How good are we?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I ever so respectfully disagree, I have seen enough turnover in personnel to never assume that the "dropoff" will be negligible. So many of us thought that we could easily replace guys like Laskey and Days, and we found out that we were wrong. The first stringers are starting because of a reason and experience means so much in this game. Look at BJS vs. BM. BJS has got everything you want in a player...except experience. Notice how much of a difference BM makes when he plays?

The TL;DR version - never be quick to discount playing experience. It takes time for all but the very elite (CJ for instance) to come in and be an instant upgrade from his predecessor. You may get it at RB and WR but at very few other positions.

Where did I say negligible? My point was the players we expect to start next year are talented and are getting playing time this year. They have acquitted themselves well in limited playing time (Kerr, Johnson, BJS, Simmons, Campbell, TD, Henderson) so it's not like Tech is going from seniors to true freshmen next year. Will there be a fall off? Maybe, probably but I don't think is will be huge.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
In the middle of the road conference.
Actually, I haven't looked at places like Sagarin, but no conference seems to stand out this year to me. Every conference champion will be flawed. The ACC has two power teams right now in the Top 4...not the SEC.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Give Bobby Ross a good quarterback, a good all around running back, a pair of go get it receivers and a multi dimensional tight end and a sound offensive line and he was the best. Kicking and special teams were very good and the defense was outstanding. Of course, with Swilling and "Big Play" Willie Clay, the original "Battleship" Kevin Battle, Marco Coleman, Calvin Tiggle, and Coleman Rudolph well PJ never had that kind of talent at his disposal but Ross was very good no doubt about it.
Were you pro or anti Ross in 1987 and 1988. I got into heated arguments every game we lost when our "fans" wanted him fired. I always said "he hasn't forgotten how to coach, he has no players".Today, many of the stars of the 1990 team would not be admitted to GT. We are doing very well with CPJ and the future is bright.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I haven't looked at places like Sagarin, but no conference seems to stand out this year to me. Every conference champion will be flawed. The ACC has two power teams right now in the Top 4...not the SEC.
And we played both of those teams at their places.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
For some reason GTSWARM is like a PJ fan club. Say anything against the guy, look out they’re coming for ya. lol.
I also believe him to be a GOOD coach. Not Great.
A Great coach would not lose games that PJ has.

Really, I thought it was a GT fan club. I would say that I am a CPJ fan. I enjoy the offense and the big plays it creates. There are plenty of people on here who criticize CPJ. I don't mind him being criticized. What does irk me sometimes is empty criticism:

A guy who works at a store I go to infrequently never remembers me. He sees my GT hat or shirt and talks about how he is a GT fan, but GT has to get rid of the coach and the offense. According to him, he ran that offense in high school and it is boring, only trying to get three yards per play. When I point out that(whatever year it happens to be) that GT is in the top 5 in plays over 20-30-or 40 yards. He tells me that I am wrong, and the offense can't produce big plays.

Another (probably retired) older gentleman working as a grocery stock person told me that he won't watch GT as long as CPJ is the coach. He said that he read that CPJ said that the mutt game is just another game and nothing special, so he won't watch.

People on here say that he should play player x instead of player y, but those people don't have a clue what goes on at practice. They don't know what player y's endurance is, how much of the system he understands, or how well he fits with the other players in the system. They see one flash of a good play and believe that other players should be benched so player y can get in.

Overall on here it seems that most of the CPJ criticism is Uncle Lou type of drivel.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Were you pro or anti Ross in 1987 and 1988. I got into heated arguments every game we lost when our "fans" wanted him fired. I always said "he hasn't forgotten how to coach, he has no players".Today, many of the stars of the 1990 team would not be admitted to GT. We are doing very well with CPJ and the future is bright.

I was not keeping up with it as much then as I lived in North Carolina but I was pretty upset until my father reminded me that he was coaching Bill Curry's players and that Coach Curry left for Alabama supposedly to "have an opportunity to win a national championship" but maybe just maybe he knew how bare the cupboard would be had something to do with his leaving. Later on, Coach Ross said he was shocked at the lack of team speed with the players he inherited.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Ross got big Olinemen , which is where winning starts

Yes he did along with some really intimidating defensive players that just did not give opposing offenses much to work with. Throw a pass down the middle and likely as not Swilling would out muscle your receiver and take it away. Running into the teeth of a defense with Jerrelle Williams and Calvin Tiggle was not a good option either. If you took too long to pass chances were the quarterback would get blindsided or worse from Marco Coleman or Coleman Rudolph. Nine times out of ten, it shaped up to be a long afternoon for opposing offenses all the way around.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We are 5 and 4 good, with a chance to be 8 and 4 good but about as good a chance to be 5 and 7 or 8 good. Just no way to tell how any of these games will turn out. That's why you play them.

Go Jackets!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Good enough to whip the 17th ranked team in the country.

And I did say whip. They got 14 points on a long KOR (no excuse for it either; we had players around him) and a pick six. We earned out points and pretty much handled their D for the second straight year. I think we are three dry fields away from being 7 - 2 or 8 - 1. We were beating da U when the monsoon came.

But all this is woulda-shoulda. Now we need to larrup Puke and get out loins bound up for the Dwags. We can take them both if we play like we did last Saturday.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
We are 1 Player away from definitely being 7-2 (solid kicker) and 2-3 away definitely being 8-1 (talent depth for cover teams), but overall i have to agree with Cuse assessment.

I know you played but I wish we would give our FRESHMAN kicker a break. He was hurt early in the season with a groin injury and did not play. He has some great mechanics. He is going to be very good. Just needs to gain strength. I think out trainers will resolve that this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk