HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we are dreaming that Key will beat Miami, UVA and VaTEch, or whatever to get us to a bowl game ( I am rooting for him, as I did Saturday at the Flats), but if he does, he probably does deserve a shot AND wouldn't he do it the way Dabo did? By taking a lower salary and using the savings for Brent Venebles (joking, but he may be available fr) type assistants on offense, defense and recruiting.
UVA and VaTech are much worse than the teams we've beaten in the past weeks. Miami is the toughest of those three, but they haven't really shown much and it looks like they are going through the growing pains of a first year head coach. I think its much more of a possibility than one might think.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I can 100% guarantee you if Rhule wants to be a college HC next season, he'll have P5 options.

His college coaching resume will have schools lined up just to speak with him.

Well … they all say that until they see the money, now don't they? If Tech decides to interview Rhule and the money is right, he'll listen. Will he come to Tech? It depends on whether he wants to coach at another strange place. Baptists at Baylor; STEM nerds at Tech.

Personally, I don't want a guy who ignores player behavior like he did. But … he does know how to build programs at schools with recruiting limits and he has ties to Texas, almost as good a recruiting ground as Georgia.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If Key can get to 6-6 (4-3 in his interim term) and we get to a bowl game, I think I could go for him getting the gig.

• This is his dream job. He wouldn't leave us like Curry, Ross and O'Leary did.
  • Meaning he could be here for the next 15-20 years if he is successful.
  • Will there be some growing pains? Yes. But he's learned under O'Leary and Saban. He has that sort of Ross, O'Leary, Johnson old school mentality.
  • Could possibly keep the best of the assistants in place and may not see a huge hit in recruiting and transfers if the players see that what he is doing is successful.
  • Could be in the Pat Fitzgerald model at Northwestern. Former player at that school. Loves his school. May have a down year now and then, but isn't going anywhere else and could be a good long term solution.

In the end, if he can finish strong, is he more or less of a risk than someone from the outside who may have good experience, but may need time to get adjusted, bring in new players, lose transfers and recruits, etc.? The more we win, the more I hear him, the more I like it.
I like what I have seen of Key, and the players seem to play hard for him.
But I really don't think he would stay here 15-20 years just not something that happens in college coaching much any more.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
UVA and VaTech are much worse than the teams we've beaten in the past weeks. Miami is the toughest of those three, but they haven't really shown much and it looks like they are going through the growing pains of a first year head coach. I think its much more of a possibility than one might think.
Unfortunately, they don't have to show much to beat Tech. We aren't all that good. It's down there and they have better athletes. I think it could be close, but I wouldn't bet against them.

But I'll be cheering for the Jackets, of course.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If Key can get to 6-6 (4-3 in his interim term) and we get to a bowl game, I think I could go for him getting the gig.

• This is his dream job. He wouldn't leave us like Curry, Ross and O'Leary did.
  • Meaning he could be here for the next 15-20 years if he is successful.
  • Will there be some growing pains? Yes. But he's learned under O'Leary and Saban. He has that sort of Ross, O'Leary, Johnson old school mentality.
  • Could possibly keep the best of the assistants in place and may not see a huge hit in recruiting and transfers if the players see that what he is doing is successful.
  • Could be in the Pat Fitzgerald model at Northwestern. Former player at that school. Loves his school. May have a down year now and then, but isn't going anywhere else and could be a good long term solution.

In the end, if he can finish strong, is he more or less of a risk than someone from the outside who may have good experience, but may need time to get adjusted, bring in new players, lose transfers and recruits, etc.? The more we win, the more I hear him, the more I like it.
I think all this is true and I'd like to believe it. However, I'm afraid that the era of long time coaches is on life support. If Key gets to 6 wins, he's the obvious choice and if we offer him enough, he could stick with Tech long term (8 - 10 years). So let's all cheer loud enough to make that happen. It worked with Tinker Bell; it can work here.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So, if we get to 6-7 wins, is it because Key did a good job or is it because he's just adequate?

Our talent was never ... never ... as poor as the last guy made us look. So even a decent coach was gonna raise our level.

This is a fair question, imho, and not meant to disparage the improvement Key has brought so far.

What kinds of things should we look for, within the improved play, that help differentiate between 'good coach' and 'better than Collins'? To me, one is an accomplishment and the other just requires one to be able to breathe air.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
So, if we get to 6-7 wins, is it because Key did a good job or is it because he's just adequate?

Our talent was never ... never ... as poor as the last guy made us look. So even a decent coach was gonna raise our level.

This is a fair question, imho, and not meant to disparage the improvement Key has brought so far.

What kinds of things should we look for, within the improved play, that help differentiate between 'good coach' and 'better than Collins'? To me, one is an accomplishment and the other just requires one to be able to breathe air.
It’s not as much about Key doing anything amazing as it about Collins doing things that were just silly. Once that was undone, we immediately improved.

There is 1 variable that is different with GT football. Everything else is the same.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

The talent has been underutilized since Geoff got here and most anybody's "better than Collins", but still the rapidity of the turnaround in attitude has been striking.
We needed a leader and Brent has proven to be one. I'm sure there are others who could do us well, but the one we've got is getting it done.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

This is a legit question – and the answer is influenced by the fact that our bar is set soooo low.

One thing I like to see in a coach and a team is how quickly they address shortcomings. I’ve been pleased that CBK has immediately taken steps to fix the punt blocks which had been absolute disasters, and changed out our kickers so that we can at least expect 3 points within the 30-yard line of our opponents. This tells me that he is prioritizing fixes to our most impactful problems. There are many more issues and we still have a long way to go. It will be interesting to see if this trend of fixing the most obvious issues affecting our ability to put points on the board continues against Virginia.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Unfortunately, they don't have to show much to beat Tech. We aren't all that good. It's down there and they have better athletes. I think it could be close, but I wouldn't bet against them.

But I'll be cheering for the Jackets, of course.
Miami is at home. You are right, they have the athletes to beat us, but they had the athletes to beat UNC and MTSU. Like I said, UM is having growing pains and it might get worse before it gets better.

Tech isn't great, but the team is better than it was a few weeks ago, so like you said, it'll be a close game. I think with the adjustments that have been made these past two weeks in addition to the improvements that should be made over the next few weeks, we have a good chance of winning.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Key has at least demonstrated he has what it takes to be a head coach with preparation and game management (still learning). He has not shown recruiting skills for bringing in competitive talent for an entire team roster yet. I think he can do it well enough but that is an unknown for now. Can he recruit a top 25 class or even a top 30. He has seen the GC recruiting process so he should be able to continue that model plus he has already established relationships with a lot of high school kids interested in GT. Getting 3 more wins would be huge for him. I hope he gets it done.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Key has at least demonstrated he has what it takes to be a head coach with preparation and game management (still learning). He has not shown recruiting skills for bringing in competitive talent for an entire team roster yet. I think he can do it well enough but that is an unknown for now. Can he recruit a top 25 class or even a top 30. He has seen the GC recruiting process so he should be able to continue that model plus he has already established relationships with a lot of high school kids interested in GT. Getting 3 more wins would be huge for him. I hope he gets it done.

When the Cabal first tried to oust Harsin at Auburn, the thinking was this: You can either spend millions and hire the best coach (the old way) or ... you can invest millions in NIL, attract better players, and even an average coach will do better with upgraded talent (the new way). The Cabal even said this - Before NIL, Harsin actually WAS the right guy. In today's world (a scant 12 months later), everything has changed.

I'm not worried about Key. I'm worried about the GTAA and who they put in charge. You can surround Key with folks he needs.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We have a long way to go to get where we want to and need to be. I still don't think we're playing anywhere near where we could be. I anticipate we'll progressively get better on Offense each game we play. I expect with the bye week we'll see a proportionally larger step. By the time we play UNC, I think our O will be as good as our OL will let us and hopefully our Defense will continue to make strides, as well.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m pulling for Coach Key, but if the Carolina coach is interested, Tech would be stupid not to go after him. He has proven that he is a very good college coach. He will have his pick of jobs.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m pulling for Coach Key, but if the Carolina coach is interested, Tech would be stupid not to go after him. He has proven that he is a very good college coach. He will have his pick of jobs.
Tech has ALWAYS looked at coaches in terms of "fit". Urban Meyer would be a great coach, but not a great fit.

I have no idea if Chadwell would work well at Tech or not. But you better believe that Key, as an alum and as the interim coach, has a LOT of equity right now. If he plays his hand well, it's his for the taking. In the Curry days, it's called being the "Tech Man". Norm Van Brocklin said it made him throw up.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech has ALWAYS looked at coaches in terms of "fit". Urban Meyer would be a great coach, but not a great fit.

I have no idea if Chadwell would work well at Tech or not. But you better believe that Key, as an alum and as the interim coach, has a LOT of equity right now. If he plays his hand well, it's his for the taking. In the Curry days, it's called being the "Tech Man". Norm Van Brocklin said it made him throw up.
I would love for Brent Key to win the Coastal and get Tech in the ACC Championship Game. I’m pulling for him, but you know what you have in the Carolina coach. He has won at schools similar to Tech.

I would not be disappointed if Coach Key finished this season strong and earned the opportunity to be the head coach at Tech.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The best thing about Rhule isn’t that he may come here but that he will take someone with deeper pockets out of the market, and move us one spot up.
I think you are correct. If Nebraska can get this guy, they will. One down.

I still think Chadwell is our guy, but I know there is a lot of sentiment for Key. And, I do respect the fact that he has taken a shipwreck and brought some order and discipline to get it floating again.

One other note about a Key decision that was not made in the game Saturday:

The Duke QB got spotted for a first down when his backside hit on the last drive, and he was about 12-18" short of the line to gain. This was a great opportunity to use the challenge for a review, but it was not done.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Mullen, Herman, McGee, Rhule I think should all get calls. I’m in the small percentage that would call Meyer to at least get told no. I’m not against Chadwell necessarily but why are so many people in on him and not mentioning Cignetti?