How good are we?

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, like most years ( not having enough " field ready" players) at Tech, our margin for error is very thin. Lose an OL or two, lack of quality depth in the 4th quarter, marginal players for ST, etc. It all boils down to one thing : Not recruiting enough real good players. We are forced to take our 2nd or 3rd choices in many cases. This results in too many " project" recruits, or ones that have already reached their ceiling in HS. Make no mistake, I love our Guys. They work hard on and off the field. They are great reps for the school I love. They get a chance to play top level CFB and get a prestigious meaningful, marketable degree and they make the smart choice. I salute them and their parents/ guardians. BUT, to be more than moderately successful in CFB today, top level, elite talent is vital. You need one at QB, WR, OL, DL, LB, DB, and ST, or at least 3 or 4 of those positions. I believe CPJ does as much as anyone with what he has - he just doesn't have enough.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On King.

1. He had signed with Presbyterian (I think) when we came calling. We were (again, I think) his first FBS offer, but he had been on our charts. That's why he jumped at the chance.

2. He has problems in the wet too, just like every kicker. At UVA, I don't think either kicker had KOs for a touchback.

3. He hasn't been getting the ball quite into the end zone, but he was darn close Saturday. His performance compared well with the Turkies kicker; both were putting the ball at the 2 - 3 yard line and King just missed the long FG. It's only a matter of time.

4. For all that Bulovas would have been a good addition this year. King will work out, however. He's accurate and just needs some more strength. Imho.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
On King.

1. He had signed with Presbyterian (I think) when we came calling. We were (again, I think) his first FBS offer, but he had been on our charts. That's why he jumped at the chance.

2. He has problems in the wet too, just like every kicker. At UVA, I don't think either kicker had KOs for a touchback.

3. He hasn't been getting the ball quite into the end zone, but he was darn close Saturday. His performance compared well with the Turkies kicker; both were putting the ball at the 2 - 3 yard line and King just missed the long FG. It's only a matter of time.

4. For all that Bulovas would have been a good addition this year. King will work out, however. He's accurate and just needs some more strength. Imho.
I think he will be fine he is only a freshman . He should be better next year after working out over the summer but I look for his Jr year to be where we would like to see him.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If I'm not mistaken, scholarships are technically on a year-to-year basis, correct? I was under the impression that factory schools like Alabama will use this rule to their advantage and "cut" under-performing players in the middle of their career. It was also my understanding that we honor our players scholarships for the entire four years. However, perhaps CPJ would make an exception for kickers?

If CPJ is up front about it and the kicker isn't suffering the opportunity cost of forgoing a scholarship at another school (I don't believe King had other scholarship offers), then I don't see an issue with giving a kicker a scholarship for his first year and then renewing it only if he proves himself. One scholarship year is better than none.
did he get a scholarship? Butker was an exception, I thought. Most everyone else was preferred walk-on. Too much uncertainty with a kicker's development I suppose. (Speaking of which, the KC folks are thrilled with Butker not merely for 19 straight FGs, but he is consistently through the end zone on kickoffs. No returns, and it's much easier physically for the kick team. That's horrible duty.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I watched a replay of most of the game and one player really stood out - Brant Mitchell. He was in on almost every defensive play. He really has developed a good instinct for the flow of the game which is so critical to his position. He also seems significantly quicker than last year but that may just be he knows where he needs to be heading sooner.

BJS pushing him doesn't hurt either.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
it's not like the phone's been ringing off the hook for him.

No one likes to be different. Same reason 80 percent of America lives pay check to pay check to live like their next door neighbor. Look at the SEC for example firing and running off very good coaches because they want to be bama so bad. So they try to model their program like theirs. You can never be the best copycat

Last edited:

Miami_da_U

Georgia Tech Fan
Miami - GTech score was close but the game was not really. Along with Clemson, which was pretty similar, your worst offensive performance on the season.

As far as total yards are concerned we held you to 220 rushing yards on 4.3 ypc and 1 rushing TD. For reference, you've been averaging 354.28 ypg on 5.67ypc and 3.57 TD's/game vs P5 opponent - not including us.

As a per play look, you guys rushed for 55% of your yards against us on 6 carries. The other 47 rushing attempts you guys had the entire game we held you to 2.12ypc. Even deeper, after half time our defense held you guys to 3 points and only 96 total yards, 48 of which you got on one play. That means in the 2nd half we gave up one 48 yard pass play, and the other 30 plays you ran after half time went for a whopping 1.6 yards per play

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Miami - GTech score was close but the game was not really. Along with Clemson, which was pretty similar, your worst offensive performance on the season.

As far as total yards are concerned we held you to 220 rushing yards on 4.3 ypc and 1 rushing TD. For reference, you've been averaging 354.28 ypg on 5.67ypc and 3.57 TD's/game vs P5 opponent - not including us.

As a per play look, you guys rushed for 55% of your yards against us on 6 carries. The other 47 rushing attempts you guys had the entire game we held you to 2.12ypc. Even deeper, after half time our defense held you guys to 3 points and only 96 total yards, 48 of which you got on one play. That means in the 2nd half we gave up one 48 yard pass play, and the other 30 plays you ran after half time went for a whopping 1.6 yards per play
Are you kidding me? Did you watch the game? Y'all had to kick a field goal in the final seconds in order to beat us and you needed a miracle catch to keep the drive alive. The game wasn't close, give me a break man.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Let's see if I can understand how to play stats the way you do. Miami against P5 opponents this year averaged 120ypg and 3.2ypc average rushing defense. GT offense shredded the Miami defense for 220 yards, almost double the Miami defense average, and 4.3 ypc a full yard better than the Miami defense average. Overall, GT showed the Miami d that they aren't as good as they believe they are from stats.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

THE ONLY THING THAT WASNT CLOSE IN THAT GAME IS THE CONDITION OF YOUR FIELD. the local high schools here have BETTER FIELDS.

you should be ashamed of yourself for coming here and trolling. you should hang your head in shame bud.

even given the home team field advantage you still didnt lead until the last minute of the game. And we were playing new qb to boot.

and given the 'edumication' you give your scholar athletes *sic* surely you should have had a ton of former players that do a lot of landscaping after they 'matriculate' from um... that could have gotten that field in better shape doh

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Blahblahblahblah

Ok to be fair, Miami did hand us a gift TD on that botched onside kick, and yes our offense couldn't get much going in the 2nd half. But dude it's not like Miami's offense was lighting up the scoreboard either. Heck, in the 1st half Tech had held yall to only 100 yards on 5 possessions before that out-of-nowhere [clutch] TD drive at the end of the half. Tech fans and impartial observers alike all thought the heavy rain took the momentum away from GT. (I'm not convinced). But all-in-all there's no way you can claim it wasn't a close game

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
On King.

It was Old Dominion, and they are FBS. Ugag and us had interest in him, but we offered him, they didn't. He seems to be a pretty accurate kicker on shorter kicks, but past 40 yards I'm not sure how great he is. I really don't think we'll know until next season; maybe the groin injury is still hurting him a bit.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
It was Old Dominion, and they are FBS. Ugag and us had interest in him, but we offered him, they didn't. He seems to be a pretty accurate kicker on shorter kicks, but past 40 yards I'm not sure how great he is. I really don't think we'll know until next season; maybe the groin injury is still hurting him a bit.
This. Believe me, after watching him for a couple of years at Mill Creek, he is the real deal and will be a great kicker down the line. He has more than enough leg and I think that he is still trying to get 100% healthy. In Georgia high school, the kickers kick off from the 40, so he is getting the ball about to where he would have gotten it in high school. Another year in the weight room and I imagine that we will see a lot more touchbacks next year. I wanted him over Bulovas the entire time and am glad that we got him.