Here's a thought

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There are limits (caps), to how much financial assistance a university can provide athletics. That’s why revenue and private donor fundraising is so important.

I will say athletics is central to Auburn’s engagement. The same donors who pay $100 million for a new school on campus also fund athletics. These are huge billionaire donors, the largest being Jimmy Rane (Yellawood). Everyone … students, faculty, alumni … are encouraged to be active in athletics.

That is not true at Tech. Every organization has its own Development team which competes with the GTAA and the Alumni Association for donations. It’s an organized mess. You are correct that the Hill could do more, but … it’s not in their interests to do more. That’s why nothing there has changed.

Your point about research is interesting. I’ve long maintained that Tech’s success in this area is why athletics is no longer much, if any, of a priority for the Hill. Tech is a cash cow for the state of Georgia. Simply put, the Hill doesn’t need athletics as much today as it did 40 years ago. Petit was transformational for Tech and you really can’t discuss Tech sports without also discussing GTRI.
The hill could easily require research to have multiple liaison/ ambassadors w student athletes and students via gtaa . Kind of like the voluntary donations to United way.

It just takes the desire.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
CPJ had more receivers than that spend time in the pros.
Never said he didn't. I said the article pointed at Calvin and Demaryius as the reason Tech was a "WR Factory". Take Johnson away and Tech isn't on the list.
I think the wording is unclear. Not clear, but you’re equating success with being an NFL Pro Bowler or WR in the pros?

To me both are a sign of success.

If the sign of a successful WR program is making Pro Bowl receivers, there really aren't many successful programs.
The article that was provided stated that Tech was the best WR factory and used draft position and Pro Bowls/All Pros as tools to measure the schools. Schools with more picks like USC and Oklahoma were on the bottom of the list as they didn't have any Pro Bowlers at all.

I can agree success can be measured in different ways, but if putting guys into the league is the measurement, GT would hardly have been a "factory" under Johnson.

Jolly Good Fellow
Never said he didn't. I said the article pointed at Calvin and Demaryius as the reason Tech was a "WR Factory". Take Johnson away and Tech isn't on the list.

The article that was provided stated that Tech was the best WR factory and used draft position and Pro Bowls/All Pros as tools to measure the schools. Schools with more picks like USC and Oklahoma were on the bottom of the list as they didn't have any Pro Bowlers at all.

I can agree success can be measured in different ways, but if putting guys into the league is the measurement, GT would hardly have been a "factory" under Johnson.
"The ESPN article highlights Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas (both players Johnson did not recruit)..."
Well, in fairness, Paul could not have recruited Calvin to play at Tech as he was a Detroit Lion by the time Paul took over.
"Take Johnson away and Tech isn't on the list."
Take away Babe Ruth and the '27 Yankees were not as good, either.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
"The ESPN article highlights Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas (both players Johnson did not recruit)..."
Well, in fairness, Paul could not have recruited Calvin to play at Tech as he was a Detroit Lion by the time Paul took over.
"Take Johnson away and Tech isn't on the list."
Take away Babe Ruth and the '27 Yankees were not as good, either.
"Well, in fairness, Paul could not have recruited Calvin to play at Tech as he was a Detroit Lion by the time Paul took over."
Obviously, the question is how could he have used Johnson as a talking point for how he develops WR to go into the NFL?

Take away Babe Ruth and the '27 Yankees still have 6 HOF.

Jolly Good Fellow
"Well, in fairness, Paul could not have recruited Calvin to play at Tech as he was a Detroit Lion by the time Paul took over."
Obviously, the question is how could he have used Johnson as a talking point for how he develops WR to go into the NFL?

LOL..
My point was Calvin is our Babe Ruth.... your point was to slam Paul....Yawn....

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

That wasn't the point. WR from Tech in the Pros. WR from Tech being Pro Bowlers. That's name recognition and that ain't a bad thing. Name recognition helps recruit players, whether the recognition was from your players or not. CPJ put a lot of WR in the Pros. Everything is relative.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

They were not known as "Murderer's Row" for nothing.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ would have sold his program the way CGC sold his program, we would have been a TOP25 team every year he was here, potentially challenging for championships. CPJ knew his system would work and didn't battle for the recruits the way Collins has. CPJ wanted all these outstanding recruits and recruited everyone, but he let his program do the talking for him instead of going toe-to-toe with those that negatively recruited us. It feels like his response to the negative recruiting was "Look at my record. My system has worked everywhere I've been," and he's right. The problem is he didn't go full-on nuclear mode against those who talked down our program. If he took the CGC approach, he might still be here and we might have another MNC or two.
Also--if he had gotten the Malik Willis QB from Atl area that went to Awbern and then lastly at Liberty (and just got drafted), I think he would have still been here.He is a a run/pass machine and the OFf wouldhave been unstoppable..

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
And without Ruth, there's a big hole in the lineup. How many would've still made it without Ruth in the lineup? That's a question that can't be answered.
We will never know. A teammate of Ruth on that team was an outstanding player in his own right until sadly, his career was cut short by injury. Ping Bodie was Ruth's roommate on away games. A reporter, looking for the human interest angle, I suppose asked Ping: "Ping, tell me, just what sort of fellow is the Babe anyway?" Says Ping: "Sorry I don't really know him that well." "What!" says the reporter, "Why not, you room with him don't you?" "Wrong" says the ever honest Ping, "I room with his suitcase."

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
Looking at this year's schedule, probably only 5 games would be ok, but I think he'd need to win 7 next year.

kalld12

Banned
Writing off one of our few major donors to defend Collins is an interesting hill to die on.
No disrespect, but you claiming he's a prominent donor holds absolutely no weight without proper proof. I don't you from Adams house cat and anyone here who believes you are lying to themselves. You go ahead and die on that hill then because one donor has no sway on what ADTS does. 5 wins as described above and we keep him. Mark this post

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
No disrespect, but you claiming he's a prominent donor holds absolutely no weight without proper proof. I don't you from Adams house cat and anyone here who believes you are lying to themselves. You go ahead and die on that hill then because one donor has no sway on what ADTS does. 5 wins as described above and we keep him. Mark this post
Here are multiple AJC articles which mention Greg Garrett as a major donor.

"Before Georgia Tech began its 2021 season, Steve Zelnak and Gregg Garrett shared optimism about the Yellow Jackets’ season ahead. Their perspective was worth listening to for at least a few reasons.
Both are Golden Jackets, the highest honor given to athletic-department donors, supporters whose lifetime cash gifts are $1 million or more."