HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we should start another thread about the other hires.
Just looking around:
  • Colorado is excited about Deion
  • Nebraska fan opinion on Matt Rhule seems mixed from a brief glance. On the other hand, Carolina fans think that Nebraska got a horrible coach (other failed NFL coaches have done really well, though).
  • Auburn fan opinion on Freeze also seems mixed. There were fans looking forward to Kiffin, I think some fans were also hoping for Deion. There are some fans who see Freeze as a let-down, and some who seem him as sleazy. Possible, Freeze needs to start with a good season to keep the fans happy.
  • Wisconsin adding Fickell as HC and keeping Leonard seems to make just about all of their fans content. Probably one of the safest hiring situations.
  • Arizona State looks content with Kenny Dillingham
And now it looks like Cincinnati wants Satterfield from Louisville ( our 1 st game next year)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
And now it looks like Cincinnati wants Satterfield from Louisville ( our 1 st game next year)
I had hoped for Satterfield when we hired Collins. While he did not win any trophies yet at Louisville, he has turned them into a competitive team. They will be a tough game for us next year. He's a good coach!

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Now that we will play Louisville every year that hire becomes a bit more important for us. Let’s see what they do.

Also - our “pod” definitely seems the hardest of all the ACC teams; with Clemson, wake (recently good), and Louisville now.

We Need Louisville to mess up this hire.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Is Cincinnati a better spot than Louisville? Aren't they G5? Or are they going into a P5 conference?

Never Mind---Cincy is joining the Big XII next year

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I had hoped for Satterfield when we hired Collins. While he did not win any trophies yet at Louisville, he has turned them into a competitive team. They will be a tough game for us next year. He's a good coach!
If ACC HC are being hired away by G5 schools, the conference will be out of the P5 in short order.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Turned them into a competitive team? They were much better under Petrino and Charlie Strong. If anything he stagnated the program. He’ll also leave 0-3 against Kentucky, after Louisville went 6-2 against them in their previous 8 matchups before Satterfield.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Now that we will play Louisville every year that hire becomes a bit more important for us. Let’s see what they do.

Also - our “pod” definitely seems the hardest of all the ACC teams; with Clemson, wake (recently good), and Louisville now.

We Need Louisville to mess up this hire.
Nah we need them to get it right, and beat them anyways. We don't need a cupcake schedule. The ACC this year was horrible top to bottom. We need improvements everywhere.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Turned them into a competitive team? They were much better under Petrino and Charlie Strong. If anything he stagnated the program. He’ll also leave 0-3 against Kentucky, after Louisville went 6-2 against them in their previous 8 matchups before Satterfield.
Ho took a program that went 2-10 the year before he got there, went 25-24 and led them to bowls in 3 of his 4 seasons. Beats the hades out of what Collins did for GT.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
He took a program that went 2-10 the year before he got there, went 25-24 and led them to bowls in 3 of his 4 seasons. Beats the hades out of what Collins did for GT.
Yeah, but Petrino’s last year of 2-10 doesn’t really tell the whole story. He was 34-18 in the 4 years prior with a 21-13 conference record. Satterfield finishes 25-24 with a 16-18 conference record. Even if you include Petrino’s horrific 2018 year where they finished 2-10 and 0-8 in conference, he still has a better record than Satterfield. 36-26 overall and 21-21 in conference.

I don’t really see any way possible you can say Satterfield elevated their program. Like I said, if anything he stagnated it.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but Petrino’s last year of 2-10 doesn’t really tell the whole story. He was 34-18 in the 4 years prior with a 21-13 conference record. Satterfield finishes 25-24 with a 16-18 conference record. Even if you include Petrino’s horrific 2018 year where they finished 2-10 and 0-8 in conference, he still has a better record than Satterfield. 36-26 overall and 21-21 in conference.

I don’t really see any way possible you can say Satterfield elevated their program. Like I said, if anything he stagnated it.
I understand your point, but disagree (just not a huge disagreement). It isn't like Satterfield worked miracles...he didn't. But, the last three years were 4 wins, 6 wins, and 7 wins. And they beat N C State and Wake Forest (as well as Pitt) this past season.

Petrino (besides being a jerk) had Lamar Jackson to work with. And NEVER won more than 9 games with him on the field. He also had allowed the team to degrade to the point they were giving up 50 points or more in 4 straight games when they cut ties with Petrino. Heck, even GT embarrassed them under CPJ scoring 66 on them.

So, agree that Satterfield is not a world beater, but disagree about him being terrible (which is how I read your posts).

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If ACC HC are being hired away by G5 schools, the conference will be out of the P5 in short order.
Have to believe the first call Lville made went to West Lafayette, IN.
Brohm obviously has interest but timing / opportunity wasn’t to his liking last time. Does he still believe he can win bigger at Purdue? It sounded like his big reservation last time around was hanging Purdue out to dry... this time he probably feels like the program is in a good place.
If Brohm leaves the Big Ten for an ACC spot, is that a sign of doom for the BIG? Hardly...
It might be a bad time for us to have them paired up as permanent rivals though... Brohm-led Lville is going to be a handful.

slugboy

Staff member
Louisville wasn't all that happy with Satterfield, and he was on the hot seat for a lot of this season.

I don't think Satterfield leaving for Cincinnati is a bad look for the ACC. I think it's a version of a coaching transfer portal where Satterfield thought he would be happier somewhere else, and Louisville thought they'd be happier if he was somewhere else.

I might look at Garrett Riley if I was Louisville--they like offense and Petrino was a good fit there for a while.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I understand your point, but disagree (just not a huge disagreement). It isn't like Satterfield worked miracles...he didn't. But, the last three years were 4 wins, 6 wins, and 7 wins. And they beat N C State and Wake Forest (as well as Pitt) this past season.

Petrino (besides being a jerk) had Lamar Jackson to work with. And NEVER won more than 9 games with him on the field. He also had allowed the team to degrade to the point they were giving up 50 points or more in 4 straight games when they cut ties with Petrino. Heck, even GT embarrassed them under CPJ scoring 66 on them.

So, agree that Satterfield is not a world beater, but disagree about him being terrible (which is how I read your posts).
I never said he was terrible, he was just ‘OK’. My biggest argument is that he didn’t “elevate” Louisville’s program at all, which is what you originally said. If Petrino won 9 games there, Satterfield would’ve had to have win 9 more times than Petrino, or get to 10 wins at some point. He did neither, and he never even won 9 games. He also went winless against Kentucky, who Petrino went 3-2 against.

I just see no scenario or support to say that Satterfield elevated Louisville’s program to heights it’s never been before, or even been to in recent memory. His best season was about on par for what Petrino did there for 5 years, and close to what Louisville has averaged since 2000, even if the bulk of that was against lesser competition. Plus, the biggest dagger against Satterfield at UofL is that he lost to Geoff Collins. Hard to argue someone is a good coach when that happens.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
But they won’t be by the time he gets there. It’s really not a big deal
We'll just have to agree to disagree then. Having your coach poached by a team entering its first year of P5 football would be embarrassing if it were to happen to Tech. The only scenario I see that its not is like slugboy suggested, if Satterfield is not wanted in Louisville anymore. Maybe that's true and Louisville see's him getting hired away as a win win.

@CEB, I see leaving a longtime P5 program that's average for another longtime P5 program that's average as not a big deal. Purdue to Louisville is a pretty lateral move. If it were Harbaugh or Day to Louisville, that would be a much bigger deal.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Brohm from Perdue is the rumored leader for the UL job, also Dan Mullins being mentioned, if I had to guess I would say they will be better next season 🤬