HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would take Rhule in a heartbeat. Saban/Urban/many others failed in the NFL too.
He is a top tier CFB coach. I think he ends up at Auburn most likely now, but would love to have him here.
I've not heard one peep at Auburn advocating for Rhule. While he has a good record at college level turnarounds, he is not from the South and that is a big red flag. Harsin is viewed as a complete no-show in recruiting wars because he simply cannot relate to the very kids he is recruiting. This has been a concern for Harsin's entire time here.

I think AU will pursue a coach experienced with SEC play. It's Hugh Freeze's to turn down, but I'm not sure what HF thinks about the role.

slugboy

Staff member
I've not heard one peep at Auburn advocating for Rhule. While he has a good record at college level turnarounds, he is not from the South and that is a big red flag. Harsin is viewed as a complete no-show in recruiting wars because he simply cannot relate to the very kids he is recruiting. This has been a concern for Harsin's entire time here.

I think AU will pursue a coach experienced with SEC play. It's Hugh Freeze's to turn down, but I'm not sure what HF thinks about the role.
I guess the Deion chatter has quieted down?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Mullen's reputation at Florida was two-fold. One, he did not handle the press or his staff well and yes, he came across as a jerk. So much so that no one, not one, stepped forward to defend him. On that note alone, Gators were glad to see him go. The other however, was football related. SEC media, many of whom played college ball, uniformly reported on the lack of discipline and the loose, sloppy practices that Mullen ran.

Collins worked for Mullen. I wonder if there is any connection to what he did with Mullen and what he did at Tech? I don't know but there's no one I know in the SEC that has anything good to say about Mullen.
Yet he has had success in each head coaching position he has held. That the fans at Fladah are as fickle as the ones at Auburn, Bama, Texas A&M, etc, etc, etc … doesn't mean that we should be dumb enough to take their opinions or the opinions of the "SEC Media" seriously. I think the only criteria we should use in determining who to interview is past success. Then we can see who the new AD - or Neville, if he is still there - can make his own decision.

Btw, I' pulling for either Chadwell or Key. But Mullen or Bohannon next. This is probably Key's job to lose.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yet he has had success in each head coaching position he has held. That the fans at Fladah are as fickle as the ones at Auburn, Bama, Texas A&M, etc, etc, etc … doesn't mean that we should be dumb enough to take their opinions or the opinions of the "SEC Media" seriously. I think the only criteria we should use in determining who to interview is past success. Then we can see who the new AD - or Neville, if he is still there - can make his own decision.

Btw, I' pulling for either Chadwell or Key. But Mullen or Bohannon next. This is probably Key's job to lose.
Mullen has only had two HC jobs. He did meh at Mississippi State but that's a tough gig and I give him credit for that. As to Florida, he declined over time and lost the support of his own administration which wanted him gone. In less than three years!

Is he a good coach? That's debatable. He clearly took the Gators backward, so I'm not sold on that. But I wouldn't shoot the messengers. People can see with their own eyes and many folks who saw what he was doing at Florida were sounding the alarm long before Dan took them over the cliff.

He's a no for me.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Rhule has a large buyout from the Panthers with offset language. He will do TV until a job he wants opens up. He won't be one of those guys looking for the first available job.

Whatever good he did at Baylor he was 100 times worse in Carolina. I mean it was awful there.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Whatever good he did at Baylor he was 100 times worse in Carolina. I mean it was awful there.
Ok, now do Saban, Meyer and Spurrier in the NFL. I do not care how Rhule did in the NFL. He is a great coach. Besides, it takes a completely different skill set to be successful in the NFL, that many excellent college coaches do not have..

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The only people that were talking about Deion at P5 schools are fans that want "sizzle", and talking media heads that need juicy gossip to take up minutes on their shows.
After thinking about it, although there are several reasons why Deion might want to come here, there's one reason why he absolutely won't.
He'll be taking his son with him to a P-5 next year, but it most certainly won't be one with a deficient offensive line. That's the one overriding reason why it has no chance of happening.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Why? Other great college coaches have failed in the NFL. He was a great college coach at Temple and Baylor.
correct, I understand totally what your rationalization is about him as a college coach.
He may very well do awesome at another college.
I believe this is why he was cut loose so early with Carolina.
They didn't wont any bad feelings, so giving him an opportunity to be a viable candidate on a list of colleges is a good sentiment.
However, I think he is tainted in the GT realm with his connection with CGC.
I heard this even before he became coach of Panthers.
Nor does he stay at a college long.
We need someone that wants to take the job and make it their own place and make GT relevant again.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Outside of money, why would anyone go to Auburn?
Alabama casts a huge shadow. Much more now than in any time after Bear.
I would not like to play Georgia, Alabama, LSU, and A&M every year. Soon to be OU and Texas.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
correct, I understand totally what your rationalization is about him as a college coach.
He may very well do awesome at another college.
I believe this is why he was cut loose so early with Carolina.
They didn't wont any bad feelings, so giving him an opportunity to be a viable candidate on a list of colleges is a good sentiment.
However, I think he is tainted in the GT realm with his connection with CGC.
I heard this even before he became coach of Panthers.
Nor does he stay at a college long.
We need someone that wants to take the job and make it their own place and make GT relevant again.
I was not specifically saying I want Rhule over another candidate. Rather, I do not think he should be dismissed altogether because of how he did in the NFL.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would not like to play Georgia, Alabama, LSU, and A&M every year. Soon to be OU and Texas.
Historically, Auburn was a Top 10 team nationally and there is no shortage of resources. There is money, fans and a program of Big Time Ball that many smaller schools just can't emulate. Harsin himself said that Auburn was nothing like Boise State (where he had been successful) and he wanted the challenge of competing in the Big Games.

Auburn does need an overhaul of its approach. It's falling behind Alabama (in a big way) and UGA as well. I don't think any coach who is any good worries about the schedule ... in almost every case, they know what they are getting into and the demands of the job.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I was not specifically saying I want Rhule over another candidate. Rather, I do not think he should be dismissed altogether because of how he did in the NFL.
I wouldn't dismiss Rhule because of his NFL failure. Saban didn't had great success in the NFL, either. Pete Carroll wasn't super successful in the NFL before coaching at USC. Rhule has certainly proven he's a really good college head coach. However, I suspect that since Rhule is getting so much money from Carolina that he will be very picky about what his next head coaching opportunity will be. He could sit back and see what comes open this year and if he doesn't love any of the opportunities could sit back another year and most likely have the pick of the litter. On the other hand I would definitely have someone reach out to his agent just to gauge if there would be any interest at all. Leave no stone unturned. Worst that can happen is he says "no I'm not interested." No harm in that.

I could see Auburn going after him because they can't resist a big fish. I am not saying he would take that job ;)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I’ve already confirmed Deion has had back channel discussions but there was a new name I heard today.
If Deion or anyone is having "back channel" discussions any and all AD candidates should bolt for home because he will never be in charge of anything. Leaving to Tech to screw up a second chance.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I am still pulling for Key. Beause every time we win, the better Key looks. But specifically, because Key knows better than any other candidate how things roll here. The recruiting difficulties and academic hurdles here and how to work with it. And TBH outside of the weird clock management v Duke and not taking the 3 points v Pitt in 4th quarters, he seems to be doing everything right. Team looks better every time I see them. I want to see what he is able to do with 2 weeks off. It it looks even better, he deserves equal consideration as everyone else IMO.

Will be happy with Chadwell. Whats not to like? If not either of these two, it will be letdown for me. And I don't want to see a "settle for coach xxxxxxx" hire. If we are at that point, just stick with Key anyway.

JacketFan137

Banned
After thinking about it, although there are several reasons why Deion might want to come here, there's one reason why he absolutely won't.
He'll be taking his son with him to a P-5 next year, but it most certainly won't be one with a deficient offensive line. That's the one overriding reason why it has no chance of happening.
i don’t think so. we have a young line that wasn’t being coached up. i think they’ve looked better even with the injuries possibly due to how we’ve altered practice.

almost every lineman on the 2 deep will be returning. it could eventually be a strength of the team if we get development right

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok, now do Saban, Meyer and Spurrier in the NFL. I do not care how Rhule did in the NFL. He is a great coach. Besides, it takes a completely different skill set to be successful in the NFL, that many excellent college coaches do not have..
As soon as we become Alabama, Ohio State, or Florida then I'm on board? I'm not saying he wouldn't be good but he was awful at Carolina. Like embarrassingly awful.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The right coach could win big at AU, they have everything needed to win. Saban won’t coach forever.