HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
So the search firm we’re going to give a couple hundred grand to is returning us the one name that we all knew and wanted to hire anyway. Thanks search firm! So thankful for your services! Search firms never fail! Goooooooooo Parker Exec!!
In a way, yes.

Parker will have been given a set of requirments, and they likely asked, "Okay, but who do you really want?" PAC and JBatt will have provided a list of candidates who they consider top targets. Why? Because it's unseemly for Tech to reach out to those candidates directly.

JBatt: Hello, Nick? Oh...caller ID...yeah, it's me. What are you doing for the next five years or so?
Saban: Get off my phone, J.

Later, Saban mentions that he was flattered by the call, but he's happy at Alabama. Embarrassing.

At the end of the day, Parker will deliver a short list of candidates who Tech is willing to hire and who will accept if offered. At that point, Parker will have earned their fee REGARDLESS of whether Tech actually hires one of the candidates.

At least, that's how retained search generally works. Parker's actual terms may vary, of course.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The biggest thing a search firm does is gather information (background checks, speaking to sources about a candidate for positives/negatives, feel out whether a candidate would be interested at all, etc.). Their job isn't to find you a specific coach, but to get you information on coaches that are interested in you as you are in them. They act as a buffer, and create plausible deniability. They can act as intermediaries (i.e. Chadwell wants salary X, staff pool of Y, and all final say in Z, etc.) to filter out unreasonable candidates. All they really do is get you the best information possible so you can make an informed decision.

Jamey Chadwell has been in linked to GT for 2 years now...as the "obvious fit" for GT. Doesn't mean Chadwell felt the same about GT. Also, it's less noticeable when some dude in dressed like an accountant driving a rental sedan pulls up to Coastal Carolina to discuss with Chadwell about his interest versus Batt or a GT representative.

Given Cabrera's emphasis on discretion, GT was always going to go through a search firm.

Here's a good write up:

Part of the plausible deniability is FOIA avoidance as they are a private organization. Imagine if every correspondence between candidate/agent and Tech was available to the media. This essentially makes them a requirement.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I thought the AD's job was to research potential coach's. $200,000 really?
But then how would people who don’t really do anything useful make a living? And get memberships to sick country clubs, and take ski trips to Aspen? How would the people react if they knew we were actually looking at Chadwell? Of course, everybody knows he wasn’t a real candidate until some random guy from Parker reached out. There could even be leaks!!!!!!! Imagine if social media caught wind that we were looking at Chadwell. It would be a disaster!!

I stand my ground that search firms are dumb and useless and a huge waste of money

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
The search firm has done a good job keeping things hush hush. There are some alumni who've been involved (not just J and Angel), but they're under an NDA and aren't going to risk their standing and involvement to break it. People that have typically been sieves are mouths zipped. If the saying loose lips sink ships is true, then this is a good turn of events.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The biggest thing a search firm does is gather information (background checks, speaking to sources about a candidate for positives/negatives, feel out whether a candidate would be interested at all, etc.). Their job isn't to find you a specific coach, but to get you information on coaches that are interested in you as you are in them. They act as a buffer, and create plausible deniability. They can act as intermediaries (i.e. Chadwell wants salary X, staff pool of Y, and all final say in Z, etc.) to filter out unreasonable candidates. All they really do is get you the best information possible so you can make an informed decision.

Jamey Chadwell has been in linked to GT for 2 years now...as the "obvious fit" for GT. Doesn't mean Chadwell felt the same about GT. Also, it's less noticeable when some dude in dressed like an accountant driving a rental sedan pulls up to Coastal Carolina to discuss with Chadwell about his interest versus Batt or a GT representative.

Given Cabrera's emphasis on discretion, GT was always going to go through a search firm.

Here's a good write up:

Yeah I know what a search firm “does.” It doesn’t make them nearly worth the cost the charge. You could hire your next door neighbor, Steve, to make calls on your behalf and it would provide the same benefits. Search firms are just there to reinforce what you already know. Everybody knew we were looking at Chadwell before this season even started, and before Collins was ever fired. We had interest in Chadwell before last season ever got over. Coastal Carolina already knew it was a possibility. Chadwell has been linked to the GT job for almost 1.5 years now. Social media, GT fans, CCU fans, donors from both sides have known it was a possibility for a loooonnngggg time.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
But then how would people who don’t really do anything useful make a living? And get memberships to sick country clubs, and take ski trips to Aspen? How would the people react if they knew we were actually looking at Chadwell? Of course, everybody knows he wasn’t a real candidate until some random guy from Parker reached out. There could even be leaks!!!!!!! Imagine if social media caught wind that we were looking at Chadwell. It would be a disaster!!

I stand my ground that search firms are dumb and useless and a huge waste of money
Our last search ended up in WAY more wasted money. I’ll take this approach.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I thought the AD's job was to research potential coach's. $200,000 really?

Seriously?

1. You want the AD to research the potential coach by himself? How did that work out last time?
2. Parker reportedly has a database of thousands of candidates for all types of jobs. You don't think they can do a better job to select a football or basketball or golf or softball or whatever coach than some random AD? It's not 1985 where the AD has some magical list of potential candidates in their desk drawer in case their coach leaves. There are certainly no guarantees that a coach will be successful, see No. 1 above, but there are a variety of reasons why a search firm makes sense in a big time hire/search like this. Confidentiality. Plausible deniability. A larger grasp on who the best candidates are. Etc.

See the following.

slugboy

Staff member
Just FYI—I think Parker Executive Search probably did a solid job. I’d be interested to see their list and their profiles. If we had a boring or vague vision, we might get boring results, so a lot of the results are because of us and who we are.

I’m more disappointed in the detective work by professionals.

For what it’s worth, I saw an interview with Schultz about the Tech job and I got the impression that he hadn’t done much legwork for the information he gave. Kind of like “I’ve been covering the team for 30+ years, I know who they’re going to pick” and “I have more interesting things to cover, but since you asked I’ll shoot from the hip”.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Seriously?

1. You want the AD to research the potential coach by himself? How did that work out last time?
2. Parker reportedly has a database of thousands of candidates for all types of jobs. You don't think they can do a better job to select a football or basketball or golf or softball or whatever coach than some random AD? It's not 1985 where the AD has some magical list of potential candidates in their desk drawer in case their coach leaves. There are certainly no guarantees that a coach will be successful, see No. 1 above, but there are a variety of reasons why a search firm makes sense in a big time hire/search like this. Confidentiality. Plausible deniability. A larger grasp on who the best candidates are. Etc.

See the following.

Yes. We’ve already been through this. Doesn’t make them any more useful. Oh Parker has 1,000 candidates on standby? Nice. The one guy everybody knew was the favorite going in is the name that’s getting returned. I guess those other 999 candidates just weren’t cut out for the job.
Search firms don't just help in the search. They also help prevent you from making a wrong hire.

Useless at the rank and file level. Essential at the executive level.
Hmmmmmmmm. Ya know that’s interesting. Because Parker Exec was used to hire Brian Harsin at Auburn. I do believe he was fired before he completed 2 full seasons. How interesting, because I don’t think that was the right hire. But since you said it, I guess it wasn’t the wrong hire either.

Parker isn’t going to recommend anybody that you don’t already want to hire. Unless you get turned down by your first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, maybe even seventh option. Maybe a search firm will get you that eighth candidate. That can’t miss guy who will lead your program to, ahem, a 9-12 record over 1.5 years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The search firm has done a good job keeping things hush hush. There are some alumni who've been involved (not just J and Angel), but they're under an NDA and aren't going to risk their standing and involvement to break it. People that have typically been sieves are mouths zipped. If the saying loose lips sink ships is true, then this is a good turn of events.

Their mouths are zipped because they no longer have an AD feeding them information over an expensive steak lunch at Chops or Capital Grille. They're in the dark just like us "regular" fans...and they are quite unhappy about it from what I've been told.

GT is getting serious about the business of sports.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Yes. We’ve already been through this. Doesn’t make them any more useful. Oh Parker has 1,000 candidates on standby? Nice. The one guy everybody knew was the favorite going in is the name that’s getting returned. I guess those other 999 candidates just weren’t cut out for the job.

Hmmmmmmmm. Ya know that’s interesting. Because Parker Exec was used to hire Brian Harsin at Auburn. I do believe he was fired before he completed 2 full seasons. How interesting, because I don’t think that was the right hire. But since you said it, I guess it wasn’t the wrong hire either.

Parker isn’t going to recommend anybody that you don’t already want to hire. Unless you get turned down by your first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, maybe even seventh option. Maybe a search firm will get you that eighth candidate. That can’t miss guy who will lead your program to, ahem, a 9-12 record over 1.5 years.

And do you know why Brian Harsin was fired? Because he was the 5th or 6th or 7th pick at the time. No one wanted the job and not many want it now.

Maybe you're right. Maybe we should just call Stansbury and see if he'll conduct the search for us since he did such a great job last time. No one is saying there is a guarantee that the hire will work out. But, I'd rather have the input of professionals who do this every day, from major programs to D-III rather than someone who does it every few years. If you don't see the logic in that, that's fine. In this case, we may wind up with someone who we were reportedly interested in for a year or two. Just like in our AD search, right? ;)

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow

Preach it Brother!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I know what a search firm “does.” It doesn’t make them nearly worth the cost the charge. You could hire your next door neighbor, Steve, to make calls on your behalf and it would provide the same benefits. Search firms are just there to reinforce what you already know. Everybody knew we were looking at Chadwell before this season even started, and before Collins was ever fired. We had interest in Chadwell before last season ever got over. Coastal Carolina already knew it was a possibility. Chadwell has been linked to the GT job for almost 1.5 years now. Social media, GT fans, CCU fans, donors from both sides have known it was a possibility for a loooonnngggg time.

From your replies, it's obvious you do not know.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

How do you know Parker DIDN'T recommend Harsin?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oh, c'mon. Even the AD needs to get a good laugh some of the time!!

nods-yes.gif

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

Jacket, I realize that you're probably happy in your role at Spacely Sprockets and that you're not actively looking for a new position.

However, if a career opportunity came along that would enable you to move into a more senior role while providing you with more compensation than you're currently receiving, would you be interested in hearing about it?

Last edited: