Here are the final AP Rankings for the 2016 season.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
What does it really matter outside fans (us) egos?

If we want to be in the playoff, we have win the conference and do it with only one loss. That doesn't change if we're ranking 25 or 65 to start the season.

I'd much rather have the humongous shoulder chip all summer long.

Sorta true but if any school winning the conference with one loss gets screwed out of the playoffs, it's more likely to happen to us. Early rankings matter more to us than a factory IMO.

Edit: also true for Wake

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sorta true but if any school winning the conference with one loss gets screwed out of the playoffs, it's more likely to happen to us. Early rankings matter more to us than a factory IMO.

Edit: also true for Wake
If we win the ACC with one loss, it means we beat Ugag, VT, Miami and Clemson twice (or Clemson + FSU) Even if you subtract one of these for our one loss.... still think anyway we get left out?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If we win the ACC with one loss, it means we beat Ugag, VT, Miami and Clemson twice (or Clemson + FSU) minus one of these or someone else. Still think anyway we get left out?

Depends on the kind seasons the competition you cited has. I admit I'm being negative and pessimistic but I can't help think that scenario with the mutts losing 5, ACC runner up losing 3 etc would bight us on the butt and give the committee all the excuse they'd need to omit us.

Now if UGA wins the SEC and we beat them, yeah your scenario puts us in certainly.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I get the anger but GT also has one win over a ranked team (just like every other team people are complaining about) and our second best win is a team with 7 wins. Honestly anywhere from 21-30 is pretty accurate and I fell like our ranking is justified.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What really rankles is how close we came to being a top 15 team this year. We have two scoop scores against Miami and outplayed them for the entire game. Indeed, except for the fumbles, that was probably our best game of the year. Then we go up to Pitt, make a great play on a pass, and it falls into the hands of the wrong receiver down field for a TD. Win those two games - and we should have - and we're 11-2 and probably in the top 10, pre-bowl.

Ah, well. Football is a game where sheer bum luck plays a much greater role then any of us would like. Let's hope that we play like we did against VT from the gitgo next year and roll.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I get the anger but GT also has one win over a ranked team (just like every other team people are complaining about) and our second best win is a team with 7 wins. Honestly anywhere from 21-30 is pretty accurate and I fell like our ranking is justified.
UGA won 8, couple of teams we beat won 7. We would beat Auburn if we played them today, tomorrow, or the day after.