HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
From your replies, it's obvious you do not know.
Yadadadada plausible deniability yadadadada background checks Yadadadada

It’s all just noise. “Oh everyone uses one, so we have to, too.” “Confidentiality is key in coaching search.” Yeah, sure thing. We’ve known who our number 1 candidate is for over a year.

Given that we have a brand new AD, I actually don’t hate going through a firm for all of the monotonous tasks required in a coaching search, like background checks. Batt probably needed some time to get acclimated and check everything out, and putting stuff like that on his already full plate probably wouldn’t be the best thing in the world. But acting like search firms are totally necessary and worth their cost is silly. They aren’t, especially not in a world like P5 college football where there’s really only a handful of legitimate candidates for every job opening. If Home Depot wants to find a new CFO, yeah it makes sense for them to go through a search firm. There’s dozens, probably hundreds, or even thousands of legitimate candidates to be sifted through. The job opening to be Georgia Tech’s head football coach probably started with about 15 legit candidates. Quickly got dwindled down 6-7, then quickly got to 3-4 after that. Now we’re at 2. One is the guy who is already employed, the other is the guy who was #1 going in.

All I’m saying is that search firms aren’t worth their cost, and people give them waaaaaayyyyyy too much credit for the “job” they actually do.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Jacket, I realize that you're probably happy in your role at Spacely Sprockets and that you're not actively looking for a new position.

However, if a career opportunity came along that would enable you to move into a more senior role while providing you with more compensation than you're currently receiving, would you be interested in hearing more about it?
You literally know nothing about me. Don’t come at me with BS like this, Randy. If you want to get into a **** measuring contest, I’ll win.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
You literally know nothing about me. Don’t come at me with BS like this, Randy. If you want to get into a **** measuring contest, I’ll win.
Sounds like this is not a good time for you to make a move, Jacket. I understand.

Hey, while I've got you on the line, maybe you can help me out. I've been retained by a major player in the sprocket manufacturing space, and I'm looking for an experienced, mid-level engineering manager with deep knowledge of the industry who's ready to make a major move up the ladder.

Who do you know that might be a good fit for that role? Who should I be talking to?

[And if you don't think I've had guys say, "Hang on a second...", then I heard their office door close...well, you don't know headhunting.]

Peace. We're just killing time before the announcement. Nothing personal. 🙂

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
There has been no decision made yet. Brent Key still has to interview.
What interview? He's already on the payroll, and it's not like we have several internal candidates to consider.

If JBatt is sold on Key, then it's not an interview...it's martinis and cigars and meeting the press. 🍸 :cigar:

[BK is probably more of a whisky drinker, but I went with martinis because there isn't a good whisky emoji.]

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Any sense of where Batt is leaning?
I’ve heard he’s leaning towards a caramel iced coffee with 2 extra shots of expresso when he goes to Starbucks this afternoon, oh you meant coaching search? No clue. I’ve said all the info I’ve been given or heard so far.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
For starters, I don't think the defense is playing that much better than the first four games. Not having Thomas miss time has helped but comparing when Thomas was in it feels about the same. Sure the Ole Miss game was bad. So was the FSU game.

From last year, the new defensive coaches have certainly helped, especially in the secondary. Also, imo, people also tend to overvalue week to week coaching and underrate preparation coaching. Collins having a more direct say in preparation in the offseason also probably played a role as last year it seemed like our secondary was trying to accomplish two different things a lot of the time rather than complimenting each other. To me that tracks with Collins being less hands on, on that side and getting better when he has been more hands on. Once Collins was gone, Thacker likely continued what was changed and kept it going. Good on him for learning. Keion White being available has certainly helped (I believe he missed most of last year). We're not a pug and play defense. We've seen what happens when Charlie goes out. So the addition of one really disruptive DLman makes a huge difference. I think we've also been lucky when it comes to turnovers. Similar to how 2014 was an aberration in that regard for Roof, I'm not sold what we're doing this year when it comes to turnovers is indicative of the way things will be going forward. Turnovers are just too volatile to rely on. The pressure is a better sign of improvement, and I think having White is big in that regard not only from his own production but from the attention he draws away others. That's the biggest hope for the future to me as we have some younger guys coming into their own that should help that.

The OL numbers don't make sense for the narrative that Collins forced transfers over young guys. We effectively brought in 4 OL transfers that were finished products designed to help right away. One only played in 2019 before we had any real chance to recruit. One played significantly in 2020 and 2021 and another in 2021. The last was a back up. Our other transfer OL were guys with multiple years left of development time. Meanwhile we brought in 6 freshmen in the first class. Then the story changed that Key wanted to process Johnson's OL and bring in 12 freshmen Olmen because we were good at the other positions. For one, I don't buy that nonsense anyways, but two, if true makes Key seem worse than it does Collins. Processing players is a scummy move and loading up on 12 OL when we had dire need on both sides elsewhere is just nonsensical. And this is from the same poster that was the driving force behind the "Collins had his hands in everything and is the cause of all the problems" narrative that has taken off.

Okay, let me put out a hypothetical. What if the team is playing more as a team because there is no longer two voices at the top who have differing views of the way thing should be run pulling them in different directions? Sure it could be just a terrible boss at the top keeping everyone down. It could also be a second in command who feels he knows better undermining things as well. I have no clue what was going on behind the scenes. Just the product put on the field. And the product sucked. I'm glad Collins is gone, although I think it was a mistake to fire him when we did but that's a different topic. I'm in favor of cleaning house and while I have my preference there are a number of coaches I'd be fine with (almost any of the rest talked about really). Also, I feel we should clean house but could see the argument for keeping some who were in influential in the units that helped us improve this year. However, the last position coach I would retain would be the OL coach. Now maybe he's better as a HC than OL coach or OC. Let him go somewhere and actually prove it and if we have an opening in 5 or 6 years maybe then he'll be a good choice. And no, I don't think a .500 record against a partial schedule avoiding some of the tougher opponents is proof of that. If Long had taken over and we did the same exact thing all of nobody would be calling for him to be hired.
i appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts. I don’t agree with everything right off the bat but I’m taking time to absorb your points and add them into my own analysis which, as I’ve said, hasn’t resulted in me having a particular favorite. The way I tend to look at most things on the boards is that the facts lie somewhere in the middle. For example, I think it is safe to say the OL has not been good in the entire time since Collins and Key arrived. Some of that is on recruiting and some of the is on coaching. To me that means both of them had a hand in the failure of the OL to improve.

The hypothetical and luck stuff doesn’t move the needle at all for me. I think the defense has done a great job of forcing turnovers and the offense has done a decent job of not turning it over a ton though there’s plenty of room for improvement there. And hypothetically what if the team is playing better because they respect Coach Key and are responding to the teaching of the coaches better and understanding the game plans far better and those plans are much more coherent because the guy in charge before didn’t let his assistants have as much input or they had input and he disregarded it. That’s as much of a proof point as your hypothetical which is to say mine is as meaningless as the one you proposed.

I understand you feel that putting together a successful OL is a prerequisite to being a good HC. I’m not sure I agree or disagree. I won’t try to convince you otherwise. You’ve stated a reasonable set of arguments for your conclusion and I enjoyed reading your perspective. Thank you.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
So the search firm we’re going to give a couple hundred grand to is returning us the one name that we all knew and wanted to hire anyway. Thanks search firm! So thankful for your services! Search firms never fail! Goooooooooo Parker Exec!!
My advice to you is take what you read here with a grain of salt, unless you heard directly from the search firm, nothing you hear here is factual nor confirmed.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope the rumors I'm hearing are just that. But starting to sound like our new AD might be in over his head in this job. Cabrera probably shouldn't have brought in someone with zero hiring experience for this situation and let him loose, IMHO. SMDH

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I would think that if Key had already been picked for the job, it would have been announced. Still could happen the day of the UGA game for motivation but these coaches are busy coaching now. A decision must not have been made yet.

It’s a conspiracy: they don’t want to hire Key so they scheduled the interview for after the game so that if he wins he gets drunk and bombs and they still have an excuse not to hire him!

It’s diabolical

Hey...that's where MY interview is supposed to be. What time is your meeting??? :mad:
Weird, they told me to meet them Above The (Marta) Line

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
For all the talk about “everyone knew” it would be Chadwell I remember a lot of “everyones” KNOWING that it would be BOB because Batt was at Bama, or that it would never again be someone associated with the option…

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
I hope the rumors I'm hearing are just that. But starting to sound like our new AD might be in over his head in this job. Cabrera probably shouldn't have brought in someone with zero hiring experience for this situation and let him loose, IMHO. SMDH
You do realize where Batt came from right? He was mentored and coached under the AD at Alabama, as his deputy. There's no better place to prepare yourself for the next step. Everyone has done nothing but speak highly of Batt, please refrain from throwing smoke in areas you shoudlnt be before the HC job is announced formally. I already get the sense you wont like the hire and therefore you're downplaying Batt. Relax, pour yourself a drink, and watch this play out.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Are you being facetious here?

How did you get from "rumors I'm hearing" to "AD might be in over his head"?