HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Currently, that is the truth. A lot of Tech fans have been putting their heads in the sand for years, not realizing how the lack of institutional commitment would affect us.
I would not say it was/is lack of awareness more than it was resignation to the idea that there was little to no control that we had or have in regards to the situation. I think that is the overarching reason the fan base has shrunk...it wasn't Johnson or Collins or the TO or all the bad seasons over the last 7-8 years.

The smartest people saw that the school wasn't really all that interested in the whole affair. Those of us who stayed saw it too but are just too darn stubborn to walk away.As I told my son over the weekend, Cabrera's recent comments and actions were the most significant things to happen to GT football since Dr. Rice and Bobby Ross (if he backs up his speech with appropriate actions. At this time, I have no reason to believe he won't).

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Currently, that is the truth. A lot of Tech fans have been putting their heads in the sand for years, not realizing how the lack of institutional commitment would affect us.
I'm not sure why this has to turn into an indictment of other fans.

So, ignoring the shade thrown at those stupid others, it sounds like you think that's an accurate reflection of the attractiveness of the job? So if AzState and GT offer the same national-scale coach for the same money you think on-average they'd pick AzState?

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That's interesting. I don't see, from an outsider's perspective, a nickel's worth of difference between Ole Miss and Auburn in terms of one being a better place than the other for a head FB coach. In fact, Ole Miss may be more desirable due to less interference from the lunatic fringe.It's odd for a coach to make a lateral move. Outside of maybe more $$$ personally, what am I missing here?

Auburn will pay him more $$$ and he will have access to more $$$ in the NIL dept. as well. It's also easier to get recruits from the ATL to play in Auburn, Alabama than Oxford, Mississippi.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Auburn will pay him more $$$ and he will have access to more $$$ in the NIL dept. as well. It's also easier to get recruits from the ATL to play in Auburn, Alabama than Oxford, Mississippi.
OTOH, Auburn is and always has been the Vandy or GT of their state, albeit much closer in stature to the "bigger brother" than we have been recently. Ole Miss, otoh, is either the "big brother" in their state or no worse than equivalent to State as far as I can tell and La/Miss is pretty fertile recruiting areas as well.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure why this has to turn into an indictment of other fans who just weren't as smart as you were.

So, ignoring the shade thrown at those stupid others, it sounds like you think that's an accurate reflection of the attractiveness of the job? So if AzState and GT offer the same national-scale coach for the same money you think on-average they'd pick AzState?

I don't think it really matters since I don't think we'll be looking at the same candidates. i.e. very low odds we're bidding directly against the Sun Devils. They'll be looking at West Coast guys. We're probably hiring out of the SE. Same for Wisconsin, Nebraska and, likely, Auburn. We'll be fishing in different ponds. In a way, we got lucky this year with 'competing' open jobs. None of our real regional peers look to be open.

I don't know as much about AZ State's situation, beyond the headlines. But they appear to have NCAA issues and a mess to clean up. They're also in the Pac12, which is in a worse place than the ACC.

The national perception of Tech is bad. I mean bad. Half the national media still seems to think we run the flexbone. Three straight three win seasons, depleted roster, little institutional support... Those may or may not be fair and accurate. However, I think when it comes down to interviews and candidates taking a hard look at what we have, what Batt and Cabrera are committing to, that Key has been able to turn the ship a little already with minor changes, I do think we look like a better opportunity than a surface level analysis would reveal.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
OTOH, Auburn is and always has been the Vandy or GT of their state, albeit much closer in stature to the "bigger brother" than we have been recently. Ole Miss, otoh, is either the "big brother" in their state or no worse than equivalent to State as far as I can tell and La/Miss is pretty fertile recruiting areas as well.

FWIW, I have a hard time seeing Kiffin take the job at Auburn for the very reason that was posted above about Bama being his goal. My reply was just that the money, resources, and geographic location of Auburn are a far cry better than Ole Miss.

I think you are correct, however, in that Kiffin can succeed at Ole Miss far easier than he could at Auburn.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Let's talk about Bill O'Brien.

In 2012 he took over at Penn State for Paterno without knowing the extent of the penalties. When they were announced they were harsh, forty lost ships over four years. He then saw a mass exodus of most his best players and starters. They were down to 65 scholarship players and, yet, still went 8-4 that year. For his work, BOB was Big10, ESPN, and Bear Brant National Coach of the year. (Yeah, he sucks) He followed that season with an almost as impressive 7-5 season.

The next year he took over for a Houston Texans team that was coming off a 2-14 season. In his first season, he went 9-7 to barely miss the playoffs. He then proceeded to win his division four out of the next five years with the lone bad season when he lost both JJ Watt and DeShawn Watson to season ending injuries. They went 1-8 after both were lost for the year (2-10 after losing JJ)

Coming into the 2020 season, he was given a huge extension and the GM role. Yes, he did a horrible job as GM and was fired after only four games, but to suggest he is a bad coach is plain wrong. He has won in extremely challenging circumstances at both the college and NFL level. There is zero doubt in my mind that he could very successful at Tech

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Coming into the 2020 season, he was given a huge extension and the GM role. Yes, he did a horrible job as GM and was fired after only four games, but to suggest he is a bad coach is plain wrong. He has won in extremely challenging circumstances at both the college and NFL level. There is zero doubt in my mind that he could very successful at Tech
If I understand things the GM in the NFL is responsible for talent and roster management, albeit with some varying degree of assistance from the HC. He also has responsibility for management of payroll $. In college FB, the HC has to wear all of those hats. Mismanagement of talent and roster is a bit scary. I see the positives that you mention in regards to Penn State. But this issue is a big red flag to me. I am aware that the NFL and college are two separate things really but the line is getting blurrier. WTBS, I plan to support him if he gets the jobs, just like I did those who came before him.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

In 2012 he took over at Penn State for Paterno without knowing the extent of the penalties. When they were announced they were harsh, forty lost ships over four years. He then saw a mass exodus of most his best players and starters. They were down to 65 scholarship players and, yet, still went 8-4 that year. For his work, BOB was Big10, ESPN, and Bear Brant National Coach of the year. (Yeah, he sucks) He followed that season with an almost as impressive 7-5 season.

The next year he took over for a Houston Texans team that was coming off a 2-14 season. In his first season, he went 9-7 to barely miss the playoffs. He then proceeded to win his division four out of the next five years with the lone bad season when he lost both JJ Watt and DeShawn Watson to season ending injuries. They went 1-8 after bother were lost for the year (2-10 after lost JJ)

I agree. To call him bad is just misinformed. His resume would stack up favorably to most , if not all, we might interview.
Question is, IMO, do we want experienced, proven in almost all his jobs, OR do we want the new and upcoming, with significantly more risk ?
Our school CANNOT FAIL in this hire, if we are to regain some relevance in CFB. I'm glad it's not my job to hire someone......:oops:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
If I understand things the GM in the NFL is responsible for talent and roster management, albeit with some varying degree of assistance from the HC. He also has responsibility for management of payroll $. In college FB, the HC has to wear all of those hats. Mismanagement of talent and roster is a bit scary. I see the positives that you mention in regards to Penn State. But this issue is a big red flag to me. I am aware that the NFL and college are two separate things really but the line is getting blurrier. WTBS, I plan to support him if he gets the jobs, just like I did those who came before him.
Being an NFL GM, where you have to manage a draft, salary caps, trades, free agent signings, practice squads, etc. is absolutely nothing like managing a roster as a college head coach. It is also nothing like being an NFL head coach, which is why most head coaches do not do it. Otherwise, please list out all the successful college head coaches who were also successful NFL GMs.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I would not say it was/is lack of awareness more than it was resignation to the idea that there was little to no control that we had or have in regards to the situation. I think that is the overarching reason the fan base has shrunk...it wasn't Johnson or Collins or the TO or all the bad seasons over the last 7-8 years.

The smartest people saw that the school wasn't really all that interested in the whole affair. Those of us who stayed saw it too but are just too darn stubborn to walk away.As I told my son over the weekend, Cabrera's recent comments and actions were the most significant things to happen to GT football since Dr. Rice and Bobby Ross (if he backs up his speech with appropriate actions. At this time, I have no reason to believe he won't).
I agree with you about Cabrera's recent comments or may I add what I perceived as commitment, but will add that I think it goes all the way back to Bobby Dodd as I think he was the last coach to have the school behind athletics. It is my understanding that somewhere in the 70s or 80s the school was about to get out of athletics and some folks went to them at that time and talked them into continuing and they agreed. My impression was that the school never really got behind athletics but let some raise money, hire Homer Rice etc and supporters were actually the ones continuing athletics and not the school in effect, they just approved it, sanctioned it, however you might say it, certainly I could be wrong about how all that came down.

What I'm about to say is speculation on my part after listening to a Big 10 school Pres. talk about athletics in the Big 10 and what is important to them. It was said that being an AAU school and belonging to the Big 10 is much more than athletics, it involves collaboration amongst all the schools in academic/research projects. i believe that the media wants GT in the Big 10 because Atlanta is the 7th biggest media mkt in US, GT academia wants in the Big 10 because of the potential on the academic side as mentioned above and that is the driving force for GT academics getting behind a successful athletic program. The Big 10 school president also said they want schools that are just as committed to athletics as academics. Forgive me for this paragraph, I have mentioned this before but thought it was appropriate again for this discussion in case some might not have seen the previous same posting.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow

The next year he took over for a Houston Texans team that was coming off a 2-14 season. In his first season, he went 9-7 to barely miss the playoffs. He then proceeded to win his division four out of the next five years with the lone bad season when he lost both JJ Watt and DeShawn Watson to season ending injuries. They went 1-8 after both were lost for the year (2-10 after losing JJ)

Maybe he can bring George Godsey in as his OC.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

The next year he took over for a Houston Texans team that was coming off a 2-14 season. In his first season, he went 9-7 to barely miss the playoffs. He then proceeded to win his division four out of the next five years with the lone bad season when he lost both JJ Watt and DeShawn Watson to season ending injuries. They went 1-8 after bother were lost for the year (2-10 after lost JJ)

Everyone has their pick who they would like. I don't know much about Bob other than he was a Tech years ago. What he did at Penn State was fine for what he had to work with there. What he did at Houston don't matter to me that was Pro ball which is not the same thing as coaching in college. I know who I would like but that doesn't mean he would work. I just hope the one we get everyone backs him and the players will play hard for him.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Everyone has their pick who they would like. I don't know much about Bob other than he was a Tech years ago. What he did at Penn State was fine for what he had to work with there. What he did at Houston don't matter to me that was Pro ball which is not the same thing as coaching in college. I know who I would like but that doesn't mean he would work. I just hope the one we get everyone backs him and the players will play hard for him.
Yeah, everyone has the favorites. I would be happy with any of Chadwell, O'Brien, Mullen or Clark, but I can understand favoring one over another. I just do not get the trashing of qualified and quality coaches just because they are not "your guy." (Not directed at you.)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, everyone has the favorites. I would be happy with any of Chadwell, O'Brien, Mullen or Clark, but I can understand favoring one over another. I just do not get the trashing of qualified and quality coaches just because they are not "your guy." (Not directed at you.)
I know we knew each other on the Hive and I know you love Tech. and like you I really don't like to see anyone talk bad about a coach. I'm sure we can all find things we like about each and things we don't like about them.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think BoB would do very well, he’s an excellent X’s and O’s coach, get him the money needed to win, hire a great coordinators, analysts, recruiting support and he will make us proud. He’s coached under Saban, Belicheck, O’leary, Gailey, the experience and knowledge are there in spades. He is imo a very safe hire to make that would pull us back from the precipice and beyond depending on the money GT decides to invest in the program.