Here are the final AP Rankings for the 2016 season.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I get the anger but GT also has one win over a ranked team (just like every other team people are complaining about) and our second best win is a team with 7 wins. Honestly anywhere from 21-30 is pretty accurate and I fell like our ranking is justified.

Good point. But the ACC was obviously farvand away the most dominant conference. Using ESPN SEC logic FSU should be #3, VT n Miami should be top 10, and GT should be top 15. Just sayin:cigar:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Interesting as well. Miami spanked WVU and WVU only drops 2 spots and stays ahead of Miami. Penn St put on a great effort against USC while OSU got mutilated and OSU still stays ahead of Penn St despite the head to head win and Big 10 Championship. FSU with arguably one of the most impressive bowl wins at #8 behind OSU & PSU who lost and arguably Washington who didn't look very good.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Here's the SB Nation Early Preseason 2017 Top 25

1)Alabama
2)Ohio State
3)USC
4)FSU
5)Penn State
6)Oklahoma
7)Clemson
8)Washington
9)LSU
10)Michigan
11)Wisconsin
12)Louisville
13)Auburn
14)Georgia
15)Oklahoma State
16)Stanford
17)West Virginia
18)Florida
19)Miami
20)Texas
21)South Florida
22)Tennessee
23)Virginia Tech
24)Kansas State
25)Washington State

I can't believe they think Middle Tennessee State and Indiana will get more votes than Georgia Tech!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
My Personal End of Year Top 25:
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. FSU
5. USC
6. Washington
7. Penn State
8. Ohio State
9. Michigan
10. Oklahoma St
11. Wisconsin
12. VT
13. Stanford
14. Florida
15. Western Michigan
16. Colorado
17. Miami
18. WVU
19. South Florida
20. San Diego State
21. GT
22. Tennessee
23. Air Force
24. LSU
25. Louisville

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. FSU
5. USC
6. Washington
7. Penn State
8. Ohio State
9. Michigan
10. Oklahoma St
11. Wisconsin
12. VT
13. Stanford
14. Florida
15. Western Michigan
16. Colorado
17. Miami
18. WVU
19. South Florida
20. San Diego State
21. GT
22. Tennessee
23. Air Force
24. LSU
25. Louisville
I agree with your Top 25 GT deserves to be somewhere in the 20-25 range.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
1. Lose JT
2. Lose leading rusher
3. Perceived lack of talent (5 yr averaged recruiting ranking #55)
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ge-football-recruiting-improvement-tcu-baylor

F--- it. We control our own destiny in the polls because we'll face a ranked team in week 1. Then we have two gimmes that follow. If we start out 3-0 (very possible, if not probable), I see us around 20 heading into week 4.

This poll was the final ranking for this past season. Those 3 points have nothing to do with that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Your'r right, my bad. My head must have still been in the other thread.

So how does my answer apply to the preseason poll snub?

I think your point 3 is probably the biggest factor. Start with recruiting rankings and adjust by past year(s) performance is a safe way to go for many I reckon.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
That's the problem. We can all have our own top 25. Our top 25 will be determined by our own bias. Our top 25 is just as valid as theirs. The only true way to determine who is better is a real playoff. It's stupid that we allow somebody to tell us who is better than someone else.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's the problem. We can all have our own top 25. Our top 25 will be determined by our own bias. Our top 25 is just as valid as theirs. The only true way to determine who is better is a real playoff. It's stupid that we allow somebody to tell us who is better than someone else.
Yes. That is the whole point. Thanks. How a conference who went 4-10 against the other conference can be on equal footing with numbers in the top 25 is beyond me. Not only that, but teams in the superior conference, with equal or better records, were left out, while the weaker conference's teams were on the list. Go figure. Rankings are a joke and they should have no impact beyond seeding of brackets for playoffs.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
What does it really matter outside fans (us) egos?

If we want to be in the playoff, we have win the conference and do it with only one loss. That doesn't change if we're ranking 25 or 65 to start the season.

I'd much rather have the humongous shoulder chip all summer long.
Agreed, Tech has to win the conference title to be in the mix. As the playoffs are determined now, Tech really has no chance to get in the dance. We don't have the wear withall to run with the big boys every season as the rules stand now.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Agreed, Tech has to win the conference title to be in the mix. As the playoffs are determined now, Tech really has no chance to get in the dance. We don't have the wear withall to run with the big boys every season as the rules stand now.
As long as GT is in the running for an ACC Championship every few seasons i'm a happy GT fan.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. FSU
5. USC
6. Washington
7. Penn State
8. Ohio State
9. Michigan
10. Oklahoma St
11. Wisconsin
12. VT
13. Stanford
14. Florida
15. Western Michigan
16. Colorado
17. Miami
18. WVU
19. South Florida
20. San Diego State
21. GT
22. Tennessee
23. Air Force
24. LSU
25. Louisville
I don't think San Diego a state or south Florida would beat GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Combined record of teams we lost to: 39-15 (Clemson 14-1, Miami 9-4, UNC 8-5, Pitt 8-5)
Bowl Teams we played: 9
Record VS bowl teams: 5-4

BTW, GT is #23 in the Sagarin Ratings.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

I think if you look at the ratings according to those that use metrics, GT will rank higher than polls based on subjective votes.

Composite of the 58 different rankings available:

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Last edited: