Home vs Tennessee

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I had us at 4-3 when I looked in my Walmart crystal ball preseason, Only difference is I thought we would lose to NW and beat Grambling. We are very young and it takes kids a while to learn how to play at college game speed and physicality. Plus they have to learn CJP’s amoeba D.

Patience. I still think we end OOC at 9-4

Deleted member 2897

Don’t need the tutorial thanks.

I think you do, respectfully. I mean I've been right here with you for a long time of frustration. And yes I'm putting way too much into word choice, but futile sounds like hopeless. Keep your head up, we will get there. Remember right now on the court is Lammers and a little Jackson - pretty much everyone else hasn't been in Pastner's system and/or hasn't played before. Even when we get Okogie back, we'll still be young. We will get there.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You put the way Alvarado plays with Okogie, Lammers and Jax and I think we are a tournament team. Which shouldnt be taken for granted. Ive been a fan since 95-96 and I have seen 6 NCAA tournaments. Thats it.

Then it happens. Injuries, suspensions, sanctions coming, our best recruiter has been missing for what? Three games now? For "minor" infractions. We lose to the 338th ranked team in KenPom......at home. Its like we exist and play in a different dimension. Just can’t have nice things.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Then it happens. Injuries, suspensions, sanctions coming, our best recruiter has been missing for what? Three games now? For "minor" infractions. We lose to the 338th ranked team in KenPom......at home. Its like we exist and play in a different dimension. Just can’t have nice things.

Sounds exactly like our football program as well.

Well, GT teaches you to endure through hardships while you are in school there, to survive and "get out" with a degree.

GT Athletics is merely a form of Continuing Education, I guess.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm still sticking with my prediction: CGB is this year's Okogie. You can tell he's growing more and more comfortable with each game, and his shot is beginning to fall. As I said in another game thread, he needs to be a little more selfish because he does display the ability to create his own shot when he wants to. He affects the game in so many ways...just look at his stat sheet for this game. I'll take that kind of performance all year, and he did it against a good P5 team. Really, I thought he could have done more is he was more assertive, but a 12-8-6 night is pretty dang good for any player regardless of how old they are.

Alvarado is going to be MILES better by the end of the year (and he's already a good player now), but dude, come on with giving defenders easy blocks on you. I counted FIVE blocked layups. Learn a tear drop layup, and learn to use your body between the defender and basket (see how Tad "spreads" out on layups to keep defenders away from his shooting hand). That being said, dude had the quietest 14 pts I've seen this year. I thought he looked a bit overmatched in certain instances against bigger more athletic guards, but he's getting ish done on the DL. Keep saying it, but he's going to be really good once he gets his feet beneath him and things aren't going a million miles an hour since he a true freshmen.

I have no problems with Lammers missing those hook shots. That's the one thing I pointed out in the offseason I wished Lammers would develop more of. Now he's doing it. Those will eventually fall. LOVED seeing him make those 3's. Watch the court open up for our cuts and drives off Lammers.

Alston, plays hard, but it appears the competition is starting to catch up with him. Played 15 minutes but really didn't leave a mark.

Tad. What can you say that's hasn't already been said? Will look like our best player one possession, and next possession will make a lazy pass that gets easily intercepted. Just have to accept who he is and hope for the best sometimes.

AG: Here's my prediction for him this year. He's going to start pulling 8+ rebounds every game for us at some point. He's in on every rebound, and eventually he'll start getting them. I didn't think he was quick enough to consistently play the 4, but I was wrong. Rebounding is a skill, and he's just a half a tick late every time in his reaction. Once he starts understanding how to read the shooter and understanding positioning and angles, he's going to be a very good rebounder for us.

That was a game we could have won. We had to play 3 true freshmen, who all acquitted themselves well, but at the end of the day it's hard to beat a more experienced team like UT when you're depending on so many true freshmen and your best scorer is in a cast. The positive side is we're getting to see Alvarado, CGB, and Wright grow up quickly, and we're watching AG develop, and that's important before we hit the ACC meat grinder.

Deleted member 2897

I'm still sticking with my prediction: CGB is this year's Okogie. You can tell he's growing more and more comfortable with each game, and his shot is beginning to fall. As I said in another game thread, he needs to be a little more selfish because he does display the ability to create his own shot when he wants to. He affects the game in so many ways...just look at his stat sheet for this game. I'll take that kind of performance all year, and he did it against a good P5 team. Really, I thought he could have done more is he was more assertive, but a 12-8-6 night is pretty dang good for any player regardless of how old they are.

Alvarado is going to be MILES better by the end of the year (and he's already a good player now), but dude, come on with giving defenders easy blocks on you. I counted FIVE blocked layups. Learn a tear drop layup, and learn to use your body between the defender and basket (see how Tad "spreads" out on layups to keep defenders away from his shooting hand). That being said, dude had the quietest 14 pts I've seen this year. I thought he looked a bit overmatched in certain instances against bigger more athletic guards, but he's getting ish done on the DL. Keep saying it, but he's going to be really good once he gets his feet beneath him and things aren't going a million miles an hour since he a true freshmen.

I have no problems with Lammers missing those hook shots. That's the one thing I pointed out in the offseason I wished Lammers would develop more of. Now he's doing it. Those will eventually fall. LOVED seeing him make those 3's. Watch the court open up for our cuts and drives off Lammers.

Alston, plays hard, but it appears the competition is starting to catch up with him. Played 15 minutes but really didn't leave a mark.

Tad. What can you say that's hasn't already been said? Will look like our best player one possession, and next possession will make a lazy pass that gets easily intercepted. Just have to accept who he is and hope for the best sometimes.

AG: Here's my prediction for him this year. He's going to start pulling 8+ rebounds every game for us at some point. He's in on every rebound, and eventually he'll start getting them. I didn't think he was quick enough to consistently play the 4, but I was wrong. Rebounding is a skill, and he's just a half a tick late every time in his reaction. Once he starts understanding how to read the shooter and understanding positioning and angles, he's going to be a very good rebounder for us.

That was a game we could have won. We had to play 3 true freshmen, who all acquitted themselves well, but at the end of the day it's hard to beat a more experienced team like UT when you're depending on so many true freshmen and your best scorer is in a cast. The positive side is we're getting to see Alvarado, CGB, and Wright grow up quickly, and we're watching AG develop, and that's important before we hit the ACC meat grinder.

I agree violently. I mean we needed OT to beat Shorter last year. Almost everybody on the team is new to college basketball playing time. We will get better.

We're currently 70% from FT despite Tadric shooting 56% (he's 13 of 23). If he can improve there, we'll be even better. He's really the only main playing time guy not doing well at the line. Tadric is also a shocking 1 of 15 from 3 point land. If he turns his game around even just a little, we're good for another 6 points a game just from him.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We are an Okogie away from being a pretty darn good team. Problem is I think it’ll be too late by the time we get him back. Losses to NW and UT are kind of expected without Okogie. Losing to Grambling was the nail in the coffin.

The can't have nice things Peac refers to is definitely correct. The 4 year thing is still the reality but in the short term, with the unexpected success of Okogie last year, this was the year to make the tournament. Losing Lammers next year will hurt. We'll have to create a completely new identity both offensively and defensively.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Agree. Love CGBs game. That put back last night was great, and completely unexpected. Been waiting to see us work in those easy corner 3 looks we got Okogie last year but that often came from VG at the high post which he has been unable to do lately. Curt would be deadly from there.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
You put the way Alvarado plays with Okogie, Lammers and Jax and I think we are a tournament team. Which shouldnt be taken for granted. Ive been a fan since 95-96 and I have seen 6 NCAA tournaments. Thats it.

You act like Alvarado was a top 5 pg in the class when realistically he was a boarderline 4 star. Great player but let's be honest we probably have the least ammount of recruited talent in the ACC still. Tech maybe a boarderline tourney team but people undervalue what having a senior pg lead does to a team. We were 12th in the ACC in recruiting last year it takes time we need players like Alvarado Devoe to stay and get old so we can have depth that's when we become a consistent tourney team.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You act like Alvarado was a top 5 pg in the class when realistically he was a boarderline 4 star. Great player but let's be honest we probably have the least ammount of recruited talent in the ACC still. Tech maybe a boarderline tourney team but people undervalue what having a senior pg lead does to a team. We were 12th in the ACC in recruiting last year it takes time we need players like Alvarado Devoe to stay and get old so we can have depth that's when we become a consistent tourney team.

I don’t really care what the ratings and the stars say before the class arrived, I’m going by what I have seen on the court. Jose still makes freshman mistakes (the dump off on the break last night) but he rebounds the ball as well if not better than Josh Heath did but like Josh, still makes questionable decisions on post entries. His spacing needs work there, tends to bring his man to Ben which results in a double team on the post. Techster saw that against NW I think, I saw it again last night.

I’m certainly not arguing against having a senior point guard but we were a somewhat Bubble team last year and I think Jose has performed above his ranking to this point and certainly more productive than Josh was last year. You put JO and a healthy Lammers in there and we are really good. Our 5th option becomes a kid who just put up 12-8-6 last night.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
A decent performance vs a decent team but NOT a win.I read up on Tenn before game and saw a key stat.They had guys who HIT FTs well. I thought that would be a problem unless Tad got hot.The game stat sheet retold that story.They were 85% we were 67%.
Biggest concern--Without another effective big man on Off/Def we are going to struggle all season probably.Josh can't replace Lammers overall and Ben is liable to be hurt or tired A LOT due to our need for his total game..(and this season so far is at home, away games are going to be real adventure with our young guys ). oh,well--SO much better than Gregory.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Biggest difference maker was free throws. UT made theirs at about a 85% clip. We made low 70s I think. Even with UT shooting well at the line. If we could shoot 80 we win. We can't though. Thats on the players mostly.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Biggest difference maker was free throws. UT made theirs at about a 85% clip. We made low 70s I think. Even with UT shooting well at the line. If we could shoot 80 we win. We can't though. Thats on the players mostly.
So there are only 6 teams in the NCAA right now that shoot 80% or better as a team. When an opponent does that you're going to have a tough time winning, period...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So there are only 6 teams in the NCAA right now that shoot 80% or better as a team. When an opponent does that you're going to have a tough time winning, period...

I kept thinking the factor we just couldn't overcome was TN's ability to just flat out make shots.

That and rebounding early. Them dudes ate glass.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Free throw shooting is a largely forgotten fundamental in today's game sadly. More practice is probably put toward shooting 3s...even by marginal outside shooters imo.

But I wasn't referring to shooting 80 for the season, I was referring to the UT game in particular.

I do think our team as a whole, and a few players in particular, need to work much harder to improve this skill. And we'd win more games if they did.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I kept thinking the factor we just couldn't overcome was TN's ability to just flat out make shots.

That and rebounding early. Them dudes ate glass.
Agreed. #1 made some really good shots down the stretch. To your rebounding point - being at the game, TN was much bigger, stronger, and for the most part, longer than we were inside (looked like ole Butch could have used #5 - he was massive). They were going up and over our 3-5 guys like Varsity vs JV.