HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

slugboy

Staff member
LSU just did their self destruction mistakes in the first half instead of the second. LSU outscored UGA 20 to 15 in the second half.
UGA made a ton of mistakes in the second half, and weren’t nearly as serious in the second half as the first. UGA was driving for a TD on the first drive in the second half, and they walked through the motions until they fumbled. If Smart had gotten UGA focused at halftime, LSU probably would have folded after the first drive of the second half. LSU even being able to score 20 in the second half says a lot more about UGA relaxing than it does about LSU being remotely competitive. The second half wasn’t all garbage time, but it was a close neighbor.

Even though LSU is a much better team than us right now, I think we gave UGA a better game.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
For what it’s worth, Wisconsin’s Interim head coach and Auburn’s are staying with the new coach. This happens more than people think. Not sure why so many people didn’t think Key could have stayed with someone like BOB. The point is moot, now, but figured it was worth pointing out.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
For what it’s worth, Wisconsin’s Interim head coach and Auburn’s are staying with the new coach. This happens more than people think. Not sure why so many people didn’t think Key could have stayed with someone like BOB. The point is moot, now, but figured it was worth pointing out.
That IS interesting. I would have been wrong....

JacketFan137

Banned
Paul Johnson was 8-4 at Navy with loses to Ball State, Rutgers, Delaware (FCS) and Wake before coming to Georgia Tech. Chadwell has built the Costal Carolina football program. To judge a coach on two games is not what I would expect Tech fans to do..
the nature of the way chadwell lost is what’s most disappointing. got out coached and blown out cause he had his foot out the door. that is not a very good look.

paul johnson was also coaching a team of lesser talent so those losses are a little more forgivable than a guy getting pasted by conference rivals

Techster

Helluva Engineer
the deion sanders experiment will be interesting. some were convinced there was no way he would get a p5 job 👀

I was definitely one of those, so mea culpa time: I was wrong about Deion and a P5 job. If you're gonna make statements, you gotta own up to them when you're right and wrong.

Good for him. Dude has an amazing agent and admin team...he created an amazing amount of buzz and media around him and his coaching and he got results on the field that led to his job at Colorado.

That being said, and I said it when it was a rumor, I'm glad it's Colorado taking that chance and not GT. If it went right for GT it could have been really good. However if it was just "ho hum" to a disaster, GT probably would have never recovered. Colorado taking the ultimate boom or bust chance.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Yes.

Cautionary note is uga didn’t have to show everything they’ve got to beat us and may have been holding back on their play book.
Yeah, I thought of that. But it didn't feel that way in the first half. It felt like they were being out-coached a bit. They adjusted to the wide attack and we didn't do a lot more after that until garbage time. And I'm sure a puppy fan would say something about 'players didn't care since it just didn't mean more...', but that's all part of coaching and playing. Ask Michigan.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
Those two situations and Fickell at Ohio State when Meyer got the job, were extremely similar to Tech since the interim coach was a former player at the university. Key may stayed, but it would've depended on whether or not the new coach wanted him to. But like you said, it's moot at this point.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
Those two situations and Fickell at Ohio State when Meyer got the job, were extremely similar to Tech since the interim coach was a former player at the university. Key may stayed, but it would've depended on whether or not the new coach wanted him to. But like you said, it's moot at this point.
I am not familiar with the Ohio State situation; but there is little comparison between Cadillac Williams and CBK. Williams has little to none college coaching experience and would most likely not have gotten a head coaching offer. Key on the other hand has the experience at UCF, Alabama and GT. I believe he would have a head coach offer.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
I am not familiar with the Ohio State situation; but there is little comparison between Cadillac Williams and CBK. Williams has little to none college coaching experience and would most likely not have gotten a head coaching offer. Key on the other hand has the experience at UCF, Alabama and GT. I believe he would have a head coach offer.
I'm simply saying that it was an alum. Williams has coaching experience, not as much as Key, but he has been coaching RBs since 2015. Also, many don't believe Key would've gotten a HC position elsewhere this year. Definitely a position coach job though.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I'm simply saying that it was an alum. Williams has coaching experience, not as much as Key, but he has been coaching RBs since 2015. Also, many don't believe Key would've gotten a HC position elsewhere this year. Definitely a position coach job though.
UAB hired Trent Dilfer, who has only been coaching for 3 years total, and has zero experience coaching in college to be their head coach the day after we officially hired Key. If we didn’t hire Key I think it’s a very safe assumption that UAB would have.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
UAB hired Trent Dilfer, who has only been coaching for 3 years total, and has zero experience coaching in college to be their head coach the day after we officially hired Key. If we didn’t hire Key I think it’s a very safe assumption that UAB would have
It would have been possible. Im just stating the sentiments that a lot on this board had. Many of those who were not big on Key questioned his job as the offensive line coach and his losses to Miami and UVA and used them as reasons why he wouldn't get a HC job yet. Im ok with the hire and look forward to seeing what he does, but there were some who didn't think he was ready for that role.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
Henderson State; U of W Ga and Img Academy vs. UCF, Alabama and GT

JacketFan137

Banned
UAB hired Trent Dilfer, who has only been coaching for 3 years total, and has zero experience coaching in college to be their head coach the day after we officially hired Key. If we didn’t hire Key I think it’s a very safe assumption that UAB would have.
to be fair trent dilfer has been a god in high school football and has a lot of experience with his elite 11 camp. he likely has more connections than one might think