Here's a COVID thread for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

It's not really a contradiction. They simply aren't going to make conclusive statements or give guidelines until there is far more data available to evaluate.

Well, we know enough to know that the CDC is a bunch of ****ing *** hats. Why do I say that? The data.

We have actual full complete studies, which the CDC has released, which show zero spread of covid from vaccinated people. Now will that always stay 0.000% as more people get vaccinated? I would doubt it. But we know its not going to end up at 50% of vaccinated people spread it, it won't end up at 5%, and it will probably be well under 0.1%. (Because we have tens and tens of millions of fully vaccinated people already, so its a large data set on top of the clinical trials.) So it may end up 0.0001% or 0.01%, but any of those possible outcomes are an immaterial difference.

In terms of getting covid, we're up to about 75 people who have died of covid after having been vaccinated. These are all extremely frail people immune systemwise from the articles I've read.

And then you cross these two groups together, and the risk of vaccinated people crossing paths and harming each other is somewhere way out in Planck's Constant land.

The CDC is worrying about keeping numbers as close to zero as possible, which is a ridiculous perspective, given they don't treat anything else like that.

Get vaccinated. Once you've been vaccinated, if you're still worried, then wear a mask, keep your distance from other people, and practice good hygiene. If you're younger, healthy, or either way not worried, then don't wear a mask, hang out with friends and family, go to church, travel, whatever you want. You'll be fine. Your risk of getting seriously ill is no different at this point than from catching the flu or getting hit by a car or being shot or choking on your food.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Well, we know enough to know that the CDC is a bunch of ****ing *** hats. Why do I say that? The data.

We have actual full complete studies, which the CDC has released, which show zero spread of covid from vaccinated people. Now will that always stay 0.000% as more people get vaccinated? I would doubt it. But we know its not going to end up at 50% of vaccinated people spread it, it won't end up at 5%, and it will probably be well under 0.1%. (Because we have tens and tens of millions of fully vaccinated people already, so its a large data set on top of the clinical trials.) So it may end up 0.0001% or 0.01%, but any of those possible outcomes are an immaterial difference.

In terms of getting covid, we're up to about 75 people who have died of covid after having been vaccinated. These are all extremely frail people immune systemwise from the articles I've read.

And then you cross these two groups together, and the risk of vaccinated people crossing paths and harming each other is somewhere way out in Planck's Constant land.

The CDC is worrying about keeping numbers as close to zero as possible, which is a ridiculous perspective, given they don't treat anything else like that.

Get vaccinated. Once you've been vaccinated, if you're still worried, then wear a mask, keep your distance from other people, and practice good hygiene. If you're younger, healthy, or either way not worried, then don't wear a mask, hang out with friends and family, go to church, travel, whatever you want. You'll be fine. Your risk of getting seriously ill is no different at this point than from catching the flu or getting hit by a car or being shot or choking on your food.
Im not going to rehash your seething hatred of the CDC, but im not sure why you think they should rush into conclusive statements based on small specific studies done early in the vaccine process. Why do you want them to rush things when they could give scientists more time to study these things and come up with better conclusions? Our country isn't even a quarter vaccinated at this point.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Im not going to rehash your seething hatred of the CDC, but im not sure why you think they should rush into conclusive statements based on small specific studies done early in the vaccine process. Why do you want them to rush things when they could give scientists more time to study these things and come up with better conclusions? Our country isn't even a quarter vaccinated at this point.
The reason to be reasonable is because the CDC (and many others) seem to think there is no cost to being cautious. There are costs. There have been steep (if unmeasurable) costs in areas like mental health, the effects on our children, etc.
So, the CDC is acting like there is only ONE measure if success and COVID is the only measure. I disagree strongly.

Deleted member 2897

Im not asking them to rush or to make conclusive statements. Just follow the science. Which they refuse to do. I don’t hate them. They’re just pathetic at their 1 single job. The science is not going to materially change from how well settled it already is. For example, after tens of millions, vaccinated people spreading it may go from 0% to 0.01%. Or whatever. It won’t be material. If by some miracle there’s a new variant and that does change substantially, then update the guidance. But saying we have to stay the course just in case is ridiculously stupid when we have such a mountain of data in front of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The science is clear according to the CDC, there is no evidence that people who have been vaccinated can spread covid. If you're worried about catching it from someone else (a tiny percentage of vaccinated people can still acquire covid), you can wear a mask, avoid crowds, etc., at your own choice.

To be clear, you mean fully vaccinated. It seems you do, but want to clarify.

Deleted member 2897

If anybody needs a stark comparison to how countries are doing with vaccinations, Prince Phillips funeral is right now and only like 30 people were allowed into the third massive church (all signatories like like the queen and her family), extreme spacing, and all wearing masks. That even people of that stature haven’t been vaccinated yet says it all.

GT_EE78

Banned
Your statement does not reflect the results. They had 2 groups of people who tested positive for COVID, one that was unvaccinated and one that was vaccinated. The variant was 8x more prevalent in the vaccinated group. That doesn't mean that you're more likely to get the variant if you're vaccinated, but if you do happen to get COVID after being vaccinated it is more likely to be the variant when compared to an unvaccinated group.
I see what you're saying and agree with RJ that it was a poorly wriiten article. I had read a different article on same subject which i wish i had posted but can no longer find.
I did find a couple but still not the original one i had read so i'm not certain if i interpreted correctly.based on the yahoo article i didn't.
There is a thing called "Vaccine induced immunopathology" which means that Coronavirus vaccines can cause hypersensitivity to future variants.
This happened during vax development (circa 2003 SARS)
This one is better than yahoo. It suggests that Pfizer may be less effective or ineffective against this variant which makes it seem that boosters are going to be needed

. When a vax appears less effective, that can be due to either a new variant or mishandling/storage or PEG sensitivity and is called a "breakthrough" case.
SC DHEC has reported 134 "breakthrough" cases in SC. other states also report these

Deleted member 2897

I see what you're saying and agree with RJ that it was a poorly wriiten article. I had read a different article on same subject which i wish i had posted but can no longer find.
I did find a couple but still not the original one i had read so i'm not certain if i interpreted correctly.based on the yahoo article i didn't.
There is a thing called "Vaccine induced immunopathology" which means that Coronavirus vaccines can cause hypersensitivity to future variants.
This happened during vax development (circa 2003 SARS)
This one is better than yahoo. It suggests that Pfizer may be less effective or ineffective against this variant which makes it seem that boosters are going to be needed

. When a vax appears less effective, that can be due to either a new variant or mishandling/storage or PEG sensitivity and is called a "breakthrough" case.
SC DHEC has reported 134 "breakthrough" cases in SC. other states also report these

The velocity of development of these vaccines gives me high confidence every 6-12 months they can come out with new tweaks to account for these variants. (Fingers crossed.)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The velocity of development of these vaccines gives me high confidence every 6-12 months they can come out with new tweaks to account for these variants. (Fingers crossed.)
They are able to quasi-predict what the new strain of flu will be every year and have a new vaccine for the predicted strain every year. I see no reason that in 10-15 years this virus will be any different if it stays around that long.

GT_EE78

Banned
probably if you assume they release by EUA. If full approval is required then the first one may take longer but still i'd expect to see an annual booster.

Deleted member 2897

We dropped ours March 5th in South Carolina. The result:
masks.jpg

We once again prove shutdowns and restrictions do nothing, and are frequently counter productive. Get vaccinated, practice safe behavior, and if you're vulnerable or worried, then just make your own decisions to protect yourself.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 10357

We once again prove shutdowns and restrictions do nothing, and are frequently counter productive. Get vaccinated, practice safe behavior, and if you're vulnerable or worried, then just make your own decisions to protect yourself.
Should have been the last sentence from the drop instead of all the other BS.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
ending a mask mandate a month ago and having cases remain low doesn't prove anything. Also, shutdowns and restrictions only work if people actually follow them....

Deleted member 2897

ending a mask mandate a month ago and having cases remain low doesn't prove anything. Also, shutdowns and restrictions only work if people actually follow them....

Its actually 6 weeks ago - it proves that people have operated safely without mandates, because cases should have risen about a month ago. It proves the second part of your sentence - mandates and shutdowns only work if people follow them. And the last year has shown us that shutdowns aren't followed - the states with the most restrictive rules have crushed their economies with no discernible difference in covid outcomes. The truth is you can't 'shutdown'. People have to work, they have to buy things like food to survive. Someone has to stock the food, sell the food, deliver it, grow it. Those companies then need to buy packaging, utilities, and so on, so those companies need to operate...and on down the line.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 10357

This is idiotic. The second sentence is fine. I've spent time in SC recently, so by my observations, this is true. Most people are still wearing masks most places. Most people are still socially distancing. Many people have been vaccinated.

Shutdowns and restrictions created an environment that inhibited the transmission of the virus. That's a good thing. Once it became apparent things were getting under control, restrictions loosen. That's the way it's supposed to work. A flat line isn't an indication the restrictions and shutdowns did nothing, it's an indication that they did what they were supposed to do, get people to the point where they did what needed to be done, and get them vaccinated.

I posit without the shutdowns and restrictions you lambast, most people would not have followed half of what you suggest in the second half of your comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.