Home vs Tennessee

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I'm still comfortable with 8-10 I think okogie is that much of a difference maker for a team as depleted at scoring as we are

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
What a frustraing yet fun game to watch. The refs were awful per usual..welcome to college hoops.

Tenn. made every key shot when we attempted to go on a big run or take the lead. They played really solid and showed why they are getting some buzz from the media.

Ben didn't do much in the 1st half, but in the 2nd, it looked like he felt more comfortable on his ankle. Whatever it was, it worked. He showed that 3 point range the he said he was working on and had some nice fadeaways. Though, he still looked pretty immobile on rebounds and blocked shots, along with around the basket. We need him fully healed for ACC play, and badly.

Curtis Haywood continued to impress me despite a few freshman mistakes and missed shots. Man, was that Euro step pretty along with his left hand finish. He also had some really nice back door passes that lead to them fouling.

Free throws. They were the deciding factor....again. Georgia Tech shot 66% while UT shot 85%. It's simple, make free throws, you win games.

Not sure what more I can say about Jose. Baller about sums him up. One thing I do want him to work on is his shot coming off a screen. When he turns the corner he has space for a shot but often can't decide if he wants to pass or shoot. If he could develop a nice floater like Jeff Teague or pull up like Westbrook (obviously not on his level but you know what I mean) he could even more productive.

Moses Wright was solid tonight and I thought he should have gotten more run. Especially with AD struggling. I don't know how much more of him not knowing what to do with the ball, 5 feet from the basket I can take.

S/O to whoever in the courtside student section started the Ashton Hagans chant. Baller Move for a baller player.

The funniest thing from tonight was some UT fan yelled "you lost to Butch Jones" and then a tech student responded "well you hired Butch Jones." The UT fan nodded and sat back down.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’m really worried how long it takes Josh to get back into game shape. If he back for the ACC opener at ND how much will he be able to contribute? Our first 7 games are @ND, Miami, ND, @Pitt, UVA, @UNC and @ FSU. That’s a possible 1-5/2-4 start. Hopefully these freshman grow up quick, Ben gets health and JO picks up were he left off last year. We need to gut out W’s at Wofford and Uga. 7-5 going into league play will not get it done this year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What a frustraing yet fun game to watch. The refs were awful per usual..welcome to college hoops.

Tenn. made every key shot when we attempted to go on a big run or take the lead. They played really solid and showed why they are getting some buzz from the media.

Ben didn't do much in the 1st half, but in the 2nd, it looked like he felt more comfortable on his ankle. Whatever it was, it worked. He showed that 3 point range the he said he was working on and had some nice fadeaways. Though, he still looked pretty immobile on rebounds and blocked shots, along with around the basket. We need him fully healed for ACC play, and badly.

Curtis Haywood continued to impress me despite a few freshman mistakes and missed shots. Man, was that Euro step pretty along with his left hand finish. He also had some really nice back door passes that lead to them fouling.

Free throws. They were the deciding factor....again. Georgia Tech shot 66% while UT shot 85%. It's simple, make free throws, you win games.

Not sure what more I can say about Jose. Baller about sums him up. One thing I do want him to work on is his shot coming off a screen. When he turns the corner he has space for a shot but often can't decide if he wants to pass or shoot. If he could develop a nice floater like Jeff Teague or pull up like Westbrook (obviously not on his level but you know what I mean) he could even more productive.

Moses Wright was solid tonight and I thought he should have gotten more run. Especially with AD struggling. I don't know how much more of him not knowing what to do with the ball, 5 feet from the basket I can take.

S/O to whoever in the courtside student section started the Ashton Hagans chant. Baller Move for a baller player.

The funniest thing from tonight was some UT fan yelled "you lost to Butch Jones" and then a tech student responded "well you hired Butch Jones." The UT fan nodded and sat back down.

AD “struggling”

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I actually feel better after this game than the GS game.
I'm not down long term yet. My expectation is that it would take 4 yrs to get enough players in and with experience to have a solid, sustainable program. Haven't seen anything to change my mind.
Anything we get before yr 4 like last year's NIT is just gravy to me right now. i sort of came into this year expecting 14 wins with a healthy Josh, Ben and Tad and just hoped we could play better than our talent level for a second straight year. Not having Tad and Josh for stretches and a hurt Ben simply made me re-adjust my thoughts and hope mainly that the FR would get alot of play that would help in the future.

I'm really happy with our 2 FR guards. Jose had maybe his worse game so far, he has to be able to hit threes before the 2 min mark of the game. They were wide open looks because the game was basically over at that time. But even in his worst game he competed and made some plays.
Curtis had a sneaky good game despite having a couple of poor defensive possessions. Led the team with 6 assists, and frankly should have had 2-3 more. He may actually be the best passer on the team. He really sees the floor well. He also recognized that they were guarding his 3-pt shot way out and drove to the basket instead. And was second on the team in rebounding with 8. Even though he made some mistakes he is actually one of our better defenders.

Tad is tad, nothing more to say on that. He will make some plays, but you just can't count on him. He would drive me crazy if I was his coach. The missed FT just kill me, it has been that way since his FR year and he tends to be a little of a black hole on offense, sometimes that is good, sometimes not.

Unfortunately if you want to play the get old, stay old system of ND or UVA, you have to get old first and i'd argue 3 of our top 4 players are 2 FR and a SO.

I'm also not worried about Josh leaving. I think GT fans are just scarred there. i'd give that 3% odds at best. Right now he isn't even in the 2 round mocks. He's also really young (younger than Jose and Curtis) so there is no need for him to rush to the NBA due to being 'older'.

I expect a very different looking team next year. Much more perimeter oriented with Jose, Curt, Josh, Devoe and Shembari. Faster paced team. Different flow in half court sets. They recruited Moses and Evan and Sjolund to play the high post in the offense, not having the 5 play that spot.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I actually feel better after this game than the GS game.
I'm not down long term yet. My expectation is that it would take 4 yrs to get enough players in and with experience to have a solid, sustainable program. Haven't seen anything to change my mind.
Anything we get before yr 4 like last year's NIT is just gravy to me right now. i sort of came into this year expecting 14 wins with a healthy Josh, Ben and Tad and just hoped we could play better than our talent level for a second straight year. Not having Tad and Josh for stretches and a hurt Ben simply made me re-adjust my thoughts and hope mainly that the FR would get alot of play that would help in the future.

I'm really happy with our 2 FR guards. Jose had maybe his worse game so far, he has to be able to hit threes before the 2 min mark of the game. They were wide open looks because the game was basically over at that time. But even in his worst game he competed and made some plays.
Curtis had a sneaky good game despite having a couple of poor defensive possessions. Led the team with 6 assists, and frankly should have had 2-3 more. He may actually be the best passer on the team. He really sees the floor well. He also recognized that they were guarding his 3-pt shot way out and drove to the basket instead. And was second on the team in rebounding with 8. Even though he made some mistakes he is actually one of our better defenders.

Tad is tad, nothing more to say on that. He will make some plays, but you just can't count on him. He would drive me crazy if I was his coach. The missed FT just kill me, it has been that way since his FR year and he tends to be a little of a black hole on offense, sometimes that is good, sometimes not.

Unfortunately if you want to play the get old, stay old system of ND or UVA, you have to get old first and i'd argue 3 of our top 4 players are 2 FR and a SO.

I'm also not worried about Josh leaving. I think GT fans are just scarred there. i'd give that 3% odds at best. Right now he isn't even in the 2 round mocks. He's also really young (younger than Jose and Curtis) so there is no need for him to rush to the NBA due to being 'older'.

I expect a very different looking team next year. Much more perimeter oriented with Jose, Curt, Josh, Devoe and Shembari. Faster paced team. Different flow in half court sets. They recruited Moses and Evan and Sjolund to play the high post in the offense, not having the 5 play that spot.
The last paragraph is what people should be focusing on.
"#TrustTheProcess" -Joel Embiid

GTFLETCH

Banned
Man.... I am really worried.... I am hopeful we can win 20 games again, but after tonight I can see us only winning 15.... Feels like CBG again without the Grad Transfers

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I actually felt pretty good after tonight’s game. Yes, we lost, but we competed all game, fought hard, and did not have another Grambling moment.

The free throw misses are really 5he only thing bothering me long term. I want too see this team with a healthy Lammers and Okogie (January maybe). I think they’ll be pretty good then, especially with the experience the freshmen guards are getting.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Man.... I am really worried.... I am hopeful we can win 20 games again, but after tonight I can see us only winning 15.... Feels like CBG again without the Grad Transfers
Really!?! what makes you compare the 2 if you know basketball at all you would know Gregory went 21-15 with 5 contributing seniors including 4 top scorers being seniors Pastner THEN took a team the next year projected to not win an ACC game with 4 of your starters gone from that team to take them farther. He has had a rough start when the leader of the team is out anyone would! This is one of the biggest overreactions I have seen here come on guys all Pastner has done here is exceed expectations on and off the court! I mean he has the biggest recruit in over 5 years SIGNED with us guess some people can't be happy?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

So gregory without his biggest weakness? Every year under gregory felt like a desperate attempt to extend his stay one year because we were always losing everyone. There was never building to anything. Right now our starting back court will likely be two fresh and a soph. We'll have another freshman and soph being primary back ups. We're struggling now because gregory left little to work with and the future will be much better.

It's not been perfect but it's been a lot better than what it was under gregory. This feels much more like the start to hewitt's tenure than the start to gregory's.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Nowhere near Gregory level. We just got a young team. End of the game we had 3 freshman on the court. Jose, Curt, and Tadric.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
It's been said before but these last 2 games are all on free throw shooting. How are we missing 2nd shots after making the first. It's obviously tired arms but Jackson has to make his. Maybe he's actually a right hander and doesn't know it.

Turning point in the game was the bogus Lammers offensive foul call. 6point swing

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's been said before but these last 2 games are all on free throw shooting. How are we missing 2nd shots after making the first. It's obviously tired arms but Jackson has to make his. Maybe he's actually a right hander and doesn't know it.

Turning point in the game was the bogus Lammers offensive foul call. 6point swing
That 6point swing was complete bull****. We had chances to win and all that, but ****ty refs don't help at all.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
If Tech had Tadric for each game (no suspension), Lammers healthy, and Okogie healthy, and not suspended, which games would they have lost so far?

Every team has setbacks, etc., etc. My point, though, is the doom and gloom after these 2 losses is puzzling. Did anyone think that Tech, in year 2 of Pastner, was going to be a juggernaut? And even if so, wouldn't the loss to suspension, or limitation from injury, of the 3 best returners have caused a reevaluation of expectations?

I am always disappointed in losses, but I think we had enough info beforehand to save us from being completely shocked at any of these losses.

Hell, 5 of 6 returnees have missed time due to injury or suspension.