Here's a thought

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was proven. He came. Why wouldn't Chadwell want to prove his muster on the highest level against the toughest schedule?

Chadwell will get a job at a place like Lousiville or Vanderbilt. His offense will have all the same talking points as johnson if he comes here. UGA controls the broadcast narrative about us. (and it benefits all the other SEC schools that recruit atlanta which is amazing for ESPNs bottom line).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was proven. He came. Why wouldn't Chadwell want to prove his muster on the highest level against the toughest schedule?
If you haven't noticed, the GT football program is not in the same place as it was when CPJ was hired. We are not an attractive destination for many coaches ... we have a lot of challenges in curriculum, schedule, recruiting, and funding ... that many experienced coaches can avoid.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
nah brother its you living in a dream world, asking him to beat UGA this year to keep his job after securing 5 wins is just ridiculous. I know even YOU deep down don't believe this. 5 wins and he stays regardless if he beats UGA or not. You'll see, you can keep on living in candy land. Per my top source who's a huge GT donor (am i doing this right?) 5 wins with or without a UGA win, we keep CGC another year.
Well, if he only wins 5 games and they keep him I really hope the huge GT donor is willing to buy a lot more season tickets next year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well, if he only wins 5 games and they keep him I really hope the huge GT donor is willing to buy a lot more season tickets next year.
Interesting reminder. I must get 3 calls a week from my AA rep. (They got rid of the replacement and brought him back.) That does bode well for season tix sales if they are pressing this hard so close to the start.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
nah brother its you living in a dream world, asking him to beat UGA this year to keep his job after securing 5 wins is just ridiculous. I know even YOU deep down don't believe this. 5 wins and he stays regardless if he beats UGA or not. You'll see, you can keep on living in candy land. Per my top source who's a huge GT donor (am i doing this right?) 5 wins with or without a UGA win, we keep CGC another year.
Better go big this year. If not, the GTAA will be calling the one or two remaining Tech fans to find out what times they would like future home games to start…

kalld12

Banned
I was joking about donor, people here like to claim like they personally know big wig donors and quote their words as if it holds a lot of weight. I'm a season ticket holder and will continue to be whether we win 5+ or not. 5 wins with close competitive games in games we weren't suppose to win and i bet we keep him. The whole he MUST beat UGA argument is just ignorant and CGC might as well walk now if that's the stipulation our fans are backing for CGC to keep his job even if he does win 5 games as a floor.

kalld12

Banned
Better go big this year. If not, the GTAA will be calling the one or two remaining Tech fans to find out what times they would like future home games to start…
LOL...if he only wins 5 games this year there will still be plenty of fans and we will keep our coach....if you're not OK with that then sucks for you

slugboy

Staff member
Chip Long was considered a legit contender for a top HC job while running the highest production offenses under Brian Kelly at Notre Dame. Following his fall from grace, he is now affordable. (This fits with my theory that Tech can only afford coaches toward the end of their career, those who need rehabilitation (like Long) or up and comers. Proven coaches won't won't Tech and we can't afford them.) He has an excellent reputation as a disciplined coach and is pretty much the complete opposite of Geoff.

But the most important reason is ... if you are going to fire someone, make sure the replacement is already in sight. You don't want to look desperate. This was Homer Rice's advice to TStan as well.

(Note: I am always shocked that TStan did not have a slate of candidates ready to evaluate for CPJ's replacement. When I was running organizations, we had slates of 10-12 people for every position with the goal to never be surprised when someone leaves and make sure you replace them quickly.)
My (total random fan) guesses are
  • He had 3-5 people instead of 10-12. Or, a number of the people on the list weren't actually good candidates, and he needed time to recruit better candidates; so he had 3-5 good candidates, and another 5 that were "weak, but will accept".
  • He was still working on his list and got caught off guard when CPJ retired 1 year earlier than expected
  • Some of the better candidates for continuity were either air raid or flexbone, and even air raid was off the table as a scheme offense. (again, I'm guessing)
  • Whisenhunt was the first choice and set up, and both he and Stansbury were taken aback by the (un)popular outcry.
  • Other coaches like Satterfield chose other options with better funded AAs and less transition work. Also, Satterfield pulled all the scholarship offers at Louisville his first season--Stansbury may have put constraints on the transition that prospective coaches weren't willing to accept.

Louisville is widely perceived as coming open this year, or next at the latest. Nebraska is probably also coming open this season. Both have AAs flush with cash. I think he'll be at one of those.

Chadwell will get a job at a place like Lousiville or Vanderbilt. His offense will have all the same talking points as johnson if he comes here. UGA controls the broadcast narrative about us. (and it benefits all the other SEC schools that recruit atlanta which is amazing for ESPNs bottom line).

I think he'll have a better option than Vandy. There will be B1G jobs open. Vandy is hard to recruit to. The cash is good, but who wants to go years between bowl games, and for the bowl games to be awful?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
  • He had 3-5 people instead of 10-12. Or, a number of the people on the list weren't actually good candidates, and he needed time to recruit better candidates; so he had 3-5 good candidates, and another 5 that were "weak, but will accept".
  • He was still working on his list and got caught off guard when CPJ retired 1 year earlier than expected
  • Some of the better candidates for continuity were either air raid or flexbone, and even air raid was off the table as a scheme offense. (again, I'm guessing)
  • Whisenhunt was the first choice and set up, and both he and Stansbury were taken aback by the (un)popular outcry.
  • Other coaches like Satterfield chose other options with better funded AAs and less transition work. Also, Satterfield pulled all the scholarship offers at Louisville his first season--Stansbury may have put constraints on the transition that prospective coaches weren't willing to accept.

Louisville is widely perceived as coming open this year, or next at the latest. Nebraska is probably also coming open this season. Both have AAs flush with cash. I think he'll be at one of those.

I think he'll have a better option than Vandy. There will be B1G jobs open. Vandy is hard to recruit to. The cash is good, but who wants to go years between bowl games, and for the bowl games to be awful?
Stansbury most definitley thought Ken would have been the guy thats all i heard from people who typically knew. I wasn't actually that fond of it myself only because I felt that for Wisenhunt to be successful he'd have needed a set of great recruiter young OC/DC and i had a decent fear we might have seen the return of Roof at DC. I am sure Monken was on the list as Monken is a bit of an innovator but we weren't going with a johnson disciple with those boosters so stansbury listened to the loudest voices who simply went for Collins based primarily on 2007's class and him being available.

I think the pushback against an air raid was mainly due to a lack of a 50+ attempts a game passer in the QB room. Though that was a bad misconception. There are many air raid variations. One could have worked for us.

I originally didn't mind the hire of collins, until he started talking. Then I guess you can say it rubbed me the wrong way and fears turned out to be right.

On Chadwell

Vandy is in the SEC east in most years a scheme will get you to 6 wins. Especially if they make sure to schedule vandy's ooc so they get 3 free wins. They should be able to pick up wins over Missou kentucky and SCAR relatively regularly with decent coaching. Franklin was able to recruit it and win. Chadwell could as well. Basically the Cutcliffe model for bowl games he did at duke. If he does well at vandy its an easy springboard to an even bigger payday (like it was for franklin).

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Stansbury most definitley thought Ken would have been the guy thats all i heard from people who typically knew. I wasn't actually that fond of it myself only because I felt that for Wisenhunt to be successful he'd have needed a set of great recruiter young OC/DC and i had a decent fear we might have seen the return of Roof at DC. I am sure Monken was on the list as Monken is a bit of an innovator but we weren't going with a johnson disciple with those boosters so stansbury listened to the loudest voices who simply went for Collins based primarily on 2007's class and him being available.

I think the pushback against an air raid was mainly due to a lack of a 50+ attempts a game passer in the QB room. Though that was a bad misconception. There are many air raid variations. One could have worked for us.

I originally didn't mind the hire of collins, until he started talking. Then I guess you can say it rubbed me the wrong way and fears turned out to be right.

On Chadwell

Vandy is in the SEC east in most years a scheme will get you to 6 wins. Especially if they make sure to schedule vandy's ooc so they get 3 free wins. They should be able to pick up wins over Missou kentucky and SCAR relatively regularly with decent coaching. Franklin was able to recruit it and win. Chadwell could as well. Basically the Cutcliffe model for bowl games he did at duke. If he does well at vandy its an easy springboard to an even bigger payday (like it was for franklin).
Certian schools are low risk high reward like vandy, Rutgers, Duke, and a few others.

JacketFan137

Banned

i think all of your guesses are pretty plausible. i don’t think we had enough genuine interest and the issues with the roster being built for something different scared away a lot of guys this page loves to pretend we could have gotten. some people i think are stuck in the 70s-90s and pretend like the georgia tech coaching position is a lot more prestigious than it is in the 21st century college football landscape

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
i think all of your guesses are pretty plausible. i don’t think we had enough genuine interest and the issues with the roster being built for something different scared away a lot of guys this page loves to pretend we could have gotten. some people i think are stuck in the 70s-90s and pretend like the georgia tech coaching position is a lot more prestigious than it is in the 21st century college football landscape

I don't think the roster should have scared people as bad as its made out. They all would have had the transition narrative to rely on. The smart play would have been to go get fritz ran the fritzkrieg for a bit then transitioned out of that after you spent to the time to rebuild the O-line. Which is what southern was doing when they wouldn't pay him. Incremental changes with continued bowl success would have done a lot to pacify things. Then you can splash higher some cooardinators when fritz himself looks to retire in 5 years and have a chian of succession setup. Instead you ive a 7 year contract to a head coach that has only 2 years HC experience and hasn't been a full recruiting cycle anywhere in his career to build a developmental program. And now we are what they always thought we were.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Why is everyone high on Chip Long as the next head coach? 0 experience as a head coach. Why not aim high and get Chadwell from Coastal who has a record of establishing a WINNING culture?
It's never really made much sense. Right now he is a guy who got fired from ND, worked as an analyst for a team with a poor offense, and then took a job as OC for a lower tier G5 program which didn't have all that great of an offense. I doubt any other P5 program would have brought him in as an OC but some of our fans want to promote him to HC already for some reason. At least let him prove himself first. Although if he does prove himself then it seems unlikely that Collins goes anywhere.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It's never really made much sense. Right now he is a guy who got fired from ND, worked as an analyst for a team with a poor offense, and then took a job as OC for a lower tier G5 program which didn't have all that great of an offense. I doubt any other P5 program would have brought him in as an OC but some of our fans want to promote him to HC already for some reason. At least let him prove himself first. Although if he does prove himself then it seems unlikely that Collins goes anywhere.
The scenario that could make Long a strong HC candidate is one where the offense shines, the defense sputters and we fall short of 6 wins.

JacketFan137

Banned
I don't think the roster should have scared people as bad as its made out. They all would have had the transition narrative to rely on. The smart play would have been to go get fritz ran the fritzkrieg for a bit then transitioned out of that after you spent to the time to rebuild the O-line. Which is what southern was doing when they wouldn't pay him. Incremental changes with continued bowl success would have done a lot to pacify things. Then you can splash higher some cooardinators when fritz himself looks to retire in 5 years and have a chian of succession setup. Instead you ive a 7 year contract to a head coach that has only 2 years HC experience and hasn't been a full recruiting cycle anywhere in his career to build a developmental program. And now we are what they always thought we were.
i think you’re relying too much on hindsight here. we had just come off a season rotating taquon and oliver. neither was very good tbh and definitely did not have the tools to run a different system. i think the qb room alone was probably a little worrisome for any prospective coaches.

i think the 7 year contract is also something people have to get over. with the expectation to get away from the option, i don’t think tech was hiring anyone for less than 5-6-7 years. any coach with a brain was gonna ask for a little bit of a safety net based on the roster and task given. he’s also being paid so little it really takes away from the arguments and is very terrifying for the future of our program if the fanbase can’t even stomach a guy getting 3 mil annually while expecting to be competitive at this level.

i also think you are being way too generous if you think that the majority of the fanbase that wanted the option gone and the money up top that wanted it gone were gonna tolerate more years running it or anything similar. i think for better or worse they wanted a total departure as evidenced by the two coaches (collins and whisenhunt) that made it the farthest.

overall it’s getting silly seeing all these proposed hypotheticals about who and how we should have moved after johnson and the belief that each of these hypotheticals would have us in a better position. at the end of the day the only thing that could have changed anything would have been willing to spend more money than we did and hire a coach in a completely different caliber than any we went for.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
LOL...if he only wins 5 games this year there will still be plenty of fans and we will keep our coach....if you're not OK with that then sucks for you
Those was a time when Tech fans expected excellence in football. Perhaps, those days are gone,

slugboy

Staff member
Disagree. Although I think he was proven, and he was a GREAT coach in my opinion. He still had to prove it to many of the P5 naysayers. That is why he came. His other choice at the time was SMU, if IIRC.

He had Duke and I thought another NC school in addition to SMU. There was competition for his services.

We turned down Cutcliffe that year, and he went to Duke with a grudge.

2008 was a notable year for coaching hires

JacketFan137

Banned
Those was a time when Tech fans expected excellence in football. Perhaps, those days are gone,
when exactly was that because that has not been the case any time in the last 20 years. 2008-2009 is the only time we’ve been ranked two consecutive years come end of season. not like we have some excellent pedigree. our last 2 coaches averaged 7 wins a season.

tech fans expectations are above 3 wins obviously but let’s not pretend like we have ever been great long term

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
when exactly was that because that has not been the case any time in the last 20 years. 2008-2009 is the only time we’ve been ranked two consecutive years come end of season. not like we have some excellent pedigree. our last 2 coaches averaged 7 wins a season.

tech fans expectations are above 3 wins obviously but let’s not pretend like we have ever been great long term
The key word there was “expected”. We have rarely gotten excellence, but some of us, I think, had expectations for it in the past.