How good are we?

Stinger21

Jolly Good Fellow
As I watch the second half of the college football season play out, I can't help to debate myself about how good we actually are. I'm watching this Miami game and I'm thinking, these guys are #7 in the country and are currently boat racing the #3 team in the country. And then I can't help but think, man we had these guys beat at their place. And then we beat VT today who happens to have the #1 defense in the conference. What gives? How good are we really? Are these games fluke games or what?

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we've played up and down to every team we've played. I think we can play with almost anyone in the country, but our biggest issue is depth. We arn't as deep across the board as a lot of top teams so late in games our players start missing tackles, not making blocks, ect.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We struggled alot with learning how to win. It about showed up again today. But maybe we are learning a bit now.

We deserve our record. Sp teams has been abysmal. O and d have had too many bad moments in critical winning times.

Our talent. Our play. Or a little luck our way says we should be 7-2 some may say 8-1. But. We are who we are.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
As I watch the second half of the college football season play out, I can't help to debate myself about how good we actually are. I'm watching this Miami game and I'm thinking, these guys are #7 in the country and are currently boat racing the #3 team in the country. And then I can't help but think, man we had these guys beat at their place. And then we beat VT today who happens to have the #1 defense in the conference. What gives? How good are we really? Are these games fluke games or what?
I’d say about 5-4. Good teams find ways to win. Hopefully this experience will be beneficial down the road.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We make way too mistakes to be a good team. We beat ourselves against UT. I think Miami and Clemson were simply better than us. Virginia we simply stunk.....no excuse for such a poor game.

Our weaknesses, discussed at length last week...really did not change today. We have talent...some very good players. But our special teams are horrid. And our offense is one dimensional. We run our offense against 8 or 9 guys in the box and as long as we cannot make opponents respect the pass, at least a little, that will be impossible against good defenses.

We are exactly what out record says we are.

If we could play clean, error-free football, we’d have a lot better record.

We make way too mistakes to be a good team. We beat ourselves against UT. I think Miami and Clemson were simply better than us. Virginia we simply stunk.....no excuse for such a poor game.

Our weaknesses, discussed at length last week...really did not change today. We have talent...some very good players. But our special teams are horrid. And our offense is one dimensional. We run our offense against 8 or 9 guys in the box and as long as we cannot make opponents respect the pass, at least a little, that will be impossible against good defenses.

We are exactly what out record says we are.

If we could play clean, error-free football, we’d have a lot better record.
I don't think Miami was better than us. They beat us because of horrendous field conditions, a defensive lapse at the end, and a miracle catch.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Miami played on the same field we did. Made a couple clutch plays down the stretch to get the W and deserved it.

We are a good kicker away from 7-2, a great kicker away from 8-1.

Same would be true if we shot ourselves in the foot a bit less in all 3 phases. If we don't recover that fumble on the kickoff...we almost certainly lose today. Then everyone would be gnashing their teeth, pulling their hair out, screaming to fire coaches, and whining about how tough life is.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Mediocre. Pretty good defense with enough big play potential on offense to get enough to be competitive and sometimes win. Bad special teams. I know people will point to the close losses and say we should have won those games as signs that we are much better than our record, but the truth is that if we were a really good team we wouldn't have lost to UT or UVA. By one play or a hundred. If we were as good as some people try to paint us as we'd have put away the bad teams early. Some will point to UVA being a bowl team, but they're also a team that lost by 17, 17, 31, and 17 to BC, Pitt, UL, and Indiana. They aren't very good.

We'd be a very good team if we had a more consistent offense or an above average special teams, but we don't.