How good are we?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I know you played but I wish we would give our FRESHMAN kicker a break. He was hurt early in the season with a groin injury and did not play. He has some great mechanics. He is going to be very good. Just needs to gain strength. I think out trainers will resolve that this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are expectations that come with a scholarship player Freshman or not. With a kicker, there should be some comfort and trust that he’ll make a kick from 47 yds and closer at least 85-90% of the time. Hope this do get resolved, but i wouldn’t be surprise if we signed another kicker

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are expectations that come with a scholarship player Freshman or not. With a kicker, there should be some comfort and trust that he’ll make a kick from 47 yds and closer at least 85-90% of the time. Hope this do get resolved, but i wouldn’t be surprise if we signed another kicker

For those who might say that you don't waste a scholarship on kickers, this season is "exhibit A" why that assumption is not true. For 2 reasons - poor kicking can cost you games, and they can get injured. Even forgetting the misses, how valuable would kicking the ball deep enough to produce a touchback be to this team?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have he worst special teams we’ve ever had...and I honestly don’t think that is an understatement. It could easily be the one thing that is keeping us from a 7-2 or 8-1 record.

The defense is pretty damn good and the offense is good enough with explosive play capability.

The special teams are enough to say we are average, unfortunately.

I was going to argue that 2010 (the Air Force year) was as bad. But we were 61st that year. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feist2010

It's hard to go lower than the 124th we are right now.

We are our record for the WHOLE team.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow

If I'm not mistaken, scholarships are technically on a year-to-year basis, correct? I was under the impression that factory schools like Alabama will use this rule to their advantage and "cut" under-performing players in the middle of their career. It was also my understanding that we honor our players scholarships for the entire four years. However, perhaps CPJ would make an exception for kickers?

If CPJ is up front about it and the kicker isn't suffering the opportunity cost of forgoing a scholarship at another school (I don't believe King had other scholarship offers), then I don't see an issue with giving a kicker a scholarship for his first year and then renewing it only if he proves himself. One scholarship year is better than none.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If I'm not mistaken, scholarships are technically on a year-to-year basis, correct? I was under the impression that factory schools like Alabama will use this rule to their advantage and "cut" under-performing players in the middle of their career. It was also my understanding that we honor our players scholarships for the entire four years. However, perhaps CPJ would make an exception for kickers?

If CPJ is up front about it and the kicker isn't suffering the opportunity cost of forgoing a scholarship at another school (I don't believe King had other scholarship offers), then I don't see an issue with giving a kicker a scholarship for his first year and then renewing it only if he proves himself. One scholarship year is better than none.

CPJ has been pretty adamant that the football program commits to the kids as much as the kids commit to the program. The P5 changed the rule to allow 4 year scholarships a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if GT or any of the other P5 schools are awarding that way or not. I don't believe GT Athletics will try to push out any player as long as they are trying hard at sports and school.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Do you answer the phone for his agent?

No, I was just responding to what RamblinWreck92 and JacketfromUGA said, assuming they were both accurate. I have no idea what really happened, nor did I mean to imply that I did.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I think everyone is forgetting he's playing through a groin injury, which is crippling to a kicker.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No, I was just responding to what RamblinWreck92 and JacketfromUGA said, assuming they were both accurate. I have no idea what really happened, nor did I mean to imply that I did.

It was widely rumored that CPJ was offered the Auburn job for a heck of a lot more money than he makes even currently at GT. He has said that he was offered a factory program job around then. He turned it down because he had promised his family that if they moved to Atlanta that they would stay until his daughter graduated high school. I took that to mean that the women in his life didn't want to uproot just to uproot again.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
According to ESPNs team efficiency rankings, GT is ranked 25th in Offensive efficiency, tied for 24th in Defensive efficiency, and is 122nd in ST efficiency.

This pretty much validates what a good many of have been saying this season. The O is good, but inconsistent, the D is vastly improved, and becoming a strength for our team, and the ST is a dumpster fire.

Overall, the efficiency rankings have GT 24th, which is about where Sagarin has us ranked. I would imagine football outsiders will have us near or in the top 30 as well when the stats are released for this week.

Also, ESPNs Football Power Index has us ranked 23rd. I don't think we're nearly as average as our record would indicate, which is why this season is so frustrating.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I believe if we had Butker one more year we win the UT and Miami game.
I would like a rematch with Clemson on a dry field.
At two losses and beating Miami and VT we would probably be ranked 15-20 ...

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Imagine how confusing this question would be if we had beaten Miami... Two losses to mediocre/bad Tennessee & Virginia coupled with two upset wins over ranked Miami & Virginia Tech.

That's Georgia Tech football for ya.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Reading all of this thread, one thing is for sure. Our alumni/fans have different takes on the program and this year's performance.

That is a good thing, as long as we don't attack each other for having differing opinions.

I think PJ is a great coach for GT, although he really needs to fix ST. I don't think there is a coach out there that could recruit to a more pro-style offense and give us a better chance of success.

I believe if you polled opposing coaches, all of them (whether they like him or not) would say that PJ is a very good coach, & they hate preparing for what we do. That always gives us an advantage we need, especially when our talent level/depth is almost never greater when we face P5 opponents.

This year has been extremely frustrating, because we have lost 3 games by a total of 6 points, and everyone of us know these were games we coulda/shoulda won. With that said, we could have lost Saturday, but our team figured out a way to secure a win, and along with the UGAG loss, I am going to enjoy this week.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched a replay of most of the game and one player really stood out - Brant Mitchell. He was in on almost every defensive play. He really has developed a good instinct for the flow of the game which is so critical to his position. He also seems significantly quicker than last year but that may just be he knows where he needs to be heading sooner.