Home vs Tennessee

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of you have already made this comment, and I have tried to resist the "blame the refs" mantra, but one official last night REALLY hurt us. He made several phantom-foul calls on Tech. He called at least 4 or 5 offensive fouls on us, including the amazing charge call on a Lammers lay-in that should have been an "and one" defensive block call. The crowd roared when the whistle blew because everyone assumed it was a potential 3 point play which would have pulled us almost even. When he called the charge on Lammers, everyone roared even louder in angry disbelief. CJP went temporarily berserk and was restrained by assistants and players (the play happened right in front of our bench). Tennessee took the ball and immediately scored.

The officials did call a lot of fouls on Tennessee, because they were continuously hacking, grabbing and bumping our guys. The refs could have legitimately called 2 or 3 times more.

Tennessee played hard and made the key shots. They are a good team. With better, more balanced officiating we might still have lost. But the officiating by one guy was so bad that we were at a severe disadvantage. It is pretty telling when Jamie Luckie is the best official on the floor!

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Just another year as a GT fan.

Just to make it interesting stop playing AD with Lammers. What a killer of offense AD is each time he touches the ball.

i was not able to watch last nights game but i saw highlights of lammers shooting 3s and actually hitting the rim and MAKING them. before last night every time i saw ad shoot a 3 i thought to myself. why him and not lammers?.... if youre going to put all your rebounding outside the perimeter. sheesh.

lammers may be the best shooter we have on the team.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMO Haywood is the best shooter on the team right now. His FT and 3FG% suggest that.

I actually relate Haywood more to MGH than Okogie. Really talented kid that has a tendency to defer to older players even if he may be more talented. Very smart, very versatile, want him to be a little more aggresive.
To me the Okogie analogy goes to Jose. Both guys coming in a little underrated who play extremely hard and are willing to take charge early in their careers.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
IMO Haywood is the best shooter on the team right now. His FT and 3FG% suggest that.

I actually relate Haywood more to MGH than Okogie. Really talented kid that has a tendency to defer to older players even if he may be more talented. Very smart, very versatile, want him to be a little more aggresive.
To me the Okogie analogy goes to Jose. Both guys coming in a little underrated who play extremely hard and are willing to take charge early in their careers.

CGB certainly plays as if he doesn't know just how good he actually is or can be.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Some of you have already made this comment, and I have tried to resist the "blame the refs" mantra, but one official last night REALLY hurt us. He made several phantom-foul calls on Tech. He called at least 4 or 5 offensive fouls on us, including the amazing charge call on a Lammers lay-in that should have been an "and one" defensive block call. The crowd roared when the whistle blew because everyone assumed it was a potential 3 point play which would have pulled us almost even. When he called the charge on Lammers, everyone roared even louder in angry disbelief. CJP went temporarily berserk and was restrained by assistants and players (the play happened right in front of our bench). Tennessee took the ball and immediately scored.
And to make matters worse, the obnoxious Tennessee fan *right* behind us screamed "It was a charge!" right in our ears over and over again while everyone else was going crazy over the call. He got so bad berating Pastner we had to turn around and ask him to just cheer for his team and stop dissing our coach. He modified his behavior after that, but geez he was annoying!

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
And to make matters worse, the obnoxious Tennessee fan *right* behind us screamed "It was a charge!" right in our ears over and over again while everyone else was going crazy over the call. He got so bad berating Pastner we had to turn around and ask him to just cheer for his team and stop dissing our coach. He modified his behavior after that, but geez he was annoying!
Glad you told him to modify his behavior. I had to do that at a home football game with 3 obnoxious Duke fans in front of me while all the passive Tech fans just stared into space. They got very silent after me leaning over and counseling them lol

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
We're currently 70% from FT despite Tadric shooting 56% (he's 13 of 23). If he can improve there, we'll be even better. He's really the only main playing time guy not doing well at the line. Tadric is also a shocking 1 of 15 from 3 point land. If he turns his game around even just a little, we're good for another 6 points a game just from him.

Research Jackson's high school 3 point percentage. He wasn't a shooter then. He isn't going to become one as a college senior. That he was one of Gregory's best recruits speaks volumes about Gregory's recruiting.

Bringing him off the bench last year was the right thing to do. When everyone is healthy, it will be the right thing to do this year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Research Jackson's high school 3 point percentage. He wasn't a shooter then. He isn't going to become one as a college senior. That he was one of Gregory's best recruits speaks volumes about Gregory's recruiting.

Bringing him off the bench last year was the right thing to do. When everyone is healthy, it will be the right thing to do this year.

+100

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Jackson shot 56.7% from the FT line last year and is 56.5% this year. Right in line with his whole career. He's just not a great shooter - not even a good one.
what helps is both Alvarado and Jackson (along with Alston) are better FT shooters than anyone we had on the team last year. Josh was 75% last year so he should help as well when he returns.

I'm expecting once Josh returns and shakes off the rust that he will start with Jose and Curtis. Tad will come off the bench. i also expect to see some small ball with Josh at the 4 to help counter our weakness there.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I screamed like everyone else at the Lammers charge but overall we shot way more FTs than they did until the end of the game when we were fouling pretty much every trip downcourt.

I put this in the continued education of Jose category. He didn't have his best game and is learning how to play against the length and athleticism he is going to see at the ACC level. Not just getting his shot blocked but also not getting good looks until the end of the game. I think he was 1-10 at one point. But he still played hard/good defense and didn't turn the ball over.

The part I really hope he learned from was at the 3 minute mark when the game was still in doubt - we were close but struggling to catch up - and had 3 horrendous possessions in a row. First AD hoists a 3 from the parking lot, then Tadric with the 3 and then someone else (don't remember). It isn't all on the PG but that is when you want him to make sure we get into good sets and get good shots. Part of it is we are a young team overall and our best player right now is a quiet SR who can't control things from the 5 spot. And with Tadric being Tadric he needs to learn to step up and control things at that point.

Not down on him at all as he is the biggest bright spot to me so far. Just the kind of lessons that I hope he learns from so at the end of the year we are a much better team.