HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
some people seem like they want to blame only collins and some people seem to want to blame only key. reality is probably in the middle.

i have a hard time agreeing any argument that seeks to absolve key of ALL blame when he is at the end of the day the OL coach. if that is your title i don’t think you can act shocked people blame him at some level
The issue is key was given scholarship slot numbers yet Collins wanted instant gratification with transfers. Therefore you lack continuity and flow with a unit. Collins figures OL was plug and play. It is not.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Brent Key’s interview will be Sunday after the UGA game. More candidates could be interviewed but from my understanding, Neville, Cabrera and Batt have worked thoroughly through this all with the Parker Search firm to find candidates truly worthy of a interview and those candidates are Brent Key and Jamey Chadwell. They won’t be wasting any time interviewing candidates who they have doubt in.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
There's been rumors that Batt has had "his guy" for a bit now. In this day and age "formal interviews" are not what they were in the past.

From what I've been told, and what's been confirmed in two separate articles about GT's search for a HFC, Batt and Cabrera have not talked to anyone about the search outside of themselves and Parker Executive. This is the most radio silence from a HFC search ever. If Mansell or Quinlan are naming names, it's because they're trying to read the tea leaves, or its possible it's coming from a candidate's camp. Usually high level donors are included in the discussion, at least under Stansbury/Bobinski/Radakovich, because of their contributions and expected future contributions. In this case Cabrera was REALLY turned off by the old boys club that led to Stansbury and CGC being hired that he wanted to make sure GT got the best guy available and not the preference of a few donors.

There will be a board meeting once the final guy is chosen. There are some donors on the board and they understand Cabrera's wishes for discretion. As soon as it passes with the board we'll start hearing more...very similar to how it went down with hiring Batt.

I had someone in my house within the past three days who is extremely close to both the AD and coach searches. The same guy who told me 9 or 10 months ago that if things didn't work out, Stansbury would be the one to go first or in tandem as he would not be allowed to make the next football coach hire. Literally fed him and his family dinner, play golf with this guy, vacation with him and our wives are very close. He gave me nothing. Not a hint or anything. He did tell me on the day we hired Batt that he is a great guy and should be a great hire. He said that we'll be fine, but that's it. And I've been blowing him up for months over it. (You would know the name if I said it.)

I'm impressed that it has remained so quiet and professional and hope that means they either have their man or are waiting to interview Key after the season to make the final decision.

Hoping it doesn't mean that the search is a cluster and Cabrera is going back on his word to spend the money to be competitive.... ;) 🤣 :gt: :buzz:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Brent Key’s interview will be Sunday after the UGA game. More candidates could be interviewed but from my understanding, Neville, Cabrera and Batt have worked thoroughly through this all with the Parker Search firm to find candidates truly worthy of a interview and those candidates are Brent Key and Jamey Chadwell. They won’t be wasting any time interviewing candidates who they have doubt in.
So, you think I won't get a call to be interviewed

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Brent Key makes the most sense for UAB. Brent has deep ties to the south for recruiting, specifically the state of Alabama, Brent is from Birmingham, worked under a well respected coach within the state, has HC experience, etc. Brent is the perfect hire for UAB.
If that happens how many of our guys then transfer there.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
It's very embarrassing for the AA when very public interviews take place and the potential new coach declines the offer. I am certain Batt and Cabrera want to avoid the spectacle of Chadwell (or someone else) leaving the Edge Center and getting a raise at their current school. I would imagine they will try to have whatever deal is made to be a lock. And not just a handshake and promise to sign later.
That shouldn't happen. In a well-run search, the basic framework of what will be offered and accepted are generally explored via the headhunter who is talking openly to both sides before the interview ever occurs. Plausible deniability is the name of the game.

"We never interviewed"..."I never met with, etc., etc."

Neither side wants it publicly known that a candidate didn't pan out or that an institution didn't have enough money, etc. Reputations are at stake.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Maybe overall, I think he was asking specifically about to UAB.
Yeah I meant to go back and correct that. I would imagine 3-5 players join him at UAB if he was to get the UAB job and not the Tech job. I think you could see a total of 10-15 overall. I got mixed up, that’s my bad.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I thought his interview WAS the game. :LOL:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So the search firm we’re going to give a couple hundred grand to is returning us the one name that we all knew and wanted to hire anyway. Thanks search firm! So thankful for your services! Search firms never fail! Goooooooooo Parker Exec!!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would think that if Key had already been picked for the job, it would have been announced. Still could happen the day of the UGA game for motivation but these coaches are busy coaching now. A decision must not have been made yet.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
So the search firm we’re going to give a couple hundred grand to is returning us the one name that we all knew and wanted to hire anyway. Thanks search firm! So thankful for your services! Search firms never fail! Goooooooooo Parker Exec!!
I thought the AD's job was to research potential coach's. $200,000 really?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Remember, Parker Search gets paid a percentage up front and the balance upon hire, so they are going to feel this out. And they may or may not be talking to Chadwell through his agent at the outset. I suspect that it goes something like this:

Agent: You interested in talking to Tech?
Chadwell: Yes. How much are they willing to pay?
Agent: What would it take?
Chadwell: Around $x.00. Plus I want this and that.
Agent: That's in the ballpark of what they have in mind. If they meet all your requirements, will you accept the job?
Chadwell: Yes.
Agent: Would you consider a counter from Coastal? You're pretty popular and you're family is happy there.
Chadwell: I'm ready for the move.
Agent: Okay. I'll set it up.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If that happens how many of our guys then transfer there.
Someone needs to want you if you transfer. A whole lot of players didn't find landing spots across the Country last year. We only lost a couple of non grads who were contributors last year. Will likely lose a number of players but very few non grads who are significant contributors.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

The biggest thing a search firm does is gather information (background checks, speaking to sources about a candidate for positives/negatives, feel out whether a candidate would be interested at all, etc.). Their job isn't to find you a specific coach, but to get you information on coaches that are interested in you as you are in them. They act as a buffer, and create plausible deniability. They can act as intermediaries (i.e. Chadwell wants salary X, staff pool of Y, and all final say in Z, etc.) to filter out unreasonable candidates. All they really do is get you the best information possible so you can make an informed decision.

Jamey Chadwell has been in linked to GT for 2 years now...as the "obvious fit" for GT. Doesn't mean Chadwell felt the same about GT. Also, it's less noticeable when some dude in dressed like an accountant driving a rental sedan pulls up to Coastal Carolina to discuss with Chadwell about his interest versus Batt or a GT representative.

Given Cabrera's emphasis on discretion, GT was always going to go through a search firm.

Here's a good write up: