Here's a thought

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
i think we’re gonna score 0. turn the ball over 7 times. give up 65 points
Cmon man... The poster gave a statistic. Everyone points to how close the Clemson game was but that was the low point of their year offensively and likely our best defensive performance. Clemson at the end of 2021 was not the same team that we faced (neither were we - we went in opposite directions).

JacketFan137

Banned
Cmon man... The poster gave a statistic. Everyone points to how close the Clemson game was but that was the low point of their year offensively and likely our best defensive performance. Clemson at the end of 2021 was not the same team that we faced (neither were we - we went in opposite directions).
no i have been convinced by the fellow users here. we’re gonna go 0-12 and never score another point

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
what you’ve said here makes absolutely zero sense and i really don’t know what point you’re trying to make. there is no magical scheme that is gonna make lesser talent trump massive talent gaps anymore, especially with our two biggest rivals being clemson and uga. our only real path to turning those games into actual competitive matchups is recruiting at a high level and getting guys in that can attempt to play with their speed and physicality. recruiting is the priority bottom line

if guys leave for NIL money then that just means the goal should be to recruit good replacements to take their spot. it should always be the focus of the hiring process
Re the "magical scheme", Bobby Dodd opined on this 60 years ago at Tech. We will never out recruit the factories. His whole philosophy was to minimize possessions, manage the clock and try to keep the score within 7 going into the fourth quarter. "If we can keep it close, I'll find a way to win", he quipped. CPJ had the same philosophy (or at least similar even if the offense was quite different.)

As to recruiting, ADTS has said recruiting 5 stars is NOT the priority. Developing 3 stars is. His words, not mine. It's clear to me that Tech Nation is NOT unified on this and that's on ADTS. His communication skills are terrible.

As to NIL and players departing, get used to it. We may very well catch lighting in a bottle only to see them transfer. Which means we need a system that can rotate players ... annually. Super specialized schemes won't work in an environment where players are changing yearly.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Re the "magical scheme", Bobby Dodd opined on this 60 years ago at Tech. We will never out recruit the factories. His whole philosophy was to minimize possessions, manage the clock and try to keep the score within 7 going into the fourth quarter. "If we can keep it close, I'll find a way to win", he quipped. CPJ had the same philosophy (or at least similar even if the offense was quite different.)

As to recruiting, ADTS has said recruiting 5 stars is NOT the priority. Developing 3 stars is. His words, not mine. It's clear to me that Tech Nation is NOT unified on this and that's on ADTS. His communication skills are terrible.

As to NIL and players departing, get used to it. We may very well catch lighting in a bottle only to see them transfer. Which means we need a system that can rotate players ... annually. Super specialized schemes won't work in an environment where players are changing yearly.
We already did. He left for Alabama.

slugboy

Staff member

Unless the specialized scheme players don’t transfer as much, because they fit at fewer programs

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Unless the specialized scheme players don’t transfer as much, because they fit at fewer programs
Which means they have no NFL future. That's what killed Malzahn at Auburn. I don't disagree with you btw, but it's a strategic decision that I don't think Tech is capable of making.

JacketFan137

Banned

using a talking point from the 60s to make a point lol

i never said anything about 5* recruits. there’s still plenty of other guys. the point is if we don’t have guys that are big and fast enough to play with clemson and uga then it just doesn’t matter what scheme we run. if there was a scheme that could make up for that athletic difference every school would be running that. until uga and clemson are no longer on our schedule the focus needs to be a coach who can get in talent to play with those guys. that’s not really up for debate

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
using a talking point from the 60s to make a point lol

i never said anything about 5* recruits. there’s still plenty of other guys. the point is if we don’t have guys that are big and fast enough to play with clemson and uga then it just doesn’t matter what scheme we run. if there was a scheme that could make up for that athletic difference every school would be running that. until uga and clemson are no longer on our schedule the focus needs to be a coach who can get in talent to play with those guys. that’s not really up for debate
You think Geoff Collins in 2022 is the first coach to face bigger, stronger athletes? Yes ... a talking point from 1960 is totally relevant. You can win with talent or you can win with scheme. If you can't get talent, you better have scheme.

As 5*, fair enough. But l encourage you to actually LISTEN to TStan. He has opined frequently that Tech CANNOT recruit to level of Top 20 teams and so, the strategy is to DEVELOP 3* into 5*s ... BY THE TIME THEY GRADUATE.

Guess what? They won't be here 4 years for them to DEVELOP. They will transfer. So we are going to need a whole new game plan. Basically ... how do you win with the transfer portal. Bruce Pearl did with with Auburn basketball. And he will tell you ... it's simply the world we live in today.

JacketFan137

Banned
You think Geoff Collins in 2022 is the first coach to face bigger, stronger athletes? Yes ... a talking point from 1960 is totally relevant. You can win with talent or you can win with scheme. If you can't get talent, you better have scheme.

As 5*, fair enough. But l encourage you to actually LISTEN to TStan. He has opined frequently that Tech CANNOT recruit to level of Top 20 teams and so, the strategy is to DEVELOP 3* into 5*s ... BY THE TIME THEY GRADUATE.

Guess what? They won't be here 4 years for them to DEVELOP. They will transfer. So we are going to need a whole new game plan. Basically ... how do you win with the transfer portal. Bruce Pearl did with with Auburn basketball. And he will tell you ... it's simply the world we live in today.
we may not recruit at top 20 level but we need to be damn close or we need to quit scheduling those teams. that’s the reality.

no a point from the 1960s is completely irrelevant and frankly ridiculous to bring up. it’s not the 1960s. we are basically playing a different sport. recruiting has been optimized to the max. there is no longer regional recruiting. kids are going to schools from all over the country instead of just wanting to stay in their back yard. clemson, uga and notre dame are on our schedule nearly every year. if we just settle with some belief that a scheme will make up that gap in talent we’ll be in for a rough rough time. again, if someone could introduce me to some mythical scheme that will allow turn us into competitors with these teams year after year then i am all ears. as we saw with the option it’s certainly not that.

and again, before i’m called a collins defender and completely disregarded, i’m not saying collins is the guy to do this with. regardless of who we bring in they must be a fantastic recruiter because we are already behind the 8 ball so they need to be able to bring in top talent and develop it. that includes the portal as well.

honestly i’m not even saying we need to run a pro scheme or anything either. schools like baylor and oregon in the past were successful with things a little off the norm. regardless without the talent it’s just gonna be more of the same vs clemson and uga

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
we may not recruit at top 20 level but we need to be damn close or we need to quit scheduling those teams. that’s the reality.

no a point from the 1960s is completely irrelevant and frankly ridiculous to bring up. it’s not the 1960s. we are basically playing a different sport. recruiting has been optimized to the max. there is no longer regional recruiting. kids are going to schools from all over the country instead of just wanting to stay in their back yard. clemson, uga and notre dame are on our schedule nearly every year. if we just settle with some belief that a scheme will make up that gap in talent we’ll be in for a rough rough time. again, if someone could introduce me to some mythical scheme that will allow turn us into competitors with these teams year after year then i am all ears. as we saw with the option it’s certainly not that.

and again, before i’m called a collins defender and completely disregarded, i’m not saying collins is the guy to do this with. regardless of who we bring in they must be a fantastic recruiter because we are already behind the 8 ball so they need to be able to bring in top talent and develop it. that includes the portal as well.

honestly i’m not even saying we need to run a pro scheme or anything either. schools like baylor and oregon in the past were successful with things a little off the norm. regardless without the talent it’s just gonna be more of the same vs clemson and uga

Yawn. We have NO CHANCE to recruit top athletes to Tech. We might get some via the portal who are unhappy playing at their original pledge, but Tech today is not a desirable destination. Why would it be? We place relatively few players into the pros each year (by comparison) and we have won 3 games each of the last three years. Good luck selling that vision.

Funny enough ... we've come full circle. This was the same debate when CPJ was hired ... Can we recruit? No ... so let's get an X's and O guy. So now we are saying, "we can recruit!" I doubt it. We might find a player or two, but it is a different world today. Tech was in real trouble in 1980. I was there. We are in worse shape today, IMO. The game is moving faster than we can respond.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yawn. We have NO CHANCE to recruit top athletes to Tech. We might get some via the portal who are unhappy playing at their original pledge, but Tech today is not a desirable destination. Why would it be? We place relatively few players into the pros each year (by comparison) and we have won 3 games each of the last three years. Good luck selling that vision.

Funny enough ... we've come full circle. This was the same debate when CPJ was hired ... Can we recruit? No ... so let's get an X's and O guy. So now we are saying, "we can recruit!" I doubt it. We might find a player or two, but it is a different world today. Tech was in real trouble in 1980. I was there. We are in worse shape today, IMO. The game is moving faster than we can respond.
collins actually showed we can recruit at a pretty high level. if he would have actually won games then that likely could have been consistent.

again, you have completely ignored my point because you have your mind made up. the 5* recruits won’t come here, but that’s fine. there are plenty of 4/high 3 stars which is what i’m talking about. we have to bring that level of talent in to have a chance. year over year if we recruited like we did for the 2020 class then we could have a chance but we haven’t had the right guy to do it.

it’s also crazy how this page has used the paul johnson era to determine that our options are x’s and o’s vs recruiters. ideally they can do both.

i will ask AGAIN since no one can answer. what is this mythical scheme we can switch to that will lessen the gap between us and uga? at this points it’s a talent issue not some magic scheme.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
collins actually showed we can recruit at a pretty high level. if he would have actually won games then that likely could have been consistent.

again, you have completely ignored my point because you have your mind made up. the 5* recruits won’t come here, but that’s fine. there are plenty of 4/high 3 stars which is what i’m talking about. we have to bring that level of talent in to have a chance. year over year if we recruited like we did for the 2020 class then we could have a chance but we haven’t had the right guy to do it.

it’s also crazy how this page has used the paul johnson era to determine that our options are x’s and o’s vs recruiters. ideally they can do both.

i will ask AGAIN since no one can answer. what is this mythical scheme we can switch to that will lessen the gap between us and uga? at this points it’s a talent issue not some magic scheme.
Can I ask how old you are?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Unless one of them is our AD it really doesn't matter how they feel or any of us.
AD "should" be aligned with the fans to an extent. If we suddenly are ok with 5 or 6 wins for retention, then that sways things. Hence my comment.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
AD "should" be aligned with the fans to an extent. If we suddenly are ok with 5 or 6 wins for retention, then that sways things. Hence my comment.
Fans vote with their feet and their money. He shouldn't ignore them even if a lot of them aren't mega donors. He will never appease the entire base but he shouldn't ignore the majority of them either.