Here's a thought

JacketFan137

Banned
But how would that class rate with 2 of the 4 stars players gone? ( Gibbs and Ivey )
obviously not as good. had we won they would have stayed. which is literally what i said. collins lost the momentum with the recruiting (his own fault for not winning) so we suffered. whatever point you’re trying to make here doesn’t make sense lol

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
obviously not as good. had we won they would have stayed. which is literally what i said. collins lost the momentum with the recruiting (his own fault for not winning) so we suffered. whatever point you’re trying to make here doesn’t make sense lol
The latest hs camp at gt did not have a heavy attendance of good players and had lots of PWO hopefuls.

Maybe that's normal, but it would seem w portal, lots of hs kids would be going to camps. I know PWO need to camp and Gt offers a great education .

I wonder if the lower tier portal transfers will be slowing down.

Collins needs a good portal WR asap.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If the NIL era hasn't disproved the "good recruiter" myth yet, then I don't know what will. The schools that have historically been buying players, are somehow always able to have the best recruiters? Yet when those coaches leave for programs not historically known for recruiting, they don't match the same levels of recruiting as the high paying (to recruits) schools did.

The same places recruit at a high level every year.

Again this is in the top 15 range, everything outside of that is a crap shoot.

Tell me with a straight face that you think CGC (or anyone else) can get Tech to consistently recruit in the top 15 (let alone top 25), because that's what it will take for Tech to compete with the big boys consistently by playing that game.

Now you run what costal does, or even the option, spend your big money on a good defensive coordinator who also has a schematic advantage, then you can have some great years sprinkled in to consistently decent teams.

Allot of you guys want Tech to be like Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia... News flash IT AIN'T HAPPENING. I would love to get the type of players they get all the time, but... IT AIN'T HAPPENING. We don't spend enough buying players, and that's only getting worse.

What do we, as an institute who consider ourselves to be above average intelligence? We need to find another way to win, instead of being envious of SEC programs and UGA. Their model will not work here. We need to put scheme, and keep up CGC 's good marketing. That's just my thinking anyways.
All true. It’s a myth that certain coaches are such great recruiters over others. It’s always been about the under the table money. Saban at Mich St vs. Saban at Bama. One with a great money laundering system the other not. Until GT decides to spend money on players we won’t do squat. It’s been like that for years and will stay that way.

slugboy

Staff member
All true. It’s a myth that certain coaches are such great recruiters over others. It’s always been about the under the table money. Saban at Mich St vs. Saban at Bama. One with a great money laundering system the other not. Until GT decides to spend money on players we won’t do squat. It’s been like that for years and will stay that way.
There’s a basic level a school recruits at, but some coaches recruit substantially better than others. Mack Brown out recruits other head coaches at UNC, and he had better classes at Texas than other Texas head coaches.
TA&M is definitely using the NIL money machine like no one else, but even without it, Jimbo Fisher is a better recruiter than most of his peers.
Recruiting skills aren’t everything, but they are definitely not not “nothing”

JacketFan137

Banned
There’s a basic level a school recruits at, but some coaches recruit substantially better than others. Mack Brown out recruits other head coaches at UNC, and he had better classes at Texas than other Texas head coaches.
TA&M is definitely using the NIL money machine like no one else, but even without it, Jimbo Fisher is a better recruiter than most of his peers.
Recruiting skills aren’t everything, but they are definitely not not “nothing”
yeah this is something i think our fanbase is conditioned to based on the previous regimes lack of recruiting effort/resources. to the point where we have people in the fanbase just settling for worse classes and saying things like recruiting is a myth and just money. if that were true why is kirby recruiting at a higher level than mark richt?

idk i think we just have a fanbase that has soured themselves out on recruiting and act like we should just ignore it even though it is basically the only path to relevance in college football

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
that’s simply not true anymore. uga is at a different level. the option and the talent it brings is not enough. also what about a middle of the road minnesota team that stomped us in paul’s last game?
Sadly it is still true, its a shame we have got into this mess because a group of fans and supporters wanted to compete based mainly on recruiting. I layed out exactly what was going to happen three years ago when CGC was hired. I never wanted to be so wrong in my life, but we are where we are becuase of a lot of dumb thoughts from fans and money'd supporters created a one legged chair.

JacketFan137

Banned
Sadly it is still true, its a shame we have got into this mess because a group of fans and supporters wanted to compete based mainly on recruiting. I layed out exactly what was going to happen three years ago when CGC was hired. I never wanted to be so wrong in my life, but we are where we are becuase of a lot of dumb thoughts from fans and money'd supporters created a one legged chair.
i’m sorry but this is a pretty ridiculous take. collins being a bad coach doesn’t mean recruiting here can’t work. we aren’t gonna compete with bad recruiting classes. i’m not sure what is so hard to realize about that. we have to at least attempt to close the insurmountable gap. a good base of physical ability and talent is the bare minimum to sit at the table with uga and clemson. while no one reasonably expects us to beat them on a regular basis, they aren’t going anywhere on our schedule any time soon so it’s in our best interest to do SOMETHING. hindering ourselves further by making bad excuses as to why we can’t recruit and settling for coaches that can’t recruit is a much bigger issue.

people that post their anti collins rhetoric constantly talk about how standards are falling, how our fanbase needs to demand more etc. where is that energy for our recruiting? you know, the single most important facet of college football at the moment?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
i’m sorry but this is a pretty ridiculous take. collins being a bad coach doesn’t mean recruiting here can’t work. we aren’t gonna compete with bad recruiting classes. i’m not sure what is so hard to realize about that. we have to at least attempt to close the insurmountable gap. a good base of physical ability and talent is the bare minimum to sit at the table with uga and clemson. while no one reasonably expects us to beat them on a regular basis, they aren’t going anywhere on our schedule any time soon so it’s in our best interest to do SOMETHING. hindering ourselves further by making bad excuses as to why we can’t recruit and settling for coaches that can’t recruit is a much bigger issue.

people that post their anti collins rhetoric constantly talk about how standards are falling, how our fanbase needs to demand more etc. where is that energy for our recruiting? you know, the single most important facet of college football at the moment?
This the reason I hope Collins succeeds, because he is a good recruiter. We've finally brought in some better assistants, but we need more upgrades, especially OL coach IMO. If he can just tone down the cheerleading and get real (which it appears he's already done to an extent) and coach the defense to equal the defenses he's coached elsewhere when he was DC, he might make a go of it. I can see why he was hired, for his recruiting acumen. He's been a failure coaching-wise, but the recruiting was really promising until he lost the last half of last year. If he can just get the coaching turned around, I believe the recruiting can right itself and he can succeed. But it's too bad that he's lost the recruiting momentum he established early on. Hope it's not too late to turn it around, and I hope he's up to the task. Recruiting is essential no matter what offenses or defenses we run on the field, but if he can't coach it's all for nothing.

As vital as recruiting is, coaching is more important because if you can't coach, you can't even hang onto your recruiting classes. The Collins experiment is exhibit A.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This the reason I hope Collins succeeds, because he is a good recruiter. We've finally brought in some better assistants, but we need more upgrades, especially OL coach IMO. If he can just tone down the cheerleading and get real (which it appears he's already done to an extent) and coach the defense to equal the defenses he's coached elsewhere when he was DC, he might make a go of it. I can see why he was hired, for his recruiting acumen. He's been a failure coaching-wise, but the recruiting was really promising until he lost the last half of last year. If he can just get the coaching turned around, I believe the recruiting can right itself and he can succeed. But it's too bad that he's lost the recruiting momentum he established early on. Hope it's not too late to turn it around, and I hope he's up to the task. Recruiting is essential no matter what offenses or defenses we run on the field, but if he can't coach it's all for nothing.

As vital as recruiting is, coaching is more important because if you can't coach, you can't even hang onto your recruiting classes. The Collins experiment is exhibit A.

Staring Clemsonly at this

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Im not really convinced they would have stayed even if we had won. Jermaine Burton and Jordan Addison didn't transfer due to lack of winning. It's a money game now. Unless we want to significantly compete in the new college football free agency market we are going to lose some of our best players whether we are winning or not.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Im not really convinced they would have stayed even if we had won. Jermaine Burton and Jordan Addison didn't transfer due to lack of winning. It's a money game now. Unless we want to significantly compete in the new college football free agency market we are going to lose some of our best players whether we are winning or not.

Burton plays in offense that didn’t feature him and Addison just lost his 1st rd QB. Not sure if those are good examples

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Ajou, Ladsen after losing Adam Randle. Mike Jones, & probably Tchio with them not having Hunter Rayburn & Mason Trotter

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Ajou, Ladsen after losing Adam Randle. Mike Jones, & probably Tchio with them not having Hunter Rayburn & Mason Trotter
Ajou - Caught 6 passes as a Sophomore.
Ladsen - Caught 4 passes as a Junior.
Jones - Quality player. Ill give you that one although it was last year.
Tchio - Played in less than half of Clemson's games.

I'm not sure this meets the level of ravaged by the portal. I think Clemson will be ok.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
ultimately hard to say without knowing how much our higher ups are willing to pay.

criteria that are musts

1. must recruit at a high level. either a coordinator at a big 10/sec/acc school that has a proven track record of great recruiting or a g5 coach that has them recruiting at a level above their peers.

2. a guy who brings a unique identity to the team that can still recruit. i’m not opposed to a “scheme” if that scheme allows us to recruit. option is very prohibitive to that on both sides of the ball. would love what you see at baylor, ucf, etc chip long seems to have a good idea of an identity for the program

3. a guy that will sell the program and wants to be here. i know it’s not a destination job like notre dame, bama etc but one thing i did appreciate about both paul and collins is it felt like this was a place they want to be

and last and more of my opinion than the other things i’ve mentioned is that i would prefer an offensive head coach. most of the time that is the route to success.

so i’m not sure what that will leave us with based on what we are willing to pay. i do think a coach with more roots in the southeast is also helpful cause we can use the resource that is georgia high schools. malzahn would honestly be a dream for me
Malzahn would be a-OK with me. I'll say I think you are putting too much stock into a coach's personal ability to recruit - I think the level/quality of support staff and funding to buy players have a much bigger impact, especially starting the last few years. I don't think the head coach should be buddy buddy with every player like CGC has been, let the position coach's handle fill that role and have the head coach be a leader like he is supposed to be.