How good are we?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Miami - GTech score was close but the game was not really. Along with Clemson, which was pretty similar, your worst offensive performance on the season.

As far as total yards are concerned we held you to 220 rushing yards on 4.3 ypc and 1 rushing TD. For reference, you've been averaging 354.28 ypg on 5.67ypc and 3.57 TD's/game vs P5 opponent - not including us.

As a per play look, you guys rushed for 55% of your yards against us on 6 carries. The other 47 rushing attempts you guys had the entire game we held you to 2.12ypc. Even deeper, after half time our defense held you guys to 3 points and only 96 total yards, 48 of which you got on one play. That means in the 2nd half we gave up one 48 yard pass play, and the other 30 plays you ran after half time went for a whopping 1.6 yards per play
Still upset, are you? A tip, out of genuine concern for your, ah, image: you really, really, do not want to play Clemson. You really don't.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Still upset, are you? A tip, out of genuine concern for your, ah, image: you really, really, do not want to play Clemson. You really don't.

Yeah, I'm rooting for Clemson this year too. I think they are the real deal and will totally shut down UM offense. But Clemson will have trouble scoring on UM ....... just less than UM. It will be smash mount football and fun to watch.

Back to the OP, I think our BB - Benson - is really a great player that has made us better. Without him, I don't think we beat VT. I have been so impressed with the extra yards he gets after contact. And his speed. Plus he isn't putting the ball on the ground as much. He is a bright spot for next year!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I'm rooting for Clemson this year too. I think they are the real deal and will totally shut down UM offense. But Clemson will have trouble scoring on UM ....... just less than UM. It will be smash mount football and fun to watch.

Back to the OP, I think our BB - Benson - is really a great player that has made us better. Without him, I don't think we beat VT. I have been so impressed with the extra yards he gets after contact. And his speed. Plus he isn't putting the ball on the ground as much. He is a bright spot for next year!
When he holds on to the ball, he is special in this offense. And VT were doing their best to tear it loose and didn't. What in the world would Johnson have done had the other two Bbacks stuck around, because they aren't cotton candy.

Clemson, by the way, barring further injury should have the five starters back on defense who were out against FSU. That is a very deep, and very young, football team. Kelly is not a Watson although a better runner, and has to worry Swinney. (In the first half against FSU Kelly completed 10 passes for 44 yards.) The backup and the 3-deep are both better passers than Kelly, particularly the backup. But it is that freshman thing.

I am wondering if the loser of this championship will drop out of the NC altogether, rather than facing a rematch.

Last edited:

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
How good are we? I see us as an inonsistent but talented team that lacks depth and has had to break in a new QB and BB.

BB struggled with ball security that really cost us but has gotten much better. QB is immensely talented but has had expected issues with reads.

OL and D injuries (Mitchell, Gray) really hury vs UVA.

If we can stay healthy we have the chance to close strong. Gotta keep working!

Animal02

Banned
When he holds on to the ball, he is special in this offense. And VT were doing their best to tear it loose and didn't. What in the world would Johnson have done had the other two Bbacks stuck around, because they aren't cotton candy.

Clemson, by the way, barring further injury should have the five starters back on defense who were out against FSU. That is a very deep, and very young, football team. Kelly is not a Watson although a better runner, and has to worry Swinney. (In the first half against FSU Kelly completed 10 passes for 44 yards.) The backup and the 3-deep are both better passers than Kelly, particularly the backup. But it is that freshman thing.

I am wondering if the loser of this championship will drop out of the NC altogether, rather than facing a rematch.
I think if the ACCCG is close, they may consider 2 ACC teams, but in the end, only take one. Same for the SEC as well.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think if the ACCCG is close, they may consider 2 ACC teams, but in the end, only take one. Same for the SEC as well.

There is a scenario for this, but a lot has to happen

A. Miami has to lose a VERY close game to Clemson. No way Clemson gets in with two losses with the second being ACCCG.
B. Bama, not Auburn, needs to win the SEC.
C. Wisconsin needs to lose the B1G.
D. Oklahoma needs to lose the Big XII CG to TCU/OSU

If these things occur, then Bama and Clemson advance to the CFP based on Conference Championships and current positioning. That will leave a one loss Miami team, a two loss tOSU B1G Champion, a one loss Wisconsin, a 2 loss Oklahoma, a 2 loss uga, a 2 loss ND, a 2 loss OSU/TCU Big XII Champ, and the current mess that is the Pac-12. I would think that the committee would take the 2 loss B1G winner, leaving the final slot up for grabs. There is a chance Miami could nab that slot. It's also possible that the committee would look at a 2 loss ND or a 2 loss Big XII Champ, but I think you might see them lean Miami.

If they snag the Big XII champ with two losses, and a conference game win is used as a justification, I think ND begins to look at coming into the ACC for football more seriously.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I watched a replay of most of the game and one player really stood out - Brant Mitchell. He was in on almost every defensive play. He really has developed a good instinct for the flow of the game which is so critical to his position. He also seems significantly quicker than last year but that may just be he knows where he needs to be heading sooner.

Brant has been impressive all year. The LB position is probably the one where knowing where to be is most valuable, or at least taking a step in the wrong direction the most hazardous. He was criticized based on relative difference in physical skills, but he has turned into a gamer. BJS has really improved in this regard. Vic still needs to work on things but is much better than year 1 and 2. He really stood out on film and earned PT as a true frosh, but he's a good counter-example to Brant.

Next year is going to be interesting. I am glad some of the younger players are getting more time in the secondary, although a lot of that has come due to injury. They have proven themselves pretty well so far. The DL has a lot of promise, but we do lose Keshun and Simmons to graduation, so we'll see how the outside pass rush will be next year. Overall, I'm very optimistic about the blend of depth, experience, and potential.

Animal02

Banned

A. Miami has to lose a VERY close game to Clemson. No way Clemson gets in with two losses with the second being ACCCG.

If these things occur, then Bama and Clemson advance to the CFP based on Conference Championships and current positioning. That will leave a one loss Miami team, a two loss tOSU B1G Champion, a one loss Wisconsin, a 2 loss Oklahoma, a 2 loss uga, a 2 loss ND, a 2 loss OSU/TCU Big XII Champ, and the current mess that is the Pac-12. I would think that the committee would take the 2 loss B1G winner, leaving the final slot up for grabs. There is a chance Miami could nab that slot. It's also possible that the committee would look at a 2 loss ND or a 2 loss Big XII Champ, but I think you might see them lean Miami.

If they snag the Big XII champ with two losses, and a conference game win is used as a justification, I think ND begins to look at coming into the ACC for football more seriously.
Pretty much agree.....I think if they were to take two from one conference and exclude two conferences, there would be a shake up in the system....

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Pretty much agree.....I think if they were to take two from one conference and exclude two conferences, there would be a shake up in the system....

I can also see a scenario with the SEC getting two if either Auburn/uga win out and Bama is 11-1 and excluded from the SECCG because of the Iron Bowl loss. All of the same from my post above would have to happen as well for this scenario to play out. This would get messy if you had an 11-1 Miami, an 11-1 Mama, say a 11-2 Auburn SEC rep, 12-1 Clemson, 11-2 B1G Rep tOSU, and a choice between 2 loss champions of the Big XII and Pac-12.

Too many variables right now. After we beat the dwags, at least one option will be off the table...

Animal02

Banned
I can also see a scenario with the SEC getting two if either Auburn/uga win out and Bama is 11-1 and excluded from the SECCG because of the Iron Bowl loss. All of the same from my post above would have to happen as well for this scenario to play out. This would get messy if you had an 11-1 Miami, an 11-1 Mama, say a 11-2 Auburn SEC rep, 12-1 Clemson, 11-2 B1G Rep tOSU, and a choice between 2 loss champions of the Big XII and Pac-12.

Too many variables right now. After we beat the dwags, at least one option will be off the table...
If they were to take a one loss Bama that did not play in the SECCG over a one loss Miami that lost in the ACCCG, it would likely spell the end of this version of the CFC

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

I agree with all of this but I think Notre Dame is out. Their ship sailed with that last loss to Miami. If Miami wins or is close to Clemson, they might get in. If UGA loses to either Tech or in the SEC championship game they are out. I think that based on the teams I have seen personally I am most impressed with Alabama, Clemson, and Wisconsin. But Miami is very talented and well coached they might possibly belong also but I was not terribly impressed with them watching them play Tech.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Miami - GTech score was close but the game was not really. Along with Clemson, which was pretty similar, your worst offensive performance on the season.

As far as total yards are concerned we held you to 220 rushing yards on 4.3 ypc and 1 rushing TD. For reference, you've been averaging 354.28 ypg on 5.67ypc and 3.57 TD's/game vs P5 opponent - not including us.

As a per play look, you guys rushed for 55% of your yards against us on 6 carries. The other 47 rushing attempts you guys had the entire game we held you to 2.12ypc. Even deeper, after half time our defense held you guys to 3 points and only 96 total yards, 48 of which you got on one play. That means in the 2nd half we gave up one 48 yard pass play, and the other 30 plays you ran after half time went for a whopping 1.6 yards per play

Miami is good, no doubt about it but watching us against them I did not get the sense of our team being manhandled the way it was with Clemson. Nonetheless, an ACC championship match up between Miami and Clemson would be fun to watch. Even better would be an Orange Bowl match up with UGA. That game I for one, will be all about Da U!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is a real possibility. If they pick 2 or 3 conference champs with the same losses as ND, it should open some eyes.
Notre Dame is Notre Dame as Notre Dame once was. it starts every year 8-0 and then plays a game. It is downhill for them the rest of the way because these selectors/pollsters love the sound of "Notre Dame:" It is so comforting: if they pick ND, how can they be wrong?

Didn't help my mood any when they thumped us a couple of years back, either.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Maybe so, but it is a much stronger conference they would contend with. If so the ACC should tell them all that NBC money, whatever is left, now is conference cash. But personally I never wanted to go back with the girl who already dumped me, and I had altogether too much experience in that. I tend to take that stuff very personally.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Maybe so, but it is a much stronger conference they would contend with. If so the ACC should tell them all that NBC money, whatever is left, now is conference cash. But personally I never wanted to go back with the girl who already dumped me, and I had altogether too much experience in that. I tend to take that stuff very personally.

I'm actually fine with them keeping their own tv contract, with stipulations.

Miami_da_U

Georgia Tech Fan
Let's see if I can understand how to play stats the way you do. Miami against P5 opponents this year averaged 120ypg and 3.2ypc average rushing defense. GT offense shredded the Miami defense for 220 yards, almost double the Miami defense average, and 4.3 ypc a full yard better than the Miami defense average. Overall, GT showed the Miami d that they aren't as good as they believe they are from stats.
Wrong. Not including you guys, P5 opponents average 172.8 yards rushing against us per game and 3.91ypc against us. Hell, we allowed more ypc in the game before (FSU) and after (Syracuse) you. Pure yards are meaningless when you guys are running the ball over 50 times a game but the average opponent runs the ball closer to 40 or so. From my perspective there's 2 reasons the score was so close when it shouldn't have been: 1 - That stupid *** onside kick. 2 - Our offense has been just about inept in the redzone all yr; We drove it into your guys' Redzone 5 times (would have been 6, but we scored from the 27 one time) but kicked 4 ****ing field goals on those 5 trips (the other was a TD).

And I'm not being a troll. I'm not saying it wasn't a close game in the sense that yall couldn't have won, I'm saying it wasn't a close game in the sense that yall shouldn't have been in the position to win. I mean seriously How would yall think the game went if 1. you held your opponent to 3 scoring drives, 2. only gave up 3pts after half, 3. gave up just a couple big runs but completely held the opposing offense in check, especially after halftime, 4. gave up a complete BS TD on an onside kick, and 5. made five trips in the redzone but only came up with a TD ONCE but four field goals ??

Secondly from a stats perspective our Defense is exactly as good as we think it is, as of Nov 15th:
Scoring Defense - 10th
Total Yards per Play allowed - 12th
Passing Yards per Attempt - 4th
Rushing Yards per Carry allowed - 37th
Defensive Passing Efficiency - 4th
Turnovers Created/Game - 3rd
Sacks/Game - 2nd
TFLs/Game - 2nd

And so I don't have to make other posts:
- No, Not scared one bit of Clemson. Their DL is the only thing on their team that I'd be at all concerned about.
- Only way Miami gets into CFP with a close loss to Clemson in ACCCG is if Bama wins out and B1G chaos takes place. Need Michigan to beat Wisc and tOSU. If that happens Miami gets in over B1G champ.