HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
Back to the coaching search:

I've always said Key had to go 6-2 (with one of the losses to UGA). My reasoning was Key had to do something exceptional with an 8 game "tryout". Key's bar for serious consideration, fair or not, is always going to be higher than any candidate because of what most are mentioning. He was part of the staff that resulted in where we're at. How do you overcome that? By putting together a resume of wins that has GT going to a bowl game and puts us in the ACCCG.

Now if you look at what Key has done, he's actually done pretty good considering he took over an absolute sh!tshow and had to get the team performing at a higher level during the season. No ways around it, the UVA loss was not a good look for his resume. He beat a Pitt team that was ranked at the time, Duke which is 6-3, and VT which is tied for worse team in the Coastal and the ACC. FSU is turning the corner so that's not a bad loss.

As it stands now, Key deserves to be interviewed, but I'm not sure he would be the guy for me considering all the other good candidates out there.
This season has been a good opportunity for Key. I would think his chances of getting a head coaching job are much greater than they would have been if Collins had been fired after the season. My guess is he will be offered by someone.

Deleted member 6494

And look at how good the Fridge did at Maryland without O’leary, we definitely let the wrong one get away!
There is a huge difference between being an OC and a head coach. Some of the Maryland fans stated that Fridge did not like to recruit. Also, a head coach has to be the go-to guy for personal problems and the OC is not. The head coach has to be somewhat of a psyhologist along with being the HC.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We played one of the worst teams in the P5 this weekend and they turned the ball over 4 times and missed a FG and we won by 1. For a good portion of the game it looked like they might beat us handily. Im happy for the win but that's not really a give the interim coach the full time job performance.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
We played one of the worst teams in the P5 this weekend and they turned the ball over 4 times and missed a FG and we won by 1. For a good portion of the game it looked like they might beat us handily. Im happy for the win but that's not really a give the interim coach the full time job performance.
We totally out played them except for two plays, the punt return and the pick six.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve said it before, but CBK 100% has the mindset and personality to be a successful HC at GT. He understands the place, which most don’t. It’s very unlikely, but I’d love to se what he could do with a dynamic young OC (maybe GT finally gets to be the place where one of these hot shots makes a name for himself).

That said, I’m not saying I think it’s the best move. But it sure would make for a great story to root for.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There is a huge difference between being an OC and a head coach. Some of the Maryland fans stated that Fridge did not like to recruit. Also, a head coach has to be the go-to guy for personal problems and the OC is not. The head coach has to be somewhat of a psyhologist along with being the HC.
He did great there as a HC, multiple 10 win seasons iirc

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’ve said it before, but CBK 100% has the mindset and personality to be a successful HC at GT. He understands the place, which most don’t. It’s very unlikely, but I’d love to se what he could do with a dynamic young OC (maybe GT finally gets to be the place where one of these hot shots makes a name for himself).

That said, I’m not saying I think it’s the best move. But it sure would make for a great story to root for.

This is where I'm at on Key. Probably not gonna happen. The fb coach is the AD's chance to stamp himself on the program. Doubt a new guy would wanna make 'keeping the interim' his "big move".

But, if it happens, pretty easy story and guy to root for.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We totally out played them except for two plays, the punt return and the pick six.
Those plays certainly didn't help but if you are playing an awful team and you find yourself down by 11 in the 4th quarter then you can't really blame it all on two plays. You aren't playing all that well. They have plenty of plays they would like back as well.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is where I'm at on Key. Probably not gonna happen. The fb coach is the AD's chance to stamp himself on the program. Doubt a new guy would wanna make 'keeping the interim' his "big move".

But, if it happens, pretty easy story and guy to root for.
I think Batt is smart enough to make the ‘right move’ over the ‘big move’. Not saying it should be Key but just because he’s the interim shouldn’t exclude him from consideration.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Those plays certainly didn't help but if you are playing an awful team and you find yourself down by 11 in the 4th quarter then you can't really blame it all on two plays. You aren't playing all that well. They have plenty of plays they would like back as well.
I mean those two plays directly accounted for 13 points. So 13>11. That said, the three FG’s should have been TDs and that’s 12 points. Also 12>11 so that cuts both ways.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I mean those two plays directly accounted for 13 points. So 13>11. That said, the three FG’s should have been TDs and that’s 12 points. Also 12>11 so that cuts both ways.
Yeah, but they also turned the ball over 4 times, once on 1st and goal, another time near the red zone, missed an easy field goal, and pissed a PAT. It's not like they played a clean game and got lucky on a couple of our mistakes. They were making plenty of mistakes too. I'm not going to go into dissecting what would have happened on every permutation of potential outcomes if we pick and choose which plays to overturn. I'm just going to go with my original thought, that we played an awful team that really didn't play very well against us, and we had to come back from a double digit deficit to win by one. It was a win, but not really an impressive one that should get a coach a contract.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
We took 2 in 2021 and you can't say that taking 5 transfers wasn't part of the reason why we only took 2 the following year.

I realize 2019 was not fully on him, but I find it hard to believe he was unable to find 1 or 2 OL willing to jump to us given is supposed recruiting prowess. I don't hold 2019 against him, but I do think he could have done better.
Hard to believe, seriously? Key came on board on or about Jan 10, less than a month before final signing day and weeks after early signing day. How many quality OL do you think were left unsigned? I'm not on the Key bandwagon, but lets at least give him a fair evaluation.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Hard to believe, seriously? Key came on board on or about Jan 10, less than a month before final signing day and weeks after early signing day. How many quality OL do you think were left unsigned? I'm not on the Key bandwagon, but lets at least give him a fair evaluation.
I’m talking about Collins fam

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking again of Collins and the wholesale transition to a different offense… that always struck me as more a reactionary move than a strategic one.

I hope we have more of a long term roadmap with whatever direction we go into now. There should be plans now around what we do next if the hire bombs, if they’re middling, and if they’re great (eg who’s next if they leave for more $$$).

Our plan last time was rip the bandaid off and there was clearly no contingency plan for if things went worse than hoped. Stansbury doubled down in his comments instead.

Could stronger leadership have convinced whatever big money boosters who wanted an NFL like offense to be happy with someone more option-adjacent, with planning like “even if it doesn’t work, we’ll be more prepared player-wise for the next step of the transition under the next guy”? I don’t know, but the way things went down with Collins makes me doubt it was even tried.

Instead we burned the team down to try to save it with no preparation for the (obvious) risks.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Kiffin is being mentioned for Auburn!!!
That's interesting. I don't see, from an outsider's perspective, a nickel's worth of difference between Ole Miss and Auburn in terms of one being a better place than the other for a head FB coach. In fact, Ole Miss may be more desirable due to less interference from the lunatic fringe.It's odd for a coach to make a lateral move. Outside of maybe more $$$ personally, what am I missing here?