.

I was only able to go back to 2010 when I looked at 247 composite rankings history, but Richtā€™s classes were 11, 7, 9, 12, 8, and 6. No top 5ā€™s. Smartā€™s have been ranked 6, 3, 1, 2, 1, 4, and 3. Thatā€™s a significant improvement considering the rarified air that they already were in.

Iā€™m not arguing that Smart isnā€™t a better game-day coach than Richt, but considering he has measurably improved recruiting and also gotten an even greater commitment from the school in terms of staff salaries, etc., he has done more with more. Most years his O-lines and D-lines have generally been regarded as top five or even top 1-3.

All this just circles back to the original point I was responding to, which was that having the appropriate recruiting focus on positions of need was more important than simply looking at class rank.

Agreed that Kirby improved recruiting, but Richt was a good recruiter that kept pace with all the prior coaches and even improved on them. The difference between ranked 5th and 10th is maybe one less 4-star player (3 star instead). Kirby is a Saban-esque god, so comparing Richt to Kirby is a bit heavy-handed.

Again, no one I know complained about recruiting under Richt. What they complained about was running the ball when they should be passing, passing when they should be running, trick plays when they should be bulldozing, bubble screens for lost yardage, playing prevent defense when blitzing has owned the opposing team all game, etc. Richt had no feel for game flow or exploiting teams weanesses.

Now, if Richt were to be hired after Kirby and had those recruiting classes, then yeah, they would THEN complain about recruiting (the next UGA coach will have that issue no matter how well they recruit).

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Agreed that Kirby improved recruiting, but Richt was a good recruiter that kept pace with all the prior coaches and even improved on them. The difference between ranked 5th and 10th is maybe one less 4-star player (3 star instead). Kirby is a Saban-esque god, so comparing Richt to Kirby is a bit heavy-handed.

Again, no one I know complained about recruiting under Richt. What they complained about was running the ball when they should be passing, passing when they should be running, trick plays when they should be bulldozing, bubble screens for lost yardage, playing prevent defense when blitzing has owned the opposing team all game, etc. Richt had no feel for game flow or exploiting teams weanesses.

Now, if Richt were to be hired after Kirby and had those recruiting classes, then yeah, they would THEN complain about recruiting (the next UGA coach will have that issue no matter how well they recruit).
I think most of this entire comment is just a bunch of hooplah.

Kirby is a good coach, his teams play with discipline and rarely make boneheaded mistakes. But the reason UGA went from being a pretender to a powerhouse has almost nothing to do with his coaching abilities, and everything to do with UGAā€™s spending on football skyrocketing. If Richt had been given the resources Kirby has, he wouldā€™ve played for and won Nattys too.

UGA was tired of not getting the job done, so they pulled all the stops and committed fully to becoming the best college football program in the country. Seems like itā€™s working out well for them. At this point, as long as college football exists in its current state, UGA will continue to be the best program in the country. There are only 2 schools in the country who I think maybe, maybe, can get to their level. Thatā€™s USC and Texas, and neither one of them are close to that right now. But thereā€™s enough money and talent in both of those places that if they ever get it figured out again, they could be dangerous.

Ironically as UGAā€™s football spending was skyrocketing, Techā€™s was shrinking. Thatā€™s how we ended up where we are today. With UGA at the top of the pyramid, and Tech buried in the tomb beneath it.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Since this thread is about recruiting impact and your posts minimized it as a difference-maker in UGAā€™s recent improvement, I feel itā€™s worthwhile to look deeper since we have actual data to support the discussion.

Previous posters have given us the Rivals average recruiting rankings for Richt. I computed this for Smart as well and compared his 7-year tenure with Richtā€™s most recent 7-years (which is most relevant since that includes the period when I saw the complaints over his recruiting).

Richt Ave Rank: 9 (source is wrmathis post above)

Smart Ave Rank: 3.3

Since your comments also minimized the difference in the count of highly ranked players between a five and ten ranking, I compared that as well, again using Rivals.

SmartSmartRichtRicht
5*4*5*4*
Ave4.013.91.111.4

Overall, Smart has averaged nearly 3 additional 5-stars per year and 2.5 additional 4-stars. In the context of Richtā€™s baseline of 1.1 5-stars per year, that is a very significant improvement in elite players on the team.

Again, not arguing who is the best game-day coach. As others have said, UGAā€™s improvement has as much to do with the overall commitment level of the school as anything else. But my point here is that Smart's recruiting improvement is a significant component and the raw data supports that. My other original point was that recruiting at positions of most need, such as OL/DL, is an equally important aspect of recruiting.