HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

CEB

Helluva Engineer
So, if we get to 6-7 wins, is it because Key did a good job or is it because he's just adequate?

Our talent was never ... never ... as poor as the last guy made us look. So even a decent coach was gonna raise our level.

This is a fair question, imho, and not meant to disparage the improvement Key has brought so far.

What kinds of things should we look for, within the improved play, that help differentiate between 'good coach' and 'better than Collins'? To me, one is an accomplishment and the other just requires one to be able to breathe air.
This is a very fair question and the short answer obviously is that time will tell. It’s very possible that Collins really was so bad that he brought everyone down. I find that hard to believe but wow, the evidence is piling up.
As for Key and his coaching ability....
a PERFECT coach gets the most out of what he’s got every single day. That doesn’t always equal a “W” because sometimes you are outclassed, but it’s the ability to have people mentally and physically prepared to execute at the height of their ability AND the ability to put them in positions (or maybe keep them out of positions) to do so. A big part of that is everyone buying into the belief that what your doing is going to be successful. That’s the generic “coach-speak” answer.
We definitely have a very skewed view of who we are and what we can be. Key certainly deserves props for the immediate improvement we’ve seen and he is no doubt benefiting from what we’ve all witnessed under the previous guy. Where I think we can safely say Key is a great coach: he has this team bought in and believing in what they are doing. We have had so many opportunities for “here we go again” moments over the last two weeks and each time we responded exactly the opposite of how I would expect a perennial 3 win team to respond. That’s no small feat and it’s no accident.
Key has another opportunity this week. Not only does he have the luxury of time, he also has some great teachable moments:
1. Duke game was 50+ minutes of all Tech. We should’ve won that one going away. We lost focus late. Mental lapses on punt and D and loss of intensity on offense. Virtually no one is good enough to coast; especially us right now. Emphasize finishing; maintaining intensity for 60 minutes. Cliche, when you say it, but we just had a perfect illustration of it... hammer that home.
2. Similar to the above, in the last two games we have been in control late in game and half only to give up big drives. I don’t know if it’s a D issue bubbling up (the old prevent adage) or if we lose intensity and start clock watching. Pitt had three major two minute drives: 1 to close first half and 2 to nearly get the game back. Duke had one at the end of each half. Of the five drives, 4 were TD and 1 was a FG. Dukes were “set up” but we didn’t get stops. Pitt, just legit drove it down the field 3 times.

That’s the next thing I want to see... then we can come up with another and another, and sooner or later, we’ve got ourselves a football coach!

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
The new AD will be in a pickle if Key keeps winning and gets us to bowl-game. If he keeps him and we are bad next year it will be 'what an idiot'! If he brings in his coach and we don't get to a bowl game next year it will be 'what an idiot!' I would say that's why they make the big-bucks, but I'm not sure that's true for ADs.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The new AD will be in a pickle if Key keeps winning and gets us to bowl-game. If he keeps him and we are bad next year it will be 'what an idiot'! If he brings in his coach and we don't get to a bowl game next year it will be 'what an idiot!' I would say that's why they make the big-bucks, but I'm not sure that's true for ADs.

Not necessarily. It all depends on the contract.

If the New AD come sinto a bowl bound coach Key and signs key to a 4 year contract with an optical 5th year option, and a buyout that includes a try it year ( Buyout is maximum at year 2 with year 1 containing a performance driven reduction tied to competiveness) And then heavily load it with incentives. It would be the most tech contract ever. Maybe even with a major bonus and increase and auto renew on an ACC championship win or CFP appearance.

Keeping key would mean a lot of assistants key might keep would be on the second year of their contract that first year allowing better coaching management instead of buying out an entire staff.

If we are winning it isn't a bad play. If we are losing it won't matter anyway.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Same would be true if Key has a good audition but gets passed over and the next guy has a bad year. It's actually easier on him if Key tanks.
AD's get big enough bucks. They need two things - they need to know what they're doing, and they need a little luck.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think you’re right... and somewhat unfairly, Key has a really high bar. I think it’s going to have to be a really compelling scenario to keep him. By that, I mean the people hiring the AD pretty much say “he’s our guy.” There has been plenty of speculation on what W/L gets us to that point, but since we’re hiring an AD to rebuild the football program, I don’t see that person walking in and volunteering that they love the staff we already have in place.... unless he or she is 100% certain that the response will be, “No $#*! Captain Obvious! Get the contract done!”

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The talent has been underutilized since Geoff got here and most anybody's "better than Collins", but still the rapidity of the turnaround in attitude has been striking.
We needed a leader and Brent has proven to be one. I'm sure there are others who could do us well, but the one we've got is getting it done.

This is fair but it's also fair to analyze the finishes to both games, particularly Duke. That should've been a blowout.

I haven't made up my mind - and, of course, that's what the new AD is lurkin' and waiting for - so I'm curious to see how things play out from that perspective.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think you’re right... and somewhat unfairly, Key has a really high bar. I think it’s going to have to be a really compelling scenario to keep him. By that, I mean the people hiring the AD pretty much say “he’s our guy.” There has been plenty of speculation on what W/L gets us to that point, but since we’re hiring an AD to rebuild the football program, I don’t see that person walking in and volunteering that they love the staff we already have in place.... unless he or she is 100% certain that the response will be, “No $#*! Captain Obvious! Get the contract done!”
It's a big move to fire an entire staff and start over ... again.

The new AD has his hands full raising money, building the new Edge, establishing an NIL program and a vision/direction for the entire athletics program. If Key is even close to having a respectable team this year and next, I suspect the new AD will punt this decision or give him a performance-based contract.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Since people keep mentioning the Pitt and Duke games, isn’t it obvious that in both games Tech showed that it is learning how to win? The fact that Key put the team in the position to win is pretty clear to me. The fact that the team did not play a perfect game for 60 minutes just means that learning is a process not a destination.

Are we 1/2 way to learning how to give maximum effort and peak performance for 60 minutes? 3/4 of the way? 9/10 of the way? I think Key will help us see what our ceiling is in the next two games. And that may tell us all we need to know about whether he is our coach.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

The new AD has his hands full raising money, building the new Edge, establishing an NIL program and a vision/direction for the entire athletics program. If Key is even close to having a respectable team this year and next, I suspect the new AD will punt this decision or give him a performance-based contract.
I hope Key wins and I hope you’re right. The last AD wasn’t fired for any of those other things you mentioned as I understand it. They’re certainly relevant and certainly need attention... no denying that. I just think the person coming in knows the last guy had the wrong coach. Priorities 1 and 2 are going to be get there right coach and don’t screw up the contract. If the school and the fan base like the current coach (that’s the big “IF” here), then the new AD has cover on one top priority right out of the gate. If we’re not sold on the current coach, I would expect a new AD to live or die with a person of their choosing.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

I cannot see us offering an incentive based contract for only a small number (1-2) of years. Either we go all in with Key or we go after Chadwell, BOB, or Mullen. There are too many good options out there for us to play games or do it half arsed.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I hope Key wins and I hope you’re right. The last AD wasn’t fired for any of those other things you mentioned as I understand it. They’re certainly relevant and certainly need attention... no denying that. I just think the person coming in knows the last guy had the wrong coach. Priorities 1 and 2 are going to be get there right coach and don’t screw up the contract. If the school and the fan base like the current coach (that’s the big “IF” here), then the new AD has cover on one top priority right out of the gate. If we’re not sold on the current coach, I would expect a new AD to live or die with a person of their choosing.
I don't disagree with your view, but we also do not want to hire someone and set them up to fail. Cabrera mentioned that there is a lot Tech needs to catch up on first (specifically, NIL) and that's not going to happen in 6 months.

It may be more more prudent to ask, what infrastructure do we need to have to compete, how big is the gap, and how long will it take? Then ... talk about Geoff and why he failed and what the outlook for Key might be.

I think a splashy big hire without addressing foundational problems is only going to make things frustrating for all.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I cannot see us offering an incentive based contract for only a small number (1-2) of years. Either we go all in with Key or we go after Chadwell, BOB, or Mullen. There are too many good options out there for us to play games or do it half arsed.
You don't have to structure it that way. You can offer a 4 or 5 year contract with minimum win rates to trigger a buyout.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You don't have to structure it that way. You can offer a 4 or 5 year contract with minimum win rates to trigger a buyout.
Yes, I get it. Not sure he would accept a contract that was heavily structured with incentives and small buyouts.

Regardless, your post implies hesitation and indecisiveness on the part of the new AD. I would imagine given the options that either the new AD feels very strong about retaining Key or he moves on to one of the other candidates. The other options are too good to not go all in with either Key or them.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with your view, but we also do not want to hire someone and set them up to fail. Cabrera mentioned that there is a lot Tech needs to catch up on first (specifically, NIL) and that's not going to happen in 6 months.

It may be more more prudent to ask, what infrastructure do we need to have to compete, how big is the gap, and how long will it take? Then ... talk about Geoff and why he failed and what the outlook for Key might be.

I think a splashy big hire without addressing foundational problems is only going to make things frustrating for all.
Again, I hope you’re right. I hope Key gets us bowling and we move forward with him. I love the idea of it!
I also appreciate that context and if that same context is given to the new AD, Key becomes a very viable option (assuming the continued trajectory).
The bolded part I can’t possibly agree with any more. 100%.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
There would be no reason to give Key a big guaranteed contract. He has no leverage to negotiate for one.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I get it. Not sure he would accept a contract that was heavily structured with incentives and small buyouts.

Regardless, your post implies hesitation and indecisiveness on the part of the new AD. I would imagine given the options that either the new AD feels very strong about retaining Key or he moves on to one of the other candidates. The other options are too good to not go all in with either Key or them.
That’s kind of my feeling too. It has to be a really easy decision to keep Key. Either because he has won unquestionably and improved the program or because other possibilities are exhausted. I hope it’s the former...

slugboy

Staff member
If I'm an AD (or a manager), the baseline I'm looking for is "no heartaches" from my people--they're easy for me to work with, and they meet expectations and don't put problems on my doorstep. There are some ADs that want "their people" but I'd just want people I can rely on and get along with.
Coaches that exceed what I expect are even better.
I also know I can't stand still--NCAA sports are evolving and getting more competitive. My coaches are going to have to be a part of a plan to progress every year so we don't fall behind.
If Key shows that he can win here and looks like he'll improve year over year as we build a program, then he's got several things to his favor--no unnecessary disruption (i.e. continuity, already here), being a known quantity (no unhappy surprises), loyal to the organization.

If I were an AD, I'd wonder "can I get along with him?" and "will he get better year-over-year, or will he plateau as a 6/7-win coach?".

Back in 2003, Ted Roof took over as Interim HC for Carl Franks. Franks had gone 2-5, and Roof went 2-3 the rest of the year, but looked much better than Franks in doing so, and people thought he'd turn that program around. He got the "interim" label taken off. Then, he won 2 games, 1 game, 0 games, and 1 game before getting replaced with Cutcliffe. If you've seen Ed Orgeron as an interim HC, there are very few head coaches who do as well as he does as an interim HC--the problem is, he's a much better interim HC than a non-interim HC. People who saw that don't want a coach that backslides when they get the job "for real"--and that happens in coaching.

The people offering the HC job have to figure out "is the guy I'm going to hire going to do well here?". Even if Key kills it this year, there's still some doubt for the new AD and his hiring team.