How good are we?

TechPreacher

Banned
From my perspective there's 2 reasons the score was so close when it shouldn't have been: 1 - That stupid *** onside kick.

Not true. If we had taken 5 minutes to score instead of the onside, Miami would not have had the ball on their last possession. The game would have ended with us up one score in a victory formation.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
If its not a monsoon in Miami game, the game is never close after halftime. Thats not including all the other bullsh!t that had to happen for us to throw game away

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Not true. If we had taken 5 minutes to score instead of the onside, Miami would not have had the ball on their last possession. The game would have ended with us up one score in a victory formation.

What about that game makes you think we would have scored then on a regular drive?

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
What about that game makes you think we would have scored then on a regular drive?

Let's see: Two long scoring drives in the 1st half before the rain... Tech's usual pattern of "gotcha" big plays after halftime ... one more long drive on our first possession of the 2nd half. Tech was clearly moving the ball well on Miami before the rain destroyed the field.

Credit to Miami for putting together a clutch score at the end of the 1st half or they'd half been in a real hole.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Wrong. Not including you guys, P5 opponents average 172.8 yards rushing against us per game and 3.91ypc against us. Hell, we allowed more ypc in the game before (FSU) and after (Syracuse) you. Pure yards are meaningless when you guys are running the ball over 50 times a game but the average opponent runs the ball closer to 40 or so. From my perspective there's 2 reasons the score was so close when it shouldn't have been: 1 - That stupid *** onside kick. 2 - Our offense has been just about inept in the redzone all yr; We drove it into your guys' Redzone 5 times (would have been 6, but we scored from the 27 one time) but kicked 4 ****ing field goals on those 5 trips (the other was a TD).

And I'm not being a troll. I'm not saying it wasn't a close game in the sense that yall couldn't have won, I'm saying it wasn't a close game in the sense that yall shouldn't have been in the position to win. I mean seriously How would yall think the game went if 1. you held your opponent to 3 scoring drives, 2. only gave up 3pts after half, 3. gave up just a couple big runs but completely held the opposing offense in check, especially after halftime, 4. gave up a complete BS TD on an onside kick, and 5. made five trips in the redzone but only came up with a TD ONCE but four field goals ??

Secondly from a stats perspective our Defense is exactly as good as we think it is, as of Nov 15th:
Scoring Defense - 10th
Total Yards per Play allowed - 12th
Passing Yards per Attempt - 4th
Rushing Yards per Carry allowed - 37th
Defensive Passing Efficiency - 4th
Turnovers Created/Game - 3rd
Sacks/Game - 2nd
TFLs/Game - 2nd

And so I don't have to make other posts:
- No, Not scared one bit of Clemson. Their DL is the only thing on their team that I'd be at all concerned about.
- Only way Miami gets into CFP with a close loss to Clemson in ACCCG is if Bama wins out and B1G chaos takes place. Need Michigan to beat Wisc and tOSU. If that happens Miami gets in over B1G champ.

Very impressive stats. Too bad it will be meaningless when you play Clemson.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's see: Two long scoring drives in the 1st half before the rain... Tech's usual pattern of "gotcha" big plays after halftime ... one more long drive on our first possession of the 2nd half. Tech was clearly moving the ball well on Miami before the rain destroyed the field.

Credit to Miami for putting together a clutch score at the end of the 1st half or they'd half been in a real hole.

And, never forget that the rain let up on their last drive.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Wrong. Not including you guys, P5 opponents average 172.8 yards rushing against us per game and 3.91ypc against us. Hell, we allowed more ypc in the game before (FSU) and after (Syracuse) you. Pure yards are meaningless when you guys are running the ball over 50 times a game but the average opponent runs the ball closer to 40 or so. From my perspective there's 2 reasons the score was so close when it shouldn't have been: 1 - That stupid *** onside kick. 2 - Our offense has been just about inept in the redzone all yr; We drove it into your guys' Redzone 5 times (would have been 6, but we scored from the 27 one time) but kicked 4 ****ing field goals on those 5 trips (the other was a TD).

And I'm not being a troll. I'm not saying it wasn't a close game in the sense that yall couldn't have won, I'm saying it wasn't a close game in the sense that yall shouldn't have been in the position to win. I mean seriously How would yall think the game went if 1. you held your opponent to 3 scoring drives, 2. only gave up 3pts after half, 3. gave up just a couple big runs but completely held the opposing offense in check, especially after halftime, 4. gave up a complete BS TD on an onside kick, and 5. made five trips in the redzone but only came up with a TD ONCE but four field goals ??

Secondly from a stats perspective our Defense is exactly as good as we think it is, as of Nov 15th:
Scoring Defense - 10th
Sacks/Game - 2nd
TFLs/Game - 2nd

- No, Not scared one bit of Clemson. Their DL is the only thing on their team that I'd be at all concerned about.
- Only way Miami gets into CFP with a close loss to Clemson in ACCCG is if Bama wins out and B1G chaos takes place. Need Michigan to beat Wisc and tOSU. If that happens Miami gets in over B1G champ.
I would be really concerned with their defensive backfield when the three injured players are back. They are targeting the SC game before the ACC championship. And you hardly have the best QB in the conference. That defense is way more than the defensive line. Which is not to say it is not outstanding.

And I know GT doesn't have the best defense in the conference, but let's face it: it shut you guys down, by your own retelling. So yeah, be very concerned about Clemson.

The rest of your calculations I have no clue about. I am going to wake up one morning and read which teams are in the NC hunt. I think Alabama and Clemson will be two of them. (And should Clemson lose and a two-loss team get in, it won't be Auburn since Clemson beat them earlier. I don't want Georgia or ND back in the chase. ND shouldn't have been in the first place. But then I have this thing about ND.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We can say the same thing. You guys shouldn't have been in a position to win that game against us.

To assume the same about us is just silly, considering the facts.

Hey, we lost and they won. Flush it with all the ThugU fans and move on. Beat Fluke this weekend and it'll set up a bowl. Probably a mid-level one if we lose to UGAg or a good one if we beat UGAg.

I will be rooting for Clemson to beat the piss out of UM; we've played both. Clemson is elite while UM is only good and lucky so far.

Miami_da_U

Georgia Tech Fan
I would be really concerned with their defensive backfield when the three injured players are back. They are targeting the SC game before the ACC championship. And you hardly have the best QB in the conference. That defense is way more than the defensive line. Which is not to say it is not outstanding.

And I know GT doesn't have the best defense in the conference, but let's face it: it shut you guys down, by your own retelling. So yeah, be very concerned about Clemson.

The rest of your calculations I have no clue about. I am going to wake up one morning and read which teams are in the NC hunt. I think Alabama and Clemson will be two of them. (And should Clemson lose and a two-loss team get in, it won't be Auburn since Clemson beat them earlier. I don't want Georgia or ND back in the chase. ND shouldn't have been in the first place. But then I have this thing about ND.
Comparing Miami's Defensive stats to Clemsons:

Scoring Defense: Miami - 10th ... Clemson - 7th
Total Yards per Play allowed: Miami - 12th ... Clemson - 5th
Passing Yards per Attempt: Miami - 4th ... Clemson - 12th
Rushing Yards per Carry allowed: Miami - 37th ... Clemson - 7th
Defensive Passing Efficiency: Miami - 4th ... Clemson - 20th
Turnovers Created/Game: Miami - 3rd ... Clemson - Like 80th
Sacks/Game: Miami - 2nd ... Clemson - 1st
TFLs/Game: Miami - 2nd ... Clemson - 6th
3rd Down Conversion D: Miami - 58th ... Clemson - 8th

It should really be a good defensive battle. Clemson has had a consistently great defense, while Miami has had a little fluctuation here and there. Seems like we will give up more big plays, but we'll also creat more big plays. I'm excited to see what our offense can do against them. Without Mark Walton, who coming into the season was probably our best player on the team, and Ahmmon Richards is our most talented WR but has basically been playing at 50% or less or not even playing Our O has barely missed a beat, especially these past 2 weeks. And I think the main reason why is Rosier has been running a lot of designed run plays. Its really opened up the offense.

Vs Yall, we were straight up inept in the Redzone. Vs Clemson we can Not do that. We've actually drove the ball down the field pretty well vs most teams. But in the redzone we've just been really bad, and vs a team thats really good you can not waste those opportunities. Also for most of the early season games Rosier was basically complete dog **** in the first half of games, then would start playing good in the 2nd half. Vs Clemson he's not going to be able to play like crap if we are gunna win. Seeing these two defenses playing should be really fun though.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Scoring Defense - 10th
Sacks/Game - 2nd
TFLs/Game - 2nd

You have some good points, but I do think you are ignoring the rain effect on our team. In other years I would ignore it as well, but when rain falls this years team becomes Chicken Little for some as of yet indeterminable reason. However, we know how you feel; go look at the stats from our game with UT.

While you're here? Are any of yall's Juniors expected to leave early for the draft? I ask because it seems that both Tech and Miami return a lot of players next year. Hope it will be a fun one in Atlanta.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Comparing Miami's Defensive stats to Clemsons:

Scoring Defense: Miami - 10th ... Clemson - 7th
Total Yards per Play allowed: Miami - 12th ... Clemson - 5th
Passing Yards per Attempt: Miami - 4th ... Clemson - 12th
Rushing Yards per Carry allowed: Miami - 37th ... Clemson - 7th
Defensive Passing Efficiency: Miami - 4th ... Clemson - 20th
Turnovers Created/Game: Miami - 3rd ... Clemson - Like 80th
Sacks/Game: Miami - 2nd ... Clemson - 1st
TFLs/Game: Miami - 2nd ... Clemson - 6th
3rd Down Conversion D: Miami - 58th ... Clemson - 8th

It should really be a good defensive battle. Clemson has had a consistently great defense, while Miami has had a little fluctuation here and there. Seems like we will give up more big plays, but we'll also creat more big plays. I'm excited to see what our offense can do against them. Without Mark Walton, who coming into the season was probably our best player on the team, and Ahmmon Richards is our most talented WR but has basically been playing at 50% or less or not even playing Our O has barely missed a beat, especially these past 2 weeks. And I think the main reason why is Rosier has been running a lot of designed run plays. Its really opened up the offense.

Vs Yall, we were straight up inept in the Redzone. Vs Clemson we can Not do that. We've actually drove the ball down the field pretty well vs most teams. But in the redzone we've just been really bad, and vs a team thats really good you can not waste those opportunities. Also for most of the early season games Rosier was basically complete dog **** in the first half of games, then would start playing good in the 2nd half. Vs Clemson he's not going to be able to play like crap if we are gunna win. Seeing these two defenses playing should be really fun though.
Interesting numbers and a lot of work involved. It should be a great game, but it can bust open any time. And you have a disadvantage on the sideline. I am not a Richt basher and when Georgia made him available to Miami I knew it was not good for GT because it is conference and division title possibilities vs. state rivalry. I think the man can coach and his work with Miami validates that. That being said, at some point in big games Richt will be Richt and make inexplicable decision(s). Dunno why, he just does. My guess is he will in December.

Miami_da_U

Georgia Tech Fan
You have some good points, but I do think you are ignoring the rain effect on our team. In other years I would ignore it as well, but when rain falls this years team becomes Chicken Little for some as of yet indeterminable reason. However, we know how you feel; go look at the stats from our game with UT.

While you're here? Are any of yall's Juniors expected to leave early for the draft? I ask because it seems that both Tech and Miami return a lot of players next year. Hope it will be a fun one in Atlanta.
I view the rain same as I do the heat; Its a part of our home field advantage. Other teams can use it as an excuse all they want, I don't really care. We know how to play in the South Florida humidity and downpours. Its nothing different than us going to Pitt Next saturday and it potentially snowing. Gotta play through it.

Honestly, we're a really young team (only 9 total Seniors! - thanks Al Golden you fat f***), and I only see about 3 guys leaving early: Mark Walton, RJ McIntosh, and Kendrick Norton. I really think Walton should leave early since he's a RB. And he wouldn't be a big loss since Travis Homer has played well since Walton went down for the season (I think his first start was vs yall), AND we have 2 RBs coming in this class one of which is a 5* recruit and a total beast (Lorenzo Lingard). RJ McIntosh and Kendrick Norton on the other hand I really really hope stay since they are our starting DTs. We actually only have 3 seniors on our entire 2 deep on defense (two De's and one CB), so we're a young team, and DL is by far our deepest position so I think we'll be okay with them going. But still I think we have the roster to win a National Championship next yr, and losing our top DTs would not be good. Only other guy I can really see leaving is our CB Michael Jackson. He's been pretty solid and has 4 INTs so he might try to capitalize on his performance and be a mid-late round pick. I think he should leave too, and am not worried one bit about our DBs cause we are bringing in the most loaded DB class we'e ever recruited.
I'm much more worried about the fact we are losing our Starting TE who bubbled yall to death - Chris Herndon, our starting LT and LG, and Braxton Berrios who has been dominant this yr.

Miami_da_U

Georgia Tech Fan
Interesting numbers and a lot of work involved. It should be a great game, but it can bust open any time. And you have a disadvantage on the sideline. I am not a Richt basher and when Georgia made him available to Miami I knew it was not good for GT because it is conference and division title possibilities vs. state rivalry. I think the man can coach and his work with Miami validates that. That being said, at some point in big games Richt will be Richt and make inexplicable decision(s). Dunno why, he just does. My guess is he will in December.
Well my hope is we aren't relying on Richt to win it. Manny Diaz is our DC, and if we play the way we've played the last 2 games vs VTech and ND, I'm not sure it matters what Richt does. But while he's been a little inconsistent at times, especially in the redzone, he has done really well imo. I think most of the problems with our offense this season have been with Malik Rosier. But I mean Dude has started 10 games in his career and won every single one of them, and I honestly didn't even think he would win the job in the offseason. He was playing like **** in Spring ball, and had our freshman QB recruit Early Enrolled, he might not even be our starting QB today. But he had the head start and really improved during fall practice. But he has a **** load of room to improve, particularly with his release, when under pressure, and reading a defense.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well my hope is we aren't relying on Richt to win it. Manny Diaz is our DC, and if we play the way we've played the last 2 games vs VTech and ND, I'm not sure it matters what Richt does. But while he's been a little inconsistent at times, especially in the redzone, he has done really well imo. I think most of the problems with our offense this season have been with Malik Rosier. But I mean Dude has started 10 games in his career and won every single one of them, and I honestly didn't even think he would win the job in the offseason. He was playing like **** in Spring ball, and had our freshman QB recruit Early Enrolled, he might not even be our starting QB today. But he had the head start and really improved during fall practice. But he has a **** load of room to improve, particularly with his release, when under pressure, and reading a defense.
You might want to rethink this one, because what you are saying is your head coach is not allowed to head coach. For a fellow making no decisions he is remarkably active on the sideline. Next we will learn his headset isn't even plugged in. This is not exactly the Chaos Theory, but if developed it has promise. Ask opposing coaches who benefited from his decisions and turned several Georgia seasons *** over teakettle. Better yet, make one phone call. Ask Harrison Butker.