HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Kiffin is being mentioned for Auburn!!!
And Nebraska considering O'Brien, who has Nebraska ties, according to this:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That's interesting. I don't see, from an outsider's perspective, a nickel's worth of difference between Ole Miss and Auburn in terms of one being a better place than the other for a head FB coach. In fact, Ole Miss may be more desirable due to less interference from the lunatic fringe.It's odd for a coach to make a lateral move. Outside of maybe more $$$ personally, what am I missing here?
I'm sure $$ is involved, but it may be a more ploy to get a raise - matching $$ from Ole Miss.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
We totally out played them except for two plays, the punt return and the pick six.
On defense correct... On offense well wasnt all roses and I honestly its mostly on the oline and also vanilla chip long... Pyron and McCollum bailed him out

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
That's interesting. I don't see, from an outsider's perspective, a nickel's worth of difference between Ole Miss and Auburn in terms of one being a better place than the other for a head FB coach. In fact, Ole Miss may be more desirable due to less interference from the lunatic fringe.It's odd for a coach to make a lateral move. Outside of maybe more $$$ personally, what am I missing here?
I think Kiffin would love the idea of coaching in the Auburn and Bama rivalry game every year. I was told Auburn was close to getting Kiffin last time around and there was interest from both sides.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Whoever we bring in as head coach, I think that their coordinator/assistant hires can be equally as impactful.

Was scanning the Miami boards for insight into what their fans think is going on with their program – some have pointed out that in their opinion, they have a bunch of individual coaches that are not acting as a team. This makes some sense given their talent vs. results. I looked at their coaching roster and Cristobal has brought in a bunch of senior-level guys – Broyles award winners and/or former head coaches. On paper, they seem like a dream team, but in actuality, they may be a bunch of retreads trying to burnish their resume. We need to avoid the temptation to hire coaches who aren’t willing to work together as a team. There were indications of that with our prior regime.

JacketFan137

Banned
money is everything and the looney tunes with the money are desperate at this point

Deleted member 6494

He did great there as a HC, multiple 10 win seasons iirc
Sure, he knows how to win and kept GOL afloat at Tech, but he was fired for not adhering to some of their standards. Does this have anything to do with our present situation; I just replied to another poster who said Chadwell reminded him of Ralph Friedgen. I was just praising Friedgen and would like it if Chadwell was like Friedgen; personally, I think Chadwell is an innovator.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Kiffin would love the idea of coaching in the Auburn and Bama rivalry game every year. I was told Auburn was close to getting Kiffin last time around and there was interest from both sides.
I think one big thing that could steer Kiffin away from Auburn, is the Alabama job. I think Kiffin would love to get that job when Saban retires and I think he would have a shot at getting it. If he goes to Auburn and say he’s still there when saban calls it a career, no way Bama hires him.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d rather keep Key than hire BOB.
As a Houston Texans fan, I had to suffer through several years of BOB and am still suffering through the mess he left behind when fired. Although, admittedly, he was actually decent as a coach, just a horrible GM and judge of talent - I’d be worried that would manifest itself in poor recruiting ability.

Deleted member 6494

He did great there as a HC, multiple 10 win seasons iirc
I am not sure what your remarks are about; I made it clear that I was a great fan of Friedgen. I stated he was the catalyst for GOL's biggest winning years, and he also produced big winning at Maryland. The only reason I brought his name up was because another poster said Chadwell reminded him of Friegden; I then stated well let's hire Chadwell. I have in no way downed Friedgen; I have only praised him.

Deleted member 6494

I think one big thing that could steer Kiffin away from Auburn, is the Alabama job. I think Kiffin would love to get that job when Saban retires and I think he would have a shot at getting it. If he goes to Auburn and say he’s still there when saban calls it a career, no way Bama hires him.
👍

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You realize those two plays are worth 14 points and take away two offensive possessions for VT.

We got 4 turnovers and had a +3 turnover margin. It’s hard to lose that way yet we almost did. FYI, in the NFL teams with a plus 3 turnover margin win 90% of the time. Likely lower in college but not by much.

We won, celebrate as we should. We are still a bad team. Winning beats losing.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have heard exactly this from my Bama connections. They expect Kiffen to come. If Kiffen knows that, he'll stay put, because it looks to me like Saban may soon call it quits.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Or, were we able to be successfully negatively recruited because our AD was withholding recruiting resources? There were so many factors at play: academics, offensive scheme, terrible AD, monetary arms race. Trying to claim that just our offense was causing recruiting issues seems to be a bit reductive. We got caught up in a storm and our AD “Sasquatch” was no where to be found. I truly think any coach would have struggled from 2015 onward at GT given the AD.
Sorry, I wasn't saying that the system was the only problem - but it was a significant hurdle that many folks thought CPJs system would/could overcome. It was and is obvious that the poor financial support was a huge problem and helped make recruiting a bigger problem. Combine those two factors and you have a really bad situation.

Moving forward, we'll see how serious Cabrera is about supporting athletics. CPJ was so polarizing and it's really unfortunate.

As we try to put things back together with a new HC, I honestly hope that everyone chips in with donations and ticket purchases. The program needs better core revenue from non-mega donors.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
So where do we sit on the Pecking Order for new HC? I realize that all things aren't equal and that some coaches may prioritize things differently for different schools. But creating a pecking order by coach is too hard on a Monday morning. So, for confirmed HC roles where is GT?

This is where one article on Athlon Sports I saw put us...

1) Auburn
2) Nebraska
3) Wisconsin
4) Arizona State
5) Georgia Tech
6) Colorado
7) Charlotte

Pretty brutal, to be listed below Arizona State in terms of attractiveness.

Oh, and no way is Nebraska a more attractive program than Wisconsin. Someone needs to join the 2020s I think.

Last edited:

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
So where do we sit on the Pecking Order for new HC? I realize that all things aren't equal and that some coaches may prioritize things differently for different schools. But creating a pecking order by coach is too hard on a Monday morning. So, for confirmed HC roles where is GT?

This is where one article on Athlon Sports I saw put us...

1) Auburn
2) Nebraska
3) Wisconsin
4) Arizona State
5) Georgia Tech
6) Colorado
7) Charlotte

Pretty brutal, to be listed below Arizona State in terms of attractiveness.
Currently, that is the truth. A lot of Tech fans have been putting their heads in the sand for years, not realizing how the lack of institutional commitment would affect us.