HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
As soon as we become Alabama, Ohio State, or Florida then I'm on board? I'm not saying he wouldn't be good but he was awful at Carolina. Like embarrassingly awful.
And, so what? Saban, Meyer and Spurrier were embarrassingly awful in the NFL too.

Also, you implying that they are not good coaches, but rather they only performed well in college because they coached at Alabama, Ohio State, or Florida is one of the most interesting things that someone might suggest.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
At this point, my two main options would be Chadwell and O'Brien. I don't think Mullen or Rhule would ever come here. Deion would be amazing but until there is some real indication of that being possible, its hard to take it seriously. If I were AD, I would put the full court press on Chadwell.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
oh brother here we go again.

LOL...let's make a bet. Deion Sanders actually getting a P5 job next season.

Here's the bet: If Deion is the coach of a P5 team next season, I'll make a donation to GT's athletic fund in your name. However, if he's NOT a P5 coach next season, you can make a donation in GTSwarm's name. $100 bet. Put up or shut up.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
You have to keep those things quiet if planning on leaving your current job unless looking for a pay increase. If looking it can kill recruiting. Play it cool like he is doing. Act like you are flattered to be considered.
If Deion or anyone is having "back channel" discussions any and all AD candidates should bolt for home because he will never be in charge of anything. Leaving to Tech to screw up a second chance.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think Leonhard already has the job at Wisconsin unless he completely crumbles as the interim coach.

Wisconsin's schedule the rest of the way sets up real well for Leonhard. Their toughest test the rest of the way is Minnesota and Purdue. Iowa is tough defensively, but their offense is attrocious. I think he's in a similar situation as Brent Key...if he loses only 2 games the rest way, he's probably in the driver's seat...however, LOTS of donors and admins love Leonhard, and firing Chryst early was their way of letting Leonhard earn it on the field. Key, however, is still a big question for next year even if he does only lose 2 games the rest of the way.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Wisconsin's schedule the rest of the way sets up real well for Leonhard. Their toughest test the rest of the way is Minnesota and Purdue. Iowa is tough defensively, but their offense is attrocious. I think he's in a similar situation as Brent Key...if he loses only 2 games the rest way, he's probably in the driver's seat...however, LOTS of donors and admins love Leonhard, and firing Chryst early was their way of letting Leonhard earn it on the field. Key, however, is still a big question for next year even if he does only lose 2 games the rest of the way.
The biggest difference in the two, I think, is that Key really has to be extraordinary for the rest of the year and even that might not be enough. Leonhard was basically groomed for this. He was always going to be the head coach at Wisconsin, it was just a matter of when. If he weren't there then Chryst likely doesn't get fired. That's why I don't think they go the Leipold route. If they do then someone else is going to snatch Leonhard.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
And, so what? Saban, Meyer and Spurrier were embarrassingly awful in the NFL too.

Also, you implying that they are not good coaches, but rather they only performed well in college because they coached at Alabama, Ohio State, or Florida is one of the most interesting things that someone might suggest.
What’s your point? Good people have bad moments? Good we agree. Are you claiming rhule has the same resume as those three guys?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
What’s your point? Good people have bad moments? Good we agree. Are you claiming rhule has the same resume as those three guys?
I think I have been clear. I think it is foolish to suggest that he should not be considered for a head coaching because he failed in the NFL.

I never said Rhule is as good as Saban, Meyer and Spurrier. He isn't, but that only goes to further prove my point that great coaches can fail miserably in the NFL, doesn't it?

Regardless, Rhule turned around two college programs. He is a very good coach and his record as a college coach makes him worthy of consideration despite what he did in the NFL

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think if Key goes 6-2 (with an almost automatic loss to GA) that will swing the pendulum his way. I know a new AD will want to make a splash and help get more excitement to push up the revenue. But at the end, if Key goes 6-2, can maintain stability in his coaching staff, and hopefully reduce the number of transfers, I think that could be enough. The one caveat is how well he and his staff can recruit. They have a major impediment now since it will tough to get any recruit to commit without knowing the status of the coaching staff.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
If Key can get to 6-6 (4-3 in his interim term) and we get to a bowl game, I think I could go for him getting the gig.

• This is his dream job. He wouldn't leave us like Curry, Ross and O'Leary did.
  • Meaning he could be here for the next 15-20 years if he is successful.
  • Will there be some growing pains? Yes. But he's learned under O'Leary and Saban. He has that sort of Ross, O'Leary, Johnson old school mentality.
  • Could possibly keep the best of the assistants in place and may not see a huge hit in recruiting and transfers if the players see that what he is doing is successful.
  • Could be in the Pat Fitzgerald model at Northwestern. Former player at that school. Loves his school. May have a down year now and then, but isn't going anywhere else and could be a good long term solution.

In the end, if he can finish strong, is he more or less of a risk than someone from the outside who may have good experience, but may need time to get adjusted, bring in new players, lose transfers and recruits, etc.? The more we win, the more I hear him, the more I like it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think I have been clear. I think it is foolish to suggest that he should not be considered for a head coaching because he failed in the NFL.

I never said Rhule is as good as Saban, Meyer and Spurrier. He isn't, but that only goes to further prove my point that great coaches can fail miserably in the NFL, doesn't it?

Regardless, Rhule turned around two college programs. He is a very good coach and his record as a college coach makes him worthy of consideration despite what he did in the NFL

I can 100% guarantee you if Rhule wants to be a college HC next season, he'll have P5 options.

His college coaching resume will have schools lined up just to speak with him.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone with inside information know what the talk is of transfers now? I know when they got rid of the person who used to be in charge there was a lot of talk of transfers. I know they have 30 days to do that but wonder if the attitudes have changed with the results on the field.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On the flip side of this. He may not want any of those options.

Yup...all of it is contingent on Rhule. He's a good college coach, that's being paid (A LOT) not to coach. No reason for him to rush into a bad situation.

EDIT: Watch out for Texas and Texas A&M. They are not super happy with Sarkisian and Jimbo, and if they can get a guy of Rhule's caliber, I don't think the mega donors at Texas/TX A&M will have any issues buying Sark's and Jimbo's contract out. Rhule coached at Baylor and turned them around. He'd be a good fit for either Texas or TX A&M.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If Key can get to 6-6 (4-3 in his interim term) and we get to a bowl game, I think I could go for him getting the gig.

• This is his dream job. He wouldn't leave us like Curry, Ross and O'Leary did.
  • Meaning he could be here for the next 15-20 years if he is successful.
  • Will there be some growing pains? Yes. But he's learned under O'Leary and Saban. He has that sort of Ross, O'Leary, Johnson old school mentality.
  • Could possibly keep the best of the assistants in place and may not see a huge hit in recruiting and transfers if the players see that what he is doing is successful.
  • Could be in the Pat Fitzgerald model at Northwestern. Former player at that school. Loves his school. May have a down year now and then, but isn't going anywhere else and could be a good long term solution.

In the end, if he can finish strong, is he more or less of a risk than someone from the outside who may have good experience, but may need time to get adjusted, bring in new players, lose transfers and recruits, etc.? The more we win, the more I hear him, the more I like it.
I think we are dreaming that Key will beat Miami, UVA and VaTEch, or whatever to get us to a bowl game ( I am rooting for him, as I did Saturday at the Flats), but if he does, he probably does deserve a shot AND wouldn't he do it the way Dabo did? By taking a lower salary and using the savings for Brent Venebles (joking, but he may be available fr) type assistants on offense, defense and recruiting.