Here's a thought

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
i think if that happens and collins pulls in another recruiting class like 2020 we probably would keep him
Things are very different with the transfer rule change and NIL...it will most definitely effect coaching replacements, if you don't have silly money which we don't. If we win 5 games and look promising and then let CGC go, I suspect many players would transfer and we would looking at a total rebuild again, but not with a Brian Kelly or Lincoln Riley...the pain would be revisited...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just to make an observation, if Collins went 5-7, he would be the first Tech coach since 1932 to post four straight losing seasons (which William Alexander did survive).
That is true but Coach Alexander had a national championship year in 1928 which gave him a lot of leeway. That said, the 1930s were not a good time on the Flats.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
And if Collins is fired, do we keep Stansbury?
Stansbury goes first. If it even remotely looks like we will have a new HC search, ADTS won’t get a 2nd bite at the apple. I don’t think ADTS has been a horrible AD, but fundraising is a secondary task to ensuring the Revenue / Profile sports are in good shape, and our top three are in as bad a place as they’ve been since I’ve been a fan (~35 years). AD goes mid season and a new one is hired to bring in a new HC at end of they year (and that’s with a 5 win season - if we start 1-4, they may not be able to wait…

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
using a talking point from the 60s to make a point lol

i never said anything about 5* recruits. there’s still plenty of other guys. the point is if we don’t have guys that are big and fast enough to play with clemson and uga then it just doesn’t matter what scheme we run. if there was a scheme that could make up for that athletic difference every school would be running that. until uga and clemson are no longer on our schedule the focus needs to be a coach who can get in talent to play with those guys. that’s not really up for debate
UGA was much bigger and faster than us in 2016. They even made fun of us before the game. How did that turn out? A great coach with a unique scheme and mostly average players has a fighting chance against an average coach with an average scheme and mostly great players.

JacketFan137

Banned
UGA was much bigger and faster than us in 2016. They even made fun of us before the game. How did that turn out? A great coach with a unique scheme and mostly average players has a fighting chance against an average coach with an average scheme and mostly great players.
that’s simply not true anymore. uga is at a different level. the option and the talent it brings is not enough. also what about a middle of the road minnesota team that stomped us in paul’s last game?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

What’s the unique scheme out there that’s doing that?

JacketFan137

Banned
i’ve asked multiple times in this thread and no one has had an answer. just some mythical scheme out there in the wilderness waiting to be used by georgia tech that will solve all of our problems apparently.

slugboy

Staff member
i’ve asked multiple times in this thread and no one has had an answer. just some mythical scheme out there in the wilderness waiting to be used by georgia tech that will solve all of our problems apparently.
On offense, Coastal Carolina has fans. Miss State and the Air Raid as well. UCF transitioned from one unusual scheme over to Gus Malzahn.
On defense, 3-4 and 3-3-5 allow some interesting attacks.
They won’t overcome total athletic domination, but if you’re in the same league it’ll make up the difference.
FWIW, there have been thoughtful discussions on this topic.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Lots of folks would say Jeff Monken could fill the bill, if only he were given a chance.
But as far as Ugag is concerned, Paul last climbed that hill in 2014 and 2016, but the talent gap has gotten too big now for any scheme to overcome the difference.
No scheme is going to "solve all our problems", but it might solve some of them.

JacketFan137

Banned
On offense, Coastal Carolina has fans. Miss State and the Air Raid as well. UCF transitioned from one unusual scheme over to Gus Malzahn.
On defense, 3-4 and 3-3-5 allow some interesting attacks.
They won’t overcome total athletic domination, but if you’re in the same league it’ll make up the difference.
FWIW, there have been thoughtful discussions on this topic.
i think we all know reality is when guys say we need a “scheme” coach it’s just a roundabout way to say we need to go back to the option.

i really have no issue with whatever coach we sign and get but one thing is for certain and that’s that they have to be recruiters because until clemson and uga are off the schedule bringing in some guy that can’t recruit but has a “scheme” is just a waste. we can’t recruit at a top 10 level obviously but we need to be in the top 30 recruiting wise and we have to bring in some real talent on defense to compete with teams like that. regardless of the offense

JacketFan137

Banned
It's the option. They want the option.
yeah that’s ultimately all they mean. it’s a shame collins transition went so bad because i think it’ll have lasting effects on the option or bust people feeling entirely vindicated and they’ll never accept anything else. can’t believe we have guys asking for monken and bohannon to be the next coach

CEB

Helluva Engineer
i think we all know reality is when guys say we need a “scheme” coach it’s just a roundabout way to say we need to go back to the option.

i really have no issue with whatever coach we sign and get but one thing is for certain and that’s that they have to be recruiters because until clemson and uga are off the schedule bringing in some guy that can’t recruit but has a “scheme” is just a waste. we can’t recruit at a top 10 level obviously but we need to be in the top 30 recruiting wise and we have to bring in some real talent on defense to compete with teams like that. regardless of the offense
speaking for everyone always causes trouble...that’s a pretty wild generalization there.

Pretty easy to see that if everyone is doing the same thing, what differentiates is recruiting. You’ve got to be recruiting to fit a scheme of some type and if you are looking for the exact same player as the factories, you’re already relegating yourself to “second tier” in terms of talent. If you truly think we can compete for and get (and now keep) the elite players away from the factories regardless of what we’re doing schematically, then we simply disagree and that’s fine.

I believe we need to be doing something a little differently to maximize the talent we CAN get. That doesn’t mean we don’t try to get the best available but when someone is bigger, stronger, faster and better suited up and down the line, why would we possibly approach everything the same way and expect to be successful against them?

JacketFan137

Banned
speaking for everyone always causes trouble...that’s a pretty wild generalization there.

Pretty easy to see that if everyone is doing the same thing, what differentiates is recruiting. You’ve got to be recruiting to fit a scheme of some type and if you are looking for the exact same player as the factories, you’re already relegating yourself to “second tier” in terms of talent. If you truly think we can compete for and get (and now keep) the elite players away from the factories regardless of what we’re doing schematically, then we simply disagree and that’s fine.

I believe we need to be doing something a little differently to maximize the talent we CAN get. That doesn’t mean we don’t try to get the best available but when someone is bigger, stronger, faster and better suited up and down the line, why would we possibly approach everything the same way and expect to be successful against them?
i think the issue is there isn’t some magical scheme that can out maneuver these guys. the key is getting talent in and developing it. collins got it in but couldn’t develop it and honestly i think it would have stayed if we could have won more games.

i think there are certainly some schematic advantages that can be created like more tempo, using TEs more etc so i am pretty excited about what long will bring to the table. i just don’t see what going to an option would do for us because that system really just can’t handle d lines with the athletes our two biggest rivals have at this point.

i think recruiting and development (both physically and skill wise) is our only path to success

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The rules have changed to box out alternative schemes. The rules changed dramatically over the last couple of years of CPJ's tenure, which affected the effectiveness of his scheme. He had the wherewithal to modify the blocking schemes to make them legal, but it made it much more difficult for his offense. I think that played into him being ready to retire and part of the reason we haven't seen him pop up somewhere else. It's hard to play when you're handcuffed.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
The rules have changed to box out alternative schemes. The rules changed dramatically over the last couple of years of CPJ's tenure, which affected the effectiveness of his scheme. He had the wherewithal to modify the blocking schemes to make them legal, but it made it much more difficult for his offense. I think that played into him being ready to retire and part of the reason we haven't seen him pop up somewhere else. It's hard to play when you're handcuffed.
Moncken still seems to do ok against better talent but you’re right. The NCAA found another way to screw GT.

(Full disclosure - I’m still in the camp of run an option based offense because you can max the results with the talent you can get).

JacketFan137

Banned
Moncken still seems to do ok against better talent but you’re right. The NCAA found another way to screw GT.

(Full disclosure - I’m still in the camp of run an option based offense because you can max the results with the talent you can get).
monken doesn’t have to play a whole lot of better talent and even then aside from giving some better teams scares in close games he has really won against any great teams. he’s also had a few AWFUL seasons mixed in.

good coach for what he does but i don’t think he’s quite ready for power 5 football